Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Dario Argento's Dracula Anticipation Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/5548-dario-argentos-dracula-anticipation-thread.html)

plasterface 17th December 2011 11:44 PM

dracula spectacular

It looks hilarious, i am sad Argento seems to have lost his mojo but this looks entertaining:pound:

Susan Foreman 18th December 2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 147788)
I completely agree with you on the poster Demdike - it's completely dull and uninspiring.

I know we are taking about the poster, and not the finished movie, and it might be heresy to say this, but...when was the last time that Argento made a film which wasn't dull and uninspiring?

Gojirosan 18th December 2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 204343)
I know we are taking about the poster, and not the finished movie, and it might be heresy to say this, but...when was the last time that Argento made a film which wasn't dull and uninspiring?

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th December 2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 204343)

The same could be said about everyone, the majority of films covered by this forum are from the sixties, seventies and eighties.

Most new horror films are just dismissed as rubbish straight away, and those that become a success (Saw, Hostel, Paranormal Entity etc) are derided and their directors chastised.

necroluciferia 18th December 2011 05:41 PM

I'll keep an open mind until I see the film, but the trailer I've seen doesn't inspire confidence at this early stage.

Prince_Vajda 18th December 2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 204344)

:nod:

I know that many Argento lovers will now draw their weapons, but I love Mother of Tears! It's a great movie, with a genuinely frightening atmosphere, and some really excellent scenes. It's not Argento at his peak, but pretty damn close to it! :)

Greetings!

plasterface 18th December 2011 07:42 PM

mother of tears

witch hazel from the bugs bunny cartoons was less silly than the 3rd mother

trench 18th December 2011 08:43 PM

Can't wait to see this now. I think it will be genuinely amazing(ly hilarious). The top comment on it is a gem : "Is the acting a work in progress too?"

Daemonia 19th December 2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 204378)
I know that many Argento lovers will now draw their weapons, but I love Mother of Tears! It's a great movie, with a genuinely frightening atmosphere, and some really excellent scenes. It's not Argento at his peak, but pretty damn close to it! :)

I love your jokes, they're so funny. :lol:

Delirium 19th December 2011 07:08 PM

I really like Mother of Tears too. It's not Argento at his peak, no, nor in the same league as Suspiria/Inferno (considering it's supposed to complete the trilogy). It's not scary either, and doesn't have the trademark Argento aesthetic.

But I can't say I didn't thoroughly enjoy it. It's campy, gory, fast-paced, fun, apocalyptic mayhem - a hark back to Italian horror at its most delirious and over the top. Suspiria and Inferno are perfectly crafted arthouse horrors. Mother of Tears is a somewhat sloppy unashamed b-movie, and works perfectly well on that front, with a genuinely entertaining performance from Asia. They're polar opposite films, but work in their own ways.

So I stand by that film! Despite the anticipation, the negative press I heard was overwhelming, but I loved every second. Enough to buy the DVD and the French Blu (damned forced subs!).

I'm no Argento apologist either - I found the Card Player quite dull, didn't like his Masters of Horror stuff, and Giallo just left me incredulous.