Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2011, 02:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I liked Wake Wood but thought it was riddled with niggling flaws (much of the acting, clumsy photography on occasion) that, ultimately, under-mined it. However, it was a game effort and I liked the three lead performances a lot.

I could see me watching it again.
Old 12th June 2011, 06:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

The cover to this torments me to buy it, i will next time i see it in HMV
Old 12th June 2011, 09:39 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I liked Wake Wood but thought it was riddled with niggling flaws (much of the acting, clumsy photography on occasion) that, ultimately, under-mined it. However, it was a game effort and I liked the three lead performances a lot.

I could see me watching it again.
That's why it felt much more like a Hammer film than Let Me In as, like many of the Hammer Horrors -- they didn't have huge production values but they always had an innate charm which is the same with Wake Wood.
Old 17th June 2011, 09:24 AM
Active Cultist

WAKE WOOD Dark Sky Blu-Ray/Momentum PAL DVD comparison
Old 17th June 2011, 09:40 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Interesting stuff -- I think I'll buy the BD for the correct aspect ratio and the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track.
Old 17th June 2011, 01:54 PM
Cult Rookie

I just watched this last night. The US release hits shelves on July 15th. I loved the story and some of the set pieces were fantastically gory. I thought that acting was off in some places, but overall completely passable. There were a few clues in the beginning that kind of set up the end. To the last 1 minute (which I will not spoil) - I was disappointed in the choice made. I thought it was a poor way to close out the film, but overall - this is Hammer's strongest film since their return.
Old 23rd August 2011, 02:38 PM
Cult Rookie

Was really impressed by Wake Wood. Very grim and Aiden Gillen, Eva Birthistle, and Timothy Spall were fantastic. Definitely my favourite of the new Hammer releases.
Old 23rd August 2011, 03:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

I had high hopes for this, seemingly in the tradition of British ‘folk horror’ and coming from the resurrected Hammer. I found it disappointing on almost every level. As a portrait of parental grief it felt extremely shallow. Though the leads weren’t too bad, their relationship was far too rushed (as was the whole film), their actions and motivations contrived and unconvincing at every turn. Sloppily written and directed, with a severe lack of tension or intrigue – the old cliché of the car breaking down in the in the middle of the woods happens not once, but twice (to the same car!). By the time the film had settled into bog standard evil kid territory, plodding to a well telegraphed climax, I’d given up on it completely . . .
Old 23rd August 2011, 04:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I thought it was very well directed, written and acted, though not perfect, so was more like the original Hammer films which could be creaky and a little wooden.. When I found out the British DVD had the picture in the wrong aspect ratio, I put the US Blu-ray in my wish list and have now bought a copy. Unfortunately, I won't have it until next month, but there are plenty of films to keep me occupied until then!
Old 23rd August 2011, 04:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah I think it was mainly a case of my expectations being too high - hoping for a mix of two of my all time faves, Don't Look Now and The Wicker Man, which of course it falls waaaaay below . . .

Like this? Share it using the links below!