Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Dario Argento's Dracula Anticipation Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/5548-dario-argentos-dracula-anticipation-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th January 2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 210312)
Does anyone know if the film was shot in native 3D or converted in post production? I am guessing the latter to keep production costs down. If it is the latter, the 3D will not be good at all. :(

It was shot using the latest up to date 3d cameras. The last Dark Side mag explained about it in great detail.

Prince_Vajda 18th January 2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 210337)
It was shot using the latest up to date 3d cameras. The last Dark Side mag explained about it in great detail.

I really don't want to know how much of the film's budget went into this stupid 3D... :doh: :tsk:

Greetings!

platostotal 18th January 2012 11:09 PM

To guess at the mantis thing, if I remember, one of Drac's powers is to control the actions of lesser beings, but as to it's size...:doh: or perhaps it's a very badly done bat:lol::lol:. It would be great if Dario pulls it out of the bag and gives us a classic telling of the tale, we can but hope.

doolahrock 18th January 2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 210337)

Yeah, it's been shot in 3D since the beginning. The first production stills I saw they were using RED cameras but it was decided they weren't quite up to the job although the new Hobbit film is using RED Epic. Thing is, 'full size' 3D cams are huuuuge so I'm not expecting many camera flourishes, not that his work as been crammed with them in recent times anyway.

doolahrock 18th January 2012 11:52 PM

A few interesting (or not so) videos -

Dario talking about the film

DRACULA 3D (2011) Trailer Dario Argento - YouTube

And a couple of FX vids.....more leakage?

Controfigura digitale di Dracula - YouTube

Ricostruzione treno - YouTube

doolahrock 18th January 2012 11:56 PM

A couple of worrying comments from someone who was at the US teaser preview -

Based on the preview footage at the AFM in November, I don't expect the actual trailer to be much better. I was really shocked at how poor a lot of the scenes were. And the "acting" you just have to see it to believe it!!

and

The costumes were no more impressive than any other decently made period piece. And the sets looked OK. The whole thing lacks atmosphere. It's overly bright and flat looking, due to the demands of shooting 3D. I swear there are a few scenes that are lit like a Mexican soap opera. I can't really judge entirely though since it was just random scenes, the FX weren't done, and I'm assuming it wasn't color timed etc...
However, I will reiterate, the acting was across the board terrible. Rutger Hauer was half asleep in all his scenes, and Asia seems like she wants to be anywhere but on that set. All of this makes me sad to say, as I think Asia is a very capable actress, and well, everyone knows Hauer used to be able to do respectable work. As for Dracula himself, I don't know...

Gojirosan 18th January 2012 11:57 PM

I don't get the problem with the mantis, at all!

A giant mantis would have improved every recent version of Dracula of which I can think! And plenty of non-Dracula flicks too!

God forbid Argento has fun with his projects!

doolahrock 18th January 2012 11:58 PM

Probably looks like I'm dying for this to fail but nothing could be further from the truth. I just can't see anyway past the terrible acting in that leaked footage trailer.

Gojirosan 19th January 2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doolahrock (Post 210351)
Probably look like I'm dying for this to fail but nothing could be further from the truth. I just can't see anyway past the terrible acting in that leaked footage trailer.

Compared to all the excellent acting throughout Argento's career? :lol:

The man cannot direct actors, never has been able to, never will. Doesn't mean his films have been bad or unenjoyable.

Gojirosan 19th January 2012 12:09 AM

Will someone remember to bake me a nice humble pie when this is released and it's crap?

:lol: