Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2011, 03:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

tbh I liked the remake but the niether the original or remake stayed with me after I watched it.
so that was no factor for me.
the original was not the best of the nasties for sure, hell I even preferd last house original over I spit.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 19th February 2011, 04:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have a lot of time for both the original I Spit on Your Grave and Last House on the Left, preferring those to the remakes. In terms of the modern remake/reimagining/reinterpretation of stories, I much preferred I Spit on Your Grave to any of the other recent remakes.
Old 19th February 2011, 06:54 PM
Cultist

I thought both remakes of Last House on the Left, and I Spit on your Grave were decent and actually stood on their own.

Although the original I Spit on Your Grave is more blood curdling during the rape scenes, the remake is pretty brutal all around, but maybe not just as brutal during the rape sequences. Definitely more so in revenge. The remake also IMO, had a better sense of threat at the beginning & throughout, like you could almost feel the presence of trouble coming her way.
Old 19th February 2011, 07:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

My only let down of the remake was that they did not show any of the after math of the rape and what it did to her, they jumped straight to the revenge. I not seen original in ages so not sure how much they showed of the aftermath in that.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 19th February 2011, 07:11 PM
Cultist

The original definitely puts more emphasis on the aftermath.

The remake as you said, just kinda' jumps straight into revenge mode.
Old 19th February 2011, 07:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

If I remember correctly, it shows Jennifer nursing her wounds and piecing together the pages of the novel that were ripped up. The next thing that happens is when she orders some groceries to be delivered and lures Matthew out to meet his fate.
Old 19th February 2011, 07:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

may need to rewatch the original to do a fresh comparison

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 24th February 2011, 07:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

small update here

I Spit on Your Grave [2010] (Comparison: BBFC-18 - Unrated Version) - Movie-Censorship.com

that compares the UK cut version to the unrated US version, on top of the cuts there have been several scenes zoomed which just imo looks shoddy. As you cut out the bottom bar and the image just dont look right. I would rather just have those scenes cut instead of zoomed like that.

Glad I got my US copy

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 24th February 2011, 01:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by david951 View Post
I agree with you 100%. While the original is what some term "sexploitation" it was bad, bad, bad. Let's face it, it was first ran at the drive-in on a triple feature! We were laughing our butts off at it.
I couldn't disagree more. The original is a harrowing look at rape and its resultant consequences. There's a turning point after the rape, where Jennifer has a choice - she can become utterly defeated or become stronger. It's a strange point in the film, because she goes from being victim to becoming the aggressor. It's powerful stuff. I haven't seen the remake, although I have got the unrated R1 DVD here to catch up with over the weekend (the Blu-ray was coded Region A so I had to pass on that - bah!), so I'll return to this thread once I've watched it.

And, I'm curious, what was it about the original that you found funny?
Old 24th February 2011, 11:03 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
small update here

I Spit on Your Grave [2010] (Comparison: BBFC-18 - Unrated Version) - Movie-Censorship.com

that compares the UK cut version to the unrated US version, on top of the cuts there have been several scenes zoomed which just imo looks shoddy. As you cut out the bottom bar and the image just dont look right. I would rather just have those scenes cut instead of zoomed like that.

Glad I got my US copy
Yeah I seen that. I thought the cuts were... pointless. It's like they cut it for the sake of cutting it. Like, "HEYYY! we can't let this go fully through, let's take a few frames from here and there!"

Like this? Share it using the links below!