Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Wake Wood and the Return of Hammer. (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/4888-wake-wood-return-hammer.html)

Gojirosan 12th June 2011 02:30 PM

I liked Wake Wood but thought it was riddled with niggling flaws (much of the acting, clumsy photography on occasion) that, ultimately, under-mined it. However, it was a game effort and I liked the three lead performances a lot.

I could see me watching it again.

Bringer Of Funerals 12th June 2011 06:45 PM

The cover to this torments me to buy it, i will next time i see it in HMV

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th June 2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 157553)
I liked Wake Wood but thought it was riddled with niggling flaws (much of the acting, clumsy photography on occasion) that, ultimately, under-mined it. However, it was a game effort and I liked the three lead performances a lot.

I could see me watching it again.

That's why it felt much more like a Hammer film than Let Me In as, like many of the Hammer Horrors -- they didn't have huge production values but they always had an innate charm which is the same with Wake:doh: Wood.

ecc 17th June 2011 09:24 AM

WAKE WOOD Dark Sky Blu-Ray/Momentum PAL DVD comparison

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th June 2011 09:40 AM

Interesting stuff -- I think I'll buy the BD for the correct aspect ratio and the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track.

BAH-Marc 17th June 2011 01:54 PM

I just watched this last night. The US release hits shelves on July 15th. I loved the story and some of the set pieces were fantastically gory. I thought that acting was off in some places, but overall completely passable. There were a few clues in the beginning that kind of set up the end. To the last 1 minute (which I will not spoil) - I was disappointed in the choice made. I thought it was a poor way to close out the film, but overall - this is Hammer's strongest film since their return.

Jean Renault 23rd August 2011 02:38 PM

Was really impressed by Wake Wood. Very grim and Aiden Gillen, Eva Birthistle, and Timothy Spall were fantastic. Definitely my favourite of the new Hammer releases.

Slippery Jack 23rd August 2011 03:56 PM

I had high hopes for this, seemingly in the tradition of British ‘folk horror’ and coming from the resurrected Hammer. I found it disappointing on almost every level. As a portrait of parental grief it felt extremely shallow. Though the leads weren’t too bad, their relationship was far too rushed (as was the whole film), their actions and motivations contrived and unconvincing at every turn. Sloppily written and directed, with a severe lack of tension or intrigue – the old cliché of the car breaking down in the in the middle of the woods happens not once, but twice (to the same car!). By the time the film had settled into bog standard evil kid territory, plodding to a well telegraphed climax, I’d given up on it completely . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 04:38 PM

I thought it was very well directed, written and acted, though not perfect, so was more like the original Hammer films which could be creaky and a little wooden.. When I found out the British DVD had the picture in the wrong aspect ratio, I put the US Blu-ray in my wish list and have now bought a copy. Unfortunately, I won't have it until next month, but there are plenty of films to keep me occupied until then!

Slippery Jack 23rd August 2011 04:57 PM

Yeah I think it was mainly a case of my expectations being too high - hoping for a mix of two of my all time faves, Don't Look Now and The Wicker Man, which of course it falls waaaaay below . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 176192)
Yeah I think it was mainly a case of my expectations being too high - hoping for a mix of two of my all time faves, Don't Look Now and The Wicker Man, which of course it falls waaaaay below . . .

So are 95% of horror films!

Slippery Jack 23rd August 2011 06:58 PM

True, but not many films appear to be marketed as a hybrid of the two . . .

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 07:35 PM

I enjoyed it.
Not in the league of those legends mentioned above,but a commendable effort nonetheless.

Wonder when it'll hit UK BD?
Strange how it's been released in the States on BD!:confused:

nekromantik 23rd August 2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 176271)
I enjoyed it.
Not in the league of those legends mentioned above,but a commendable effort nonetheless.

Wonder when it'll hit UK BD?
Strange how it's been released in the States on BD!:confused:

doubt we will get it on blu.
i was annoyed it was not released on blu so did not buy the DVD.
will wait for the US one to drop in price.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 176254)
True, but not many films appear to be marketed as a hybrid of the two . . .

I thought it was a homage to Pet Semetary and The Wicker Man. Don't Look Now never entered my head.

wayfarer 24th August 2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 176316)
doubt we will get it on blu.
i was annoyed it was not released on blu so did not buy the DVD.
will wait for the US one to drop in price.

