Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th September 2011, 05:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Totally agree mate, one of the very few films that genuinely scared me and made me feel uncomfortable. That creepy song the boy dances too in the house which is then played on the demons record player is just sooooo creepy.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 28th September 2011, 11:40 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Yup I really got into the spirit of the film and found it very effective - especially given that haunted houses, weird happenings etc are so ten a penny and to that end that's why I think it's a good horror. I wasn't so sure about some of the sillier elements but I reminded myself to just go with the flow as films like Jeepers Creepers needed and thus I settled back down to the jolts!

What I also found refreshing was that this was a rare new horror not trading on shedloads of gore - just trying to scare you witless and I think that's a harder, classier job to pull off.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 28th September 2011, 02:54 PM
Active Cultist

PG-13 horror is not for me.It stared out ok but then it just got to jump scare after jump scare(how people can be scared of a film is beyond me).The ghosts looked like Marilyn Manson,not scary just stoopid.3 out of 10 from me
Old 28th September 2011, 05:47 PM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer time View Post
PG-13 horror is not for me.It stared out ok but then it just got to jump scare after jump scare(how people can be scared of a film is beyond me).The ghosts looked like Marilyn Manson,not scary just stoopid.3 out of 10 from me
I don't think it relied on jump scares as such. I thought the ghost was more darth maul, but used very effectively. Films can be very scary if watched under proper conditions i.e. lights out, suspended disbelief etc. Probs the best film I've seen all year. Tip toe through the tulips - song will haunt me for a long time.
Old 28th September 2011, 07:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
Tip toe through the tulips - song will haunt me for a long time.
Probably the creepiest and most unsettling piece of music I've ever heard. Just listening to it on YouTube again has raised my heart rate and made me feel really uncomfortable.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 28th September 2011, 07:50 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Probably the creepiest and most unsettling piece of music I've ever heard. Just listening to it on YouTube again has raised my heart rate and made me feel really uncomfortable.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
I agree and had not heard it before seeing the film. Funny thing is, I watched the Adrien Brody flick WRECKED a couple of days later and it was used in that too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tiny Tim revival methinks!!
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:52 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
Tiny Tim revival methinks!!
Then you should check out "Blood Harvest" the 80s rural slasher with Tiny Tim in a lead role as Marvo the clown.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Then you should check out "Blood Harvest" the 80s rural slasher with Tiny Tim in a lead role as Marvo the clown.
sold!!
Old 4th October 2011, 12:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer time View Post
PG-13 horror is not for me.It stared out ok but then it just got to jump scare after jump scare(how people can be scared of a film is beyond me) .The ghosts looked like Marilyn Manson,not scary just stoopid.3 out of 10 from me
Very many fantastic Horror flicks do not rely on gore and splatter and can still give you the creeps!

And yes, to nail my colours to the mast - I'm an adult person, and I confess that a really well-made Horror film scares me pretty well!

Just my two cents.

Greetings!
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!