Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2011, 01:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

6/10, it was worth a watch at the cinema, but it just got silly. The actual scary films are by Hideo Nakata and Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Insidious is nothing compared to them. Oh and David Lynch.
Old 24th October 2011, 02:31 PM
Ex-Member

I've said it before and will say it again. I watched it in the dark. And was scared by insidious. I think its one of the best horror movies of the last 5 years and that I an opinion. I've seen everything from TED and Fulci films to films that go for scares from all those japanese efforts and classic american haunted house movies. I was never scared by ring or dark water. Im not saying Insidious is the exorcist but it does what it says on the tin.
Old 25th October 2011, 01:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
I was never scared by Ring or Dark Water.
The above efforts were about as scary as an episode of Rentaghost imo and the same goes for the likes of A Tale Of Two Sisters, The Grudge, R-Point and Phone. Don't get me wrong, these Asian frightfests are as professionally put together and well made as any Hollywood horror but they simply don't shiver my spine. The only title that came close was the original Thai version of The Eye and the Calligraphy class moment was brilliantly done. Remember, don't sit in her chair!

I suspect Insidious may possibly be a suitable improvement over many a J 'n' K horror outing when it comes to scares and i look forward to giving the film a try in due course.

Last edited by Splatterdragon73; 26th October 2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old 25th October 2011, 05:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Insidious is amazing!
one of the best horrors of the year

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 26th October 2011, 10:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

wow. its marmite time i see. as with most modern horror films, a cine literate viewer has to have the ability to suspend disbelief. as i have two friends who say quite baldly that "horror doesnt scare me, as i know its not real" well DUH.
this is redundant as an arguement.
i personally loved Dark Water, the US remake however is an exercise in monotony which i only watched as ive always fancied Jennifer Connelly...

never again.

people who loved Insidious will love it regardless, people who think its toss will say so.
Old 26th October 2011, 11:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
wow. its marmite time i see. as with most modern horror films, a cine literate viewer has to have the ability to suspend disbelief. as i have two friends who say quite baldly that "horror doesnt scare me, as i know its not real" well DUH.
this is redundant as an arguement.
i personally loved Dark Water, the US remake however is an exercise in monotony which i only watched as ive always fancied Jennifer Connelly...

never again.

people who loved Insidious will love it regardless, people who think its toss will say so.
I get that attitude quite a bit at work, from people who's primary interest is football. I have a casual interest in the sport but I can't get excited about it as much as I do a genre picture. They often can't understand how I can be passionate about something that's "just a film" and not part of the "real world". I repress a lot of what I think about movies.

As for scary movies in general; I'd like to be scared more watching horrors but it's not to do with a lack of suspension of disbelief. Insidious was fun, but I did find the demon looked like something out of Kabuki theatre. It took me out of the picture. The lead up was pretty good and I enjoyed the movie.
Old 26th October 2011, 11:44 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
the US remake however is an exercise in monotony which i only watched as ive always fancied Jennifer Connelly...
Exactly the same reason why I watched it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 26th October 2011, 12:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

To be honest I dont go into a horror expecting to be scared.
I love horror as its suspenseful and I have a keen interest in the supernatual.
No movie apart from Exorcist has scared me.

If I went in expecting to be scared I would not like 99% of movies I see.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 26th October 2011, 01:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
To be honest I dont go into a horror expecting to be scared.
I love horror as its suspenseful and I have a keen interest in the supernatual.
No movie apart from Exorcist has scared me.

If I went in expecting to be scared I would not like 99% of movies I see.

Same here. i wouldn't be on this forum, because nothing would interest me. Back in the day (1982) The Exorcist scared me silly. Nothing else has quite captured that fear again. But, it doesn't mean to say that i can't enjoy a horror movie. There's plenty of other things to interest me in the genre. I can confess to, very occasionally, being caught out on a cheap jump scare
Old 26th October 2011, 01:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
I personally loved Dark Water, the US remake however is an exercise in monotony which i only watched as ive always fancied Jennifer Connelly.
I've never bothered catching the above offering but if i did it'd also only be for the delectable beauty in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
To be honest I dont go into a horror expecting to be scared. I love horror as its suspenseful and I have a keen interest in the supernatural. If I went in expecting to be scared I would not like 99% of movies I see.
A man more or less after my own heart. Few horror films have disturbed or unsettled me and yours truly would say only The Evil Dead really scared me the first time around when i was roughly 10 or 11 years old.

Like this? Share it using the links below!