There are a number of genre titles being released on DVD only, in the UK, while our US cousins get the Blu . It's frustrating, especially when some of these are supposedly "British" movies.:mmph:

pestis 28th January 2012 12:37 PM

I really enjoyed it. I've been longing for that classic Hammer vibe and as other have said, this has a touch of it. Not perfect but give me Wake Wood over 99% of homognized Hollywood drivel any day.

Crimson Blade 28th January 2012 02:29 PM

Is the US Blu region locked?
I'm pretty sure it is. :(

Paul@TheOverlook 28th January 2012 02:53 PM

I'm almost certain it was released by Image Entertainment, a company that region locks everything.

I thought Wakewood was good but incredibly derivative of other, better films. It's always hard to enjoy something that constantly evokes memories of classic films because they almost always fail to deliver. It's by no means a bad film, far from it, but there's more than passing similarities to Don't Look Now, Wicker Man and even Pet Sematry (a film I really like). I'd give it a solid three (out of five) and would probably watch it again.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 212522)
Is the US Blu region locked?
I'm pretty sure it is. :(

I own it and, yes, it is Region A.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th January 2012 04:30 PM

About time it was released here on BD,especially when the inferior The Resident is available.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th February 2012 08:33 PM

No sign of a BD release yet?

It's available in the states.:crazy:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th June 2012 09:02 PM

Frustrating this,still no sign of a BD release.
It's now the only modern Hammer film without an HD release.:rolleyes:

Pity,as it only comes second to The Woman In Black.

Paul@TheOverlook 27th June 2012 09:06 PM

Was there not a US Blu-ray, Reaps? Pretty sure Image released a Region-locked disc last year.

I have the UK DVD which is fine - I liked the film but wasn't in love with it. It's definitely the second best of the resurgent Hammer's films after THE WOMAN IN BLACK. I know it's cussed but I actually liked THE RESIDENT and wasn't over keen on LET ME IN, a film that I thought redundant in the wake of the superior Swedish version.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th June 2012 09:22 PM

Yeah there is a US BD Paul.

The Resident IMO is the weakest of Hammer's modern output.
But then again,I prefer Fincher's Girl With The Dragon Tatoo over the Swedish original! :behindsofa:

Paul@TheOverlook 27th June 2012 09:30 PM

I prefer the Fincher GIRL too, it improved on the Swedish film greatly. I didn't think LET ME IN brought anything new to the table at all, sadly.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th June 2012 09:36 PM

STILL not watched the original!:lol:

Wake Wood,I though was an enjoyable melange of numerous Brit horrors gone by.

Paul@TheOverlook 27th June 2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 253671)
STILL not watched the original!:lol:

Wake Wood,I though was an enjoyable melange of numerous Brit horrors gone by.

Original is great!

That was one of the things that I struggled to overcome in WAKEWOOD there was too much going on that reminded me of other, better films.

Slippery Jack 27th June 2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 253673)
That was one of the things that I struggled to overcome in WAKEWOOD there was too much going on that reminded me of other, better films.

Agreed. I wasn't keen on it at all. I found the relationship bewteen the central couple very unconvincing. Seem to recall some clunking great plot contrivances too. The 'birth' scene was pretty cool though . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th June 2012 10:27 AM

I bought the US Image Entertainment BD ages ago and only got round to watching it last week. It looks great in HD and in the correct (2.35:1) aspect ratio – despite its flaws (or maybe because of them) it seemed better on second viewing and it's probably a film I'll watch every now and again.

Susan Foreman 1st February 2019 04:52 AM

It looks like Hammer are planning on bringing Professor Quatermass back to the cinema

Legendary and Hammer Bringing Classic British Sci-Fi Hero QUATERMASS to the Big Screen (Exclusive) | Nerdist

Susan Foreman 8th March 2022 09:08 PM

Eddie Izzard - Starring ‘Doctor Jekyll’ Boarded by Hammer Studios / Variety

"The newly reestablished Hammer Studios has acquired U.K. rights for B Good Picture Company’s “Doctor Jekyll.”

