Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Insidious (2010) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/4190-insidious-2010-a.html)

Sam@Cult Labs 19th August 2011 10:19 AM

A quick look at Lin Shaye and the other psychic investigators in Insidious

CLICK

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...lmdistrict.jpg

Demoncrat 19th August 2011 10:43 AM

liked this, felt the "lair" sequence was a bit overt, but overall my new favourite ghost story....pissed all over PA2 IMO. Scary 1 Spewy 0 etc.

Sam@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 02:13 PM

Check out my latest Insidious blog about why possession films hold a dark appeal...

INSIDIOUS: POSSESSED

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...1FH1qk33xb.gif

Drugs in Tokyo 24th August 2011 06:14 PM

Caught it at the cinema when it was first released. Really wasn't into it. Found it predictable and kinda' dull, unfortunately.

Sam@Cult Labs 26th August 2011 10:52 AM

Check out an interview with the creators of Insidious on the CULT LABS BLOG

Sam@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 11:23 AM

Latest Insidious blogs...

Insidious shares a common theme with THE ENTITY (and an actress...)

and check out the latest reviews HERE

Rassilon 26th September 2011 11:01 PM

Insidious (2010)

I have seen everything from Cannibal Ferox and Zombi 2 to Saw and Hostel. It has been ages since a movie scared me tho. Paranormal Activity did a good job but tonight I watched Insidious and thought it was so scary I had to check on my kids 3 times during the movie. the soundtrack was very jo loduca. acting top notch. Just a very scary and very good film. Highly recommend it.

Paul@TheOverlook 27th September 2011 10:48 AM

I liked it too - a lot better than I thought it would be.

Demoncrat 27th September 2011 11:43 AM

agreed, only slightly flawed, hey nowts perfect..and i always said Tiny Tim was creepy ;);)

Rassilon 27th September 2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 184826)
agreed, only slightly flawed, hey nowts perfect..and i always said Tiny Tim was creepy ;);)

It freaked me out when he was dancing in the shadows as she looked through the window. Also I spotted him standing against the wall when she walks through the house. And I never knew darth maul could be so scary.

antmumford 27th September 2011 05:00 PM

Totally agree mate, one of the very few films that genuinely scared me and made me feel uncomfortable. That creepy song the boy dances too in the house which is then played on the demons record player is just sooooo creepy. :popcorn:

Almar@Cult Labs 28th September 2011 11:40 AM

Yup I really got into the spirit of the film and found it very effective - especially given that haunted houses, weird happenings etc are so ten a penny and to that end that's why I think it's a good horror. I wasn't so sure about some of the sillier elements but I reminded myself to just go with the flow as films like Jeepers Creepers needed and thus I settled back down to the jolts!

What I also found refreshing was that this was a rare new horror not trading on shedloads of gore - just trying to scare you witless and I think that's a harder, classier job to pull off.

Hammer time 28th September 2011 02:54 PM

PG-13 horror is not for me.It stared out ok but then it just got to jump scare after jump scare(how people can be scared of a film is beyond me).The ghosts looked like Marilyn Manson,not scary just stoopid.3 out of 10 from me

Rassilon 28th September 2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer time (Post 185394)
PG-13 horror is not for me.It stared out ok but then it just got to jump scare after jump scare(how people can be scared of a film is beyond me).The ghosts looked like Marilyn Manson,not scary just stoopid.3 out of 10 from me

I don't think it relied on jump scares as such. I thought the ghost was more darth maul, but used very effectively. Films can be very scary if watched under proper conditions i.e. lights out, suspended disbelief etc. Probs the best film I've seen all year. Tip toe through the tulips - song will haunt me for a long time.

antmumford 28th September 2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 185468)
Tip toe through the tulips - song will haunt me for a long time.

Probably the creepiest and most unsettling piece of music I've ever heard. Just listening to it on YouTube again has raised my heart rate and made me feel really uncomfortable.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Paul@TheOverlook 28th September 2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 185508)
Probably the creepiest and most unsettling piece of music I've ever heard. Just listening to it on YouTube again has raised my heart rate and made me feel really uncomfortable.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

I agree and had not heard it before seeing the film. Funny thing is, I watched the Adrien Brody flick WRECKED a couple of days later and it was used in that too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demoncrat 3rd October 2011 12:46 PM

Tiny Tim revival methinks!!

Make Them Die Slowly 3rd October 2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 186831)
Tiny Tim revival methinks!!

