Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Dario Argento's Dracula Anticipation Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/5548-dario-argentos-dracula-anticipation-thread.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 293423)
heh, sorry about the confusion! Need to structure my paragraphs a bit better eh? I agree, its not just Argento though is it? Ive read a few times on this site about how Fulci, Romero, Hooper, Carpenter, Corman all lost or have lost their way! Surely too may geniuses to be a coincidence? In certain areas creativity can grow with age but with horror film directors it seems to diminish. Shame. Hence we seem to live in the past with our love of movies eh? Can anyone name any good upcoming or present good directors who might have that special gene that I may not of heard of?

I can't think of any top directors, but I really like the new wave of horror from mainland Europe, with films like Martyrs, Livid, Frontiers, The Ordeal, The Orphanage, Julia's Eyes (to name but a few) really impressing.

profondo rosso 19th November 2012 10:30 PM

A lot of French and Spanish there! I watched a film called Hierro from Spain the other week, very atmospheric in parts as well as visually stunning and bizarre. I love the Orphanage, great movie.

PaulD 26th November 2012 12:37 PM

According to Alan Jones:

"DRACULA 3D: Italian weekend box-office figures - 210,000 euro gross on 170 screens"

Daemonia 26th November 2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 295643)
According to Alan Jones:

"DRACULA 3D: Italian weekend box-office figures - 210,000 euro gross on 170 screens"

Is that good or bad in terms of Italian cinema attendance?

PaulD 26th November 2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 295654)

I have no idea. I only posted it as I was hoping someone else would elaborate :)

keirarts 26th November 2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 295654)

Thats 1235 (rounded down) euros per screen, (£1000 rounded up) basicaly its made £17000 or thereabouts in its opening weekend. Dosent sound a lot but then I don't know how much films tend to gross in italy.

doolahrock 27th November 2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 295643)
According to Alan Jones:

That certainly doesn't sound like it set the world (well, Italy anyway) on fire but without knowing what business other films did the same weekend it doesn't really tell us much.

After a little bit of digging I found this -

Giallo (2010)

Reckons Giallo did $17,458 on it's opening weekend in Italy across 34 theatres. Can only presume that is accurate.

1235 Euro per screen for Dracula and 396 Euro (todays exchange rate) for Gaillo if my maths hasn't failed me (it often has to be fair). Suggests that Dracula may have done fairly well but I would like to see figures for other films to put it in perspective.

doolahrock 27th November 2012 02:27 PM

This site might help draw some conclusions but I can't see Dracula mentioned. Was it this past weekend it was released?

Italy Box Office, November 16–18, 2012