In Nov. 2021, the U.K.’s Network Distributing sealed a deal with iconic British horror label Hammer Films to form Hammer Studios Ltd. “Doctor Jekyll,” directed by Joe Stephenson and currently shooting in the U.K., will be the first film to be released by the newly formed studio.

In the film, a modern interpretation of Robert Louis Stevenson’s iconic 1886 novella “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde,” Eddie Izzard plays Dr. Nina Jekyll, a recluse who finds friendship with her newly hired help, Rob, played by emerging actor Scott Chambers (“Chicken”) and they must work together to prevent Hyde from destroying her life. The screenplay is by first time writer Dan Kelly-Mulhern.,,"

Susan Foreman 18th May 2022 08:14 PM

The first look (i.e the poster) for Eddie Izzard as 'Dr. Jekyll'

There is no word about when the film will be released to cinemas, but Metro International Entertainment is currently screening it at the Cannes Film Festival which opened on May 17th and closes on May 28th

trebor8273 18th May 2022 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 670721)
The first look (i.e the poster) for Eddie Izzard as 'Dr. Jekyll'

There is no word about when the film will be released to cinemas, but Metro International Entertainment is currently screening it at the Cannes Film Festival which opened on May 17th and closes on May 28th

This good be good he was in Hannibal and was good in that as well as a few others , will keep a eye on it.

MrBarlow 18th May 2022 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 670722)
This good be good he was in Hannibal and was good in that as well as a few others , will keep a eye on it.

He was good in Day Of The Triffids 2009 if you come across that, worth a watch

Susan Foreman 31st August 2023 03:23 PM

Stop me if you've heard *this* one before...

Hammer Horror Returning to Life With New Owner and New Slate of Movies / Bloody Disgusting

"You can’t talk about the history of horror without talking about Hammer Horror, with Hammer Film Productions over the years releasing countless classics including their own takes on iconic monsters such as Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy, and their movies solidifying the likes of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing as true icons in the horror genre.

Variety reports this morning that British theater producer John Gore has acquired Hammer Films and Studios, and he’ll lead a new team aiming to revitalize the legendary brand.

“Under Gore’s management, the plan is to invest significantly in Hammer Films to breathe new life into the studio, blending the nostalgic charm of Hammer with modern cinematic style and innovation, while preserving its heritage and library,” Variety’s exclusive report details. “A new slate of films and projects will be unveiled imminently.”

First up is the Eddie Izzard-starring Doctor Jekyll, set for release later this year.

New owner John Gore said in a statement:
“Ever since I was a young boy, I’ve been enchanted by the magic of Hammer Films. Its stories, its characters and its unique place in British heritage and cinema have been a source of inspiration and wonder. Today, as I stand at the helm of this iconic studio, my commitment is twofold: to celebrate and preserve the unmatched legacy of Hammer and to usher in a new era of storytelling that captivates audiences worldwide. With significant investment and a fresh creative vision, we will ensure that the spirit of Hammer not only endures but thrives in the modern age.”"

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st August 2023 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 690073)

Why the sarcastic opening line, Susan?

Simon Oakes and the last owners of Hammer films got themselves a box office number one in The Woman In Black as well as produced numerous other worldwide cinema releases such as Let Me In, The Resident, The Quiet Ones and The Lodge.

The new owners already have a release coming to cinemas in Dr. Jekyll.

Susan Foreman 1st September 2023 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 690077)
Why the sarcastic opening line, Susan?[/B]

Because we regularly hear reports of companies being resurrected and films being released that (more often than not) come to nowt

We have known about the new 'Dr. Jekyll' release for some time

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st September 2023 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 690086)
Because we regularly hear reports of companies being resurrected and films being released that (more often than not) come to nowt

We have known about the new 'Dr. Jekyll' release for some time

But not with Hammer. :cool:

We first had news of Dr. Jekyll in March this year with the first images in May. If that is 'some time' then you clearly have no idea about how long it takes to make a film.

Susan Foreman 1st September 2023 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 690092)
But not with Hammer. :cool:

We first had news of Dr. Jekyll in March this year with the first images in May. If that is 'some time' then you clearly have no idea about how long it takes to make a film.

With all due respect, I used to work in the film business

Admittedly, the kind of films I was involved with were not big titles that would happily sit next to family blockbusters at yer local ABC!!!