Then you should check out "Blood Harvest" the 80s rural slasher with Tiny Tim in a lead role as Marvo the clown.

Demoncrat 4th October 2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 186836)
Then you should check out "Blood Harvest" the 80s rural slasher with Tiny Tim in a lead role as Marvo the clown.

:eek::eek::eek: sold!!

Prince_Vajda 4th October 2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer time (Post 185394)
PG-13 horror is not for me.It stared out ok but then it just got to jump scare after jump scare(how people can be scared of a film is beyond me) .The ghosts looked like Marilyn Manson,not scary just stoopid.3 out of 10 from me

Very many fantastic Horror flicks do not rely on gore and splatter and can still give you the creeps! :peep:

And yes, to nail my colours to the mast - I'm an adult person, and I confess that a really well-made Horror film scares me pretty well! :behindsofa:

Just my two cents.

Greetings!

Gojirosan 4th October 2011 12:19 PM

I have problems understanding how people can be "scared" by a film too. "Disturbed", yes, "chilled", perhaps, but scared? Don't get it. Not since I was about 10 at any rate.

So, I wonder if this is connected to me finding Insidious a hollow and boring bit of fluff?

antmumford 4th October 2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 187131)
I have problems understanding how people can be "scared" by a film too. "Disturbed", yes, "chilled", perhaps, but scared? Don't get it. Not since I was about 10 at any rate.

So, I wonder if this is connected to me finding Insidious a hollow and boring bit of fluff?

If something is scary then regardless of age it should be able to scare you. Unless you have a different meaning to 'scare' than I then I don't understand how you can not be scared by a film but I guess this is where all individuals are different.

I don't normally scare easily but Insidious scared me a few times, along with REC and Paranormal Activity

The ability for a film to make you jump by something appearing or a loud noise when you're feeling unsettled is called a 'scare' in my eyes

Gojirosan 4th October 2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 187135)
If something is scary then regardless of age it should be able to scare you. Unless you have a different meaning to 'scare' than I then I don't understand how you can not be scared by a film but I guess this is where all individuals are different.

I don't normally scare easily but Insidious scared me a few times, along with REC and Paranormal Activity

The ability for a film to make you jump by something appearing or a loud noise when you're feeling unsettled is called a 'scare' in my eyes

Perhaps I do understand another thing but "scare". To me a simple shock jump is just that - a shock. Not being scared. I hardly ever even jump at films going "boo!" either. I might be emotionally dead! :lol:

But that reaction to films like screaming or hiding behind cushions is something I do not understand in adults. The Daleks made me hide behind the sofa as a child, but I have not felt that feeling at TV or cinema since then.

antmumford 4th October 2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 187137)
Perhaps I do understand another thing but "scare". To me a simple shock jump is just that - a shock. Not being scared. I hardly ever even jump at films going "boo!" either. I might be emotionally dead! :lol:

Ah, I see a shock as a scare because it "scared" me but I see the angle you're coming from too.
Although to be honest all three of the previous films I mentioned scared me too in the sense that I felt very uncomfortable, hot and sweaty and felt genuinely scared. :blush:

Rassilon 4th October 2011 06:20 PM

Of course films have the power to scare. And of course there are those that don't have any fear to this sort of cinema, just as some veiwers don't laugh at comedy, regardless of how funny the film is.
As for 'jumps' there weren't many times in insidious where 'jumps' were used, the window scene with the dancing boy, the loft scene, the photgraphs of the lady in black all were scary but none of them were about jumps.
However all horrors try to scare at some level because thats the point, a horror movie that doesn't scare or unseattle is a comedy that doesn't make us laugh. Pointless.
And everything from Halloween to Ratman has jumps in it. It's not a bad thing, but it has been over used in recent films.
Insidious worked personally for me because it stayed with me long after the film was over. I didn't remember jumps. I remember being unseattled by the idea, by the voice on the babymonitor and by window scene.

And lets not forget the scene were the camera slowly moves to the window, and nothing happens.

The directors said they were infulenced by Argento's colour used and by films that didn't relay on jumps. I think they nailed it.

TyneBridges 7th October 2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 187128)
Very many fantastic Horror flicks do not rely on gore and splatter and can still give you the creeps! :peep:

And yes, to nail my colours to the mast - I'm an adult person, and I confess that a really well-made Horror film scares me pretty well! :behindsofa:

Just my two cents.

Greetings!

