Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd November 2010, 08:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default Monsters (2010)

I was lucky enough to see a preview screening of Monsters last night at the Watershed in Bristol, followed by a Q&A with the director.

Monsters is yet another British micro-budget feature that through a great script and a lot of skill puts many of the bigger budget films out of Hollywood to shame. It did very well at SXSW earlier in the year on the back of which it seems to have gotten very good distribution (out first week of December) which should see it play across most of the UK.

But is it any good?

While comparisons with Cloverfield and District 9 are sensible, they are perhaps a little lazy. The film follows a war photographer as he struggles to return his bosses daughter from South America to the US passing through the "infected zone" a region of Mexico which has been contaminated by creatures from outer space. Shot with just two professional actors (both of whom are excellent) and only 5 crew using found locations and a remarkable non-professional cast this film really shows that a good story well told can more than make up for a lack of budget (a lesson our friends in Hollywood seem to have forgotten).

I really enjoyed this - go see it.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I saw this movie and didn't mind it not to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it but I didn't like the ending. The odd thing thing is how they're promoting this film as a horror film.If you go into this film wanting a horror movie you're going to be very dissappointed
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

totally not a horror film, a little slow for me, but very very well made on it's apparently low budget. Defo worth a look if you like sci-fi
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I enjoyed it.
It was slow in places but it kept me attention and I wasn't bored.
Its not a horror film at all however likes its been said.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 12th November 2010, 07:22 AM
Cultist in Training

i really liked this film saw it at frightfest in august and have to say its more of a melodrama than a horror. Nice road trip movie about 2 characters with a little horror thrown in the mix.
Old 14th November 2010, 02:11 AM
Cult Rookie

Personally and this is just my opinion, I thought it was boring and the ending awful. It is definitely not a horror film like it's now being hyped as. Although, credit where credits due. You wont believe it's been done on a micro budget.

Like this? Share it using the links below!