Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 6th October 2010, 05:51 PM
dis dis is offline
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: midlands u.k
Default The Thing (2011) Prequel

hi all,anybody know about said film?
just saw some shots/info about it on " aint it cool " site,and looks like its happening?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 6th October 2010, 06:34 PM
Stephen@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, Scotland
Default

Filming has already finished. The worst thing about the film is even though it's a prequel, they're calling it The Thing. One of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.
__________________
"Give me grain or give me death!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 6th October 2010, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

I will watch this as a fan, but I'm not expecting much. Is it due out soon?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 6th October 2010, 09:17 PM
Curious Goods's Avatar
Cult Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Belgium
Competition

I'm surprised they are even making the movie. Although the original has become a cult movie, it tanked at the box office. And studio's usually only look at the numbers. Weird.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Just like the Ridley Scott Alien prequels (but on a low budget scale) this has appeal to Carpenter & horror fans. And thank god it's not a remake of the original. I say bring it on!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 6th October 2010, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Goods View Post
I'm surprised they are even making the movie. Although the original has become a cult movie, it tanked at the box office. And studio's usually only look at the numbers. Weird.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Just like the Ridley Scott Alien prequels (but on a low budget scale) this has appeal to Carpenter & horror fans. And thank god it's not a remake of the original. I say bring it on!
Yeah, NO REMAKE PLEASE! But I think that a remake has been considered along the way though. Rumours of a sequel too. Organism reaches civilisation sort of scenario. Could happen at some point. Another Apocalypse movie.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 8th October 2010, 12:25 PM
wayfarer's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I'm a big fan of JC's movie. I was not impressed when I heard a prequel was being filmed but remain open-minded as normal. They've attempted to film most of the creature effects using physical effects which is good and a minimal use of CGI. That's the good news. The bad news is that however good the feature is, we know the ending. It's like someone filming a series of movies explaining how Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader...MUST NOT MENTION THE PREQUELS.

So the last shot should be of the dog escaping with the helicopter chasing it. It's all a bit "so what". But then many franchises recycle the same old shit over and over again and people flock to those.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 8th October 2010, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
I'm a big fan of JC's movie. I was not impressed when I heard a prequel was being filmed but remain open-minded as normal. They've attempted to film most of the creature effects using physical effects which is good and a minimal use of CGI. That's the good news. The bad news is that however good the feature is, we know the ending. It's like someone filming a series of movies explaining how Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader...MUST NOT MENTION THE PREQUELS.

So the last shot should be of the dog escaping with the helicopter chasing it. It's all a bit "so what". But then many franchises recycle the same old shit over and over again and people flock to those.
They have a nasty habit of overusing CGI in films these days don't they? Even for basics, such as blood splatter. CGI blood? I'm glad the majority of the FX in this will be Physical, as you say. But yeah, we all know how it ends for them in this movie, so there is little to be excited about, to be honest. But I will watch this when it's released, being a big fan of the original. The Phantom Menace was naff in retrospect, The three-way duel was cool, but even that was ruined by inter-cutting it with a crap Anakin sequence. I liked the music track that accompanied the duel also: Duel Of The Fates, By John Williams. But that was about it...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10th October 2010, 02:12 PM
Sarah@Cult Labs's Avatar
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Liverpool
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Not sure if it's still the case but I had heard there was some seriously dodgy ret-conning going on with the plot of this film. That one of the characters was meant to be MacReady's brother? But, of course, you'd think that MacReady would have mentioned his brother was stationed at that facility...

They might have changed this point since but if they go ahead with it then it's just ridiculous!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10th October 2010, 02:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Not sure if it's still the case but I had heard there was some seriously dodgy ret-conning going on with the plot of this film. That one of the characters was meant to be MacReady's brother? But, of course, you'd think that MacReady would have mentioned his brother was stationed at that facility...

They might have changed this point since but if they go ahead with it then it's just ridiculous!
Sounds like some sort of joke. If this is the case, then I won't be bothering to watch this film. Jessica Biel is in this apparently, as the Hero's squeeze. Everytime I read something new on the film, I want to watch it less and less. I'm guessing Keith David's Uncle is staying at the Norway camp too? No wonder they all died, they must of had it coming...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10th October 2010, 04:06 PM
dis dis is offline
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: midlands u.k
Default

it may be a prequel,but how long before a sequel?you know it will happen,most likely in 3d!!!
evil dead in 3d,that would be good!?
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.