Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Wake Wood and the Return of Hammer. (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/4888-wake-wood-return-hammer.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th January 2012 04:30 PM

About time it was released here on BD,especially when the inferior The Resident is available.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th February 2012 08:33 PM

No sign of a BD release yet?

It's available in the states.:crazy:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th June 2012 09:02 PM

Frustrating this,still no sign of a BD release.
It's now the only modern Hammer film without an HD release.:rolleyes:

Pity,as it only comes second to The Woman In Black.

Paul@TheOverlook 27th June 2012 09:06 PM

Was there not a US Blu-ray, Reaps? Pretty sure Image released a Region-locked disc last year.

I have the UK DVD which is fine - I liked the film but wasn't in love with it. It's definitely the second best of the resurgent Hammer's films after THE WOMAN IN BLACK. I know it's cussed but I actually liked THE RESIDENT and wasn't over keen on LET ME IN, a film that I thought redundant in the wake of the superior Swedish version.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th June 2012 09:22 PM

Yeah there is a US BD Paul.

The Resident IMO is the weakest of Hammer's modern output.
But then again,I prefer Fincher's Girl With The Dragon Tatoo over the Swedish original! :behindsofa:

Paul@TheOverlook 27th June 2012 09:30 PM

I prefer the Fincher GIRL too, it improved on the Swedish film greatly. I didn't think LET ME IN brought anything new to the table at all, sadly.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th June 2012 09:36 PM

STILL not watched the original!:lol:

Wake Wood,I though was an enjoyable melange of numerous Brit horrors gone by.

Paul@TheOverlook 27th June 2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 253671)
STILL not watched the original!:lol:

Wake Wood,I though was an enjoyable melange of numerous Brit horrors gone by.

Original is great!

That was one of the things that I struggled to overcome in WAKEWOOD there was too much going on that reminded me of other, better films.

Slippery Jack 27th June 2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 253673)
That was one of the things that I struggled to overcome in WAKEWOOD there was too much going on that reminded me of other, better films.

Agreed. I wasn't keen on it at all. I found the relationship bewteen the central couple very unconvincing. Seem to recall some clunking great plot contrivances too. The 'birth' scene was pretty cool though . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th June 2012 10:27 AM

I bought the US Image Entertainment BD ages ago and only got round to watching it last week. It looks great in HD and in the correct (2.35:1) aspect ratio – despite its flaws (or maybe because of them) it seemed better on second viewing and it's probably a film I'll watch every now and again.