Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Dario Argento's Dracula Anticipation Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/5548-dario-argentos-dracula-anticipation-thread.html)

mlink73 10th May 2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 240742)
SLEEPLESS is very underrated imo

Pity he went for Card Player after that instead of doing the planned "Sunglasses" which would have been a Giallo set in Venice, hopefully one day he picks up the script again. :pray:

PaulD 14th May 2012 11:52 PM

We have a proper trailer:

Dracula 3D Official Trailer #1 (2012) - Dario Argento, Rutger Hauer Move HD - YouTube

CGI still looks really iffy. Overall I have to say I remain unconvinced although I'll obviously be giving it a go

Gojirosan 15th May 2012 12:00 AM

That trailer looks great!

Fairly excited now!

Pete 15th May 2012 12:12 AM

Looks alright.

keirarts 15th May 2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 242075)

Dracula 3D Official Trailer #1 (2012) - Dario Argento, Rutger Hauer Move HD - YouTube

CGI still looks really iffy. Overall I have to say I remain unconvinced although I'll obviously be giving it a go

Doesn't look argento's finest moment. I suspect the cheap look is something to do with being shot in 3d, but the CGI looks dreadful. The whole tone of the film is like early to mid nineties italian straight to video.

So I should probably enjoy it. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2012 07:55 AM

The CGI – especially the fire – does leave a lot to be desired but, overall, it looks quite promising.

Roughale 15th May 2012 09:14 AM

The trailer looks freakin' awful! What is riding Dario these days? It surely goes steeply downhill. That trailer is the worst I have seen from him so far - a drastically miscast lead role, laughable effects, bad acting - I better not watch this if I want to remember him as a good director - but I am not sure if crucifixes and garlic help against curiosity... :coolblue:

James Morton 15th May 2012 03:45 PM

i've seen other trailers of course and this is great also
can't wait for the dvd

Criterion7 15th May 2012 05:34 PM

I want to see this in theatre damnit. My gf uncle will be at Cannes( Mahi BineBine's book Gods Horse is now a film by Nabil Ayouch and it's up for competition against Brandon Cronenberg's debut Antiviral) and they are showcasing Argento's Dracula there. Sadly I'm missing Cannes this year.

profondo rosso 17th November 2012 07:00 PM

For a forum full of fans of B movies, cult classics and foreign fair that are not known for their oscar nominations, they are obscure, independent titles that we embrace with love away from the mainstream crowd.... are we being harsh on this trailer? Sure Argento seems way past his best, but I for one am looking forward to it. Ill give it a go and probably enjoy it because sometimes all the right ingredients, brilliant acting excellent SFX, big budget, renowned director etc still produces crap. Thats why were on here, as fans of the different, tacky, tasteless, laughable, obscure, foreign, cheap classics! BRING IT ON!

PaulD 17th November 2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 293218)
For a forum full of fans of B movies, cult classics and foreign fair that are not known for their oscar nominations, they are obscure, independent titles that we embrace with love away from the mainstream crowd.... are we being harsh on this trailer? Sure Argento seems way past his best, but I for one am looking forward to it. Ill give it a go and probably enjoy it because sometimes all the right ingredients, brilliant acting excellent SFX, big budget, renowned director etc still produces crap. Thats why were on here, as fans of the different, tacky, tasteless, laughable, obscure, foreign, cheap classics! BRING IT ON!

You make a fair point but I for one don't want to see Argento make something "tacky, tasteless and laughable". As cult film fans I think most of us will still see it with an open mind anyway though.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th November 2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 242075)

Give me this over the current trend for teeny bloodless hampire films anyday!;)

keirarts 18th November 2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Except with all his films up until (and including imo) opera. Argento set a gold standard as far as italian genre movies were concerned. They were operatic, well constructed classics that held their own against much bigger productions, if this were lugi cozzi's Dracula we would probably be cheering but the fans expect a lot more from argento than sadly he seems able to deliver lately.

profondo rosso 18th November 2012 10:10 AM

I agree with you on that front, Argento has been one of my heroes for his pushing of boundaries and individuality, since I was introdeced to him by a friend when I was a teenager I have been in awe with his work, Im in my forties now and was rewatching Deep Red last night, he just does not seem to lose his magicical hold over me, same with Fulci. Right now whilst I type this I am listening to Goblin 'live' so he has broadended my horizons in many other areas not just film. It has been heartbreaking at times to see his work go down hill, but I have accepted that he is past his best and take whatever I can from his work now. More dissapointing than anything for me is the topic 'Dracula', its been done to death and he could of developed his own 'monster' or theme so that he would not be bench marked by so many against past representations. I am not saying I want something laughable or tacky from Argento, I meant we all love films that cover those areas thats why were on this forum, we embrace a diverse range of films. Lets hope we have at some point a swan song from him, its the least the maestro deserves eh?

JoshuaKaitlyn 18th November 2012 11:00 AM

I'll give a shot! Although I did frown when I recognized Rutger Hauer. He's a bit like Steven Seagal.......Way past his prime and reduced to making anything for a quick buck!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 293356)
I'll give a shot! Although I did frown when I recognized Rutger Hauer. He's a bit like Steven Seagal.......Way past his prime and reduced to making anything for a quick buck!