I agree absolutely! I'm a fan of old-fashioned horror films (haven't liked that much from the last 30 years!) and wish more directors would cotton on to the power of suggestion. I thought Insidious was great and also enjoyed Paranormal Activity (the first one but not the second, which seemed to rely entirely on "jumps"), The Sixth Sense, The Orphanage etc. Scaring an audience does not depend on blood and guts, and graphic horror has too often been used as an easy substitute for imagination.

Mojo 13th October 2011 05:54 PM

Watched this on BD last night and thought it was excellent. I haven't 'jumped' so many times in ages! :eek:

It was very refreshing to see a movie that tried to scare you rather than gross you out. One of my favourite horrors of recent years.

Splatterdragon73 23rd October 2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyneBridges (Post 187948)
Wish more directors would cotton on to the power of suggestion. Scaring an audience does not depend on blood and guts, and graphic horror has too often been used as an easy substitute for imagination.

Point taken but i must confess personally, this whole 'use your imagination' approach in general does little or nothing for me. If there's a sinister presence in evidence i want to see it. I can't stand it in a movie where, say someone is being pursued by some force of evil or another and you can't see it. Take The Mummy chasing Nina Axelrod in Time Walker for instance. We observe the former's POV as it keeps pace not far behind the above female and whenever Axelrod is shot from the front her bandaged pursuer is nowhere to be seen in the background. Sorry, but for the most part yours truly hates that sorta thing. Imagination may have worked in the case of Robert Wise's The Haunting but i believe that's why Dreamworks loaded the loathed remake with PC-provided trickery. Because the studio probably thought that allowing the audience to rely on their own minds would be a turn-off in an age where CGI FX can show you anything. That said, i actually enjoy '57's Night Of The Demon and The Evil Dead and truly do approve of the less-is-more element in these two horror classics. The first half of Jaws works for me, too.

Imo the thing is, these days there's nothing that can't be shown with PC power and savvy cinemagoers know this. Therefore, when a horror film arrives which requires a cerebral approach over a visceral one then some spectators may well complain "Aw, the filmmakers mustn't have had the budget for proper FX." and the end result could potentially be disappointment for the viewer. Whether it's for the best or the worse, in cinemas CGI rules these days and i think it's what many or most audience members expect. Sad but most definitely true and a most bitter pill to swallow. I'm not exactly enamoured with this situation either believe me, but it is a fact.

However, admittedly i do intend to give Insidious a chance to send the shivers up my spine sooner or later once the price comes down.:)

TyneBridges 23rd October 2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 192251)
That said, i actually enjoy '57's Night Of The Demon and The Evil Dead and truly do approve of the less-is-more element in these two horror classics.

I find that part of your message a bit baffling. As someone who dislikes graphic gore, I wouldn't describe The Evil Dead as "less is more" - I hated it because it seemed to be nothing but excessive gore and violence. Admittedly there was a "comic book" quality to it because of the tiny budget, but that didn't make it any more watchable for me. To enjoy a horror/ghost film I need to empathise with the characters a little bit, and there was no character development there.

Graphic violence can certainly get an audience reaction and will engage some people, but I'm disappointed that lots of directors seem to think they're scaring someone when they're just staging violence. As an old example, I thought the original Nightmare on Elm Street was nowhere near as scary as it could have been because it showed too much, and the violence in some cases (e.g. Johnny Depp's demise) destroyed any atmosphere of dread.

Splatterdragon73 24th October 2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyneBridges (Post 192252)
I find that part of your message a bit baffling. As someone who dislikes graphic gore, I wouldn't describe The Evil Dead as "less is more".

Your confusion is understandable and perhaps i should've clarified my previous opinion more clearly.

The less-is-more element in TED refers to the film's 'Forest (wood, tree take your pick!) Demon'. We have plentiful POV shots of the relevant evildoer but we never actually catch sight of the creature during the movie's duration. The audience relys on Sam Raimi's legendary 'Shakey-Cam' footage and those unnerving demonic sound FX. Imo this approach appears to work in TED's favour. We see less of the forest's floating entity and i think such elusiveness makes the movie more suspenseful and heightens the horror. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Jaws plays the same game as we don't get a good look at the marauding seabound predator during the film's first half. Once again, the viewer's imagination takes over and seems to fill the 'Shark isn't working' gaps quite nicely.:)

sjconstable 24th October 2011 01:50 PM

6/10, it was worth a watch at the cinema, but it just got silly. The actual scary films are by Hideo Nakata and Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Insidious is nothing compared to them. Oh and David Lynch.

