Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2010, 05:51 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default The Thing (2011) Prequel

hi all,anybody know about said film?
just saw some shots/info about it on " aint it cool " site,and looks like its happening?
Old 6th October 2010, 06:34 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Filming has already finished. The worst thing about the film is even though it's a prequel, they're calling it The Thing. One of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.
Old 6th October 2010, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I will watch this as a fan, but I'm not expecting much. Is it due out soon?
Old 6th October 2010, 09:17 PM
Cult Rookie

Competition

I'm surprised they are even making the movie. Although the original has become a cult movie, it tanked at the box office. And studio's usually only look at the numbers. Weird.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Just like the Ridley Scott Alien prequels (but on a low budget scale) this has appeal to Carpenter & horror fans. And thank god it's not a remake of the original. I say bring it on!
Old 6th October 2010, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Goods View Post
I'm surprised they are even making the movie. Although the original has become a cult movie, it tanked at the box office. And studio's usually only look at the numbers. Weird.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Just like the Ridley Scott Alien prequels (but on a low budget scale) this has appeal to Carpenter & horror fans. And thank god it's not a remake of the original. I say bring it on!
Yeah, NO REMAKE PLEASE! But I think that a remake has been considered along the way though. Rumours of a sequel too. Organism reaches civilisation sort of scenario. Could happen at some point. Another Apocalypse movie.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm a big fan of JC's movie. I was not impressed when I heard a prequel was being filmed but remain open-minded as normal. They've attempted to film most of the creature effects using physical effects which is good and a minimal use of CGI. That's the good news. The bad news is that however good the feature is, we know the ending. It's like someone filming a series of movies explaining how Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader...MUST NOT MENTION THE PREQUELS.

So the last shot should be of the dog escaping with the helicopter chasing it. It's all a bit "so what". But then many franchises recycle the same old shit over and over again and people flock to those.
Old 8th October 2010, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
I'm a big fan of JC's movie. I was not impressed when I heard a prequel was being filmed but remain open-minded as normal. They've attempted to film most of the creature effects using physical effects which is good and a minimal use of CGI. That's the good news. The bad news is that however good the feature is, we know the ending. It's like someone filming a series of movies explaining how Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader...MUST NOT MENTION THE PREQUELS.

So the last shot should be of the dog escaping with the helicopter chasing it. It's all a bit "so what". But then many franchises recycle the same old shit over and over again and people flock to those.
They have a nasty habit of overusing CGI in films these days don't they? Even for basics, such as blood splatter. CGI blood? I'm glad the majority of the FX in this will be Physical, as you say. But yeah, we all know how it ends for them in this movie, so there is little to be excited about, to be honest. But I will watch this when it's released, being a big fan of the original. The Phantom Menace was naff in retrospect, The three-way duel was cool, but even that was ruined by inter-cutting it with a crap Anakin sequence. I liked the music track that accompanied the duel also: Duel Of The Fates, By John Williams. But that was about it...
Old 10th October 2010, 02:12 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Not sure if it's still the case but I had heard there was some seriously dodgy ret-conning going on with the plot of this film. That one of the characters was meant to be MacReady's brother? But, of course, you'd think that MacReady would have mentioned his brother was stationed at that facility...

They might have changed this point since but if they go ahead with it then it's just ridiculous!
Old 10th October 2010, 02:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Not sure if it's still the case but I had heard there was some seriously dodgy ret-conning going on with the plot of this film. That one of the characters was meant to be MacReady's brother? But, of course, you'd think that MacReady would have mentioned his brother was stationed at that facility...

They might have changed this point since but if they go ahead with it then it's just ridiculous!
Sounds like some sort of joke. If this is the case, then I won't be bothering to watch this film. Jessica Biel is in this apparently, as the Hero's squeeze. Everytime I read something new on the film, I want to watch it less and less. I'm guessing Keith David's Uncle is staying at the Norway camp too? No wonder they all died, they must of had it coming...
Old 10th October 2010, 04:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

it may be a prequel,but how long before a sequel?you know it will happen,most likely in 3d!!!
evil dead in 3d,that would be good!?

Like this? Share it using the links below!