Have you seen Hobo With A Shotgun. One of his most recent films but I'd say one of his very best!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

different, tacky, tasteless, laughable, obscure, foreign, cheap classics! BRING IT ON!

I never thought I'd see an Argento fan welcoming the release of one of his films described as that! If the trailer is representative – and I've learned never to trust trailers – it looks barrel-scrapingly awful and a massive step below the likes of Deep Red, Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage and all the other films where he fused high art with popular entertainment.

Even so, I will try and see it with an open mind.

profondo rosso 18th November 2012 02:08 PM

If you read my post I said that we are fans of films of that ilk, not fans of argento's film/s being like that! I said we embrace these types of films , that do not fit into mainstream tastes, thats why we are on this forum. I also said it breaks my heart to watch him slide away in terms of creativity, that does not sound like a fan who is accepting the way he is going but I will still try and draw anything I can from it and also give it a go. If it comes across that way then it wasnt meant to! :doh: Lets hope he can turn his hand to one more magical film. I would think he has a quite solid fanbase that will not grow massively no matter what he turns out, so why not go back to basics and make a retro giallo with trademark lighting, a good twist and some rollercoaster camerwork. Bread and butter but a crowd pleaser Im sure.:pop2:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 293385)
If you read my post I said that we are fans of films of that ilk, not fans of argento's film/s being like that! I said we embrace these types of films , that do not fit into mainstream tastes, thats why we are on this forum. I also said it breaks my heart to watch him slide away in terms of creativity, that does not sound like a fan who is accepting the way he is going but I will still try and draw anything I can from it and also give it a go. If it comes across that way then it wasnt meant to! :doh: Lets hope he can turn his hand to one more magical film. I would think he has a quite solid fanbase that will not grow massively no matter what he turns out, so why not go back to basics and make a retro giallo with trademark lighting, a good twist and some rollercoaster camerwork. Bread and butter but a crowd pleaser Im sure.:pop2:

I see what you mean now, but your initial post mentioned Argento and crappy B-movies. Yes, most of us love both, but it's strange to see them mentioned in the same breath!

Like you, I think it's extremely sad to see what happened to Argento and how the artistic flair and magnificent camerawork which were features of his earlier films have all but disappeared.

profondo rosso 18th November 2012 04:22 PM

heh, sorry about the confusion! Need to structure my paragraphs a bit better eh? I agree, its not just Argento though is it? Ive read a few times on this site about how Fulci, Romero, Hooper, Carpenter, Corman all lost or have lost their way! Surely too may geniuses to be a coincidence? In certain areas creativity can grow with age but with horror film directors it seems to diminish. Shame. Hence we seem to live in the past with our love of movies eh? Can anyone name any good upcoming or present good directors who might have that special gene that I may not of heard of?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th November 2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 293423)
heh, sorry about the confusion! Need to structure my paragraphs a bit better eh? I agree, its not just Argento though is it? Ive read a few times on this site about how Fulci, Romero, Hooper, Carpenter, Corman all lost or have lost their way! Surely too may geniuses to be a coincidence? In certain areas creativity can grow with age but with horror film directors it seems to diminish. Shame. Hence we seem to live in the past with our love of movies eh? Can anyone name any good upcoming or present good directors who might have that special gene that I may not of heard of?

I can't think of any top directors, but I really like the new wave of horror from mainland Europe, with films like Martyrs, Livid, Frontiers, The Ordeal, The Orphanage, Julia's Eyes (to name but a few) really impressing.

profondo rosso 19th November 2012 09:30 PM

A lot of French and Spanish there! I watched a film called Hierro from Spain the other week, very atmospheric in parts as well as visually stunning and bizarre. I love the Orphanage, great movie.

PaulD 26th November 2012 11:37 AM

According to Alan Jones:

"DRACULA 3D: Italian weekend box-office figures - 210,000 euro gross on 170 screens"

Daemonia 26th November 2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 295643)
According to Alan Jones:

"DRACULA 3D: Italian weekend box-office figures - 210,000 euro gross on 170 screens"

Is that good or bad in terms of Italian cinema attendance?

PaulD 26th November 2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 295654)

I have no idea. I only posted it as I was hoping someone else would elaborate :)

keirarts 26th November 2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 295654)

Thats 1235 (rounded down) euros per screen, (£1000 rounded up) basicaly its made £17000 or thereabouts in its opening weekend. Dosent sound a lot but then I don't know how much films tend to gross in italy.

doolahrock 27th November 2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 295643)
According to Alan Jones:

That certainly doesn't sound like it set the world (well, Italy anyway) on fire but without knowing what business other films did the same weekend it doesn't really tell us much.

After a little bit of digging I found this -

Giallo (2010)

Reckons Giallo did $17,458 on it's opening weekend in Italy across 34 theatres. Can only presume that is accurate.

1235 Euro per screen for Dracula and 396 Euro (todays exchange rate) for Gaillo if my maths hasn't failed me (it often has to be fair). Suggests that Dracula may have done fairly well but I would like to see figures for other films to put it in perspective.

doolahrock 27th November 2012 01:27 PM

This site might help draw some conclusions but I can't see Dracula mentioned. Was it this past weekend it was released?

Italy Box Office, November 16–18, 2012