Rassilon 24th October 2011 02:31 PM

I've said it before and will say it again. I watched it in the dark. And was scared by insidious. I think its one of the best horror movies of the last 5 years and that I an opinion. I've seen everything from TED and Fulci films to films that go for scares from all those japanese efforts and classic american haunted house movies. I was never scared by ring or dark water. Im not saying Insidious is the exorcist but it does what it says on the tin.

Splatterdragon73 25th October 2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 192516)
I was never scared by Ring or Dark Water.

The above efforts were about as scary as an episode of Rentaghost imo and the same goes for the likes of A Tale Of Two Sisters, The Grudge, R-Point and Phone. Don't get me wrong, these Asian frightfests are as professionally put together and well made as any Hollywood horror but they simply don't shiver my spine. The only title that came close was the original Thai version of The Eye and the Calligraphy class moment was brilliantly done. Remember, don't sit in her chair!

I suspect Insidious may possibly be a suitable improvement over many a J 'n' K horror outing when it comes to scares and i look forward to giving the film a try in due course.:)

nekromantik 25th October 2011 05:37 PM

Insidious is amazing!
one of the best horrors of the year :)

Demoncrat 26th October 2011 10:07 AM

wow. its marmite time i see. as with most modern horror films, a cine literate viewer has to have the ability to suspend disbelief. as i have two friends who say quite baldly that "horror doesnt scare me, as i know its not real" well DUH.
this is redundant as an arguement.
i personally loved Dark Water, the US remake however is an exercise in monotony which i only watched as ive always fancied Jennifer Connelly...

never again.

people who loved Insidious will love it regardless, people who think its toss will say so.

wayfarer 26th October 2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 192977)
wow. its marmite time i see. as with most modern horror films, a cine literate viewer has to have the ability to suspend disbelief. as i have two friends who say quite baldly that "horror doesnt scare me, as i know its not real" well DUH.
this is redundant as an arguement.
i personally loved Dark Water, the US remake however is an exercise in monotony which i only watched as ive always fancied Jennifer Connelly...

never again.

people who loved Insidious will love it regardless, people who think its toss will say so.

I get that attitude quite a bit at work, from people who's primary interest is football. I have a casual interest in the sport but I can't get excited about it as much as I do a genre picture. They often can't understand how I can be passionate about something that's "just a film" and not part of the "real world". I repress a lot of what I think about movies.;)

As for scary movies in general; I'd like to be scared more watching horrors but it's not to do with a lack of suspension of disbelief. Insidious was fun, but I did find the demon looked like something out of Kabuki theatre. It took me out of the picture. The lead up was pretty good and I enjoyed the movie.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th October 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

the US remake however is an exercise in monotony which i only watched as ive always fancied Jennifer Connelly...

Exactly the same reason why I watched it. :D

nekromantik 26th October 2011 12:57 PM

To be honest I dont go into a horror expecting to be scared.
I love horror as its suspenseful and I have a keen interest in the supernatual.
No movie apart from Exorcist has scared me.

If I went in expecting to be scared I would not like 99% of movies I see.

wayfarer 26th October 2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 193006)
To be honest I dont go into a horror expecting to be scared.
I love horror as its suspenseful and I have a keen interest in the supernatual.
No movie apart from Exorcist has scared me.

If I went in expecting to be scared I would not like 99% of movies I see.

Same here. i wouldn't be on this forum, because nothing would interest me. Back in the day (1982) The Exorcist scared me silly. Nothing else has quite captured that fear again. But, it doesn't mean to say that i can't enjoy a horror movie. There's plenty of other things to interest me in the genre. I can confess to, very occasionally, being caught out on a cheap jump scare;)

Splatterdragon73 26th October 2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

I personally loved Dark Water, the US remake however is an exercise in monotony which i only watched as ive always fancied Jennifer Connelly.

I've never bothered catching the above offering but if i did it'd also only be for the delectable beauty in question.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 193006)
To be honest I dont go into a horror expecting to be scared. I love horror as its suspenseful and I have a keen interest in the supernatural. If I went in expecting to be scared I would not like 99% of movies I see.

A man more or less after my own heart. Few horror films have disturbed or unsettled me and yours truly would say only The Evil Dead really scared me the first time around when i was roughly 10 or 11 years old.:fear: