Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:33 AM
Ex-member

Default First poster for Dario Argento's Dracula

each to their own..........
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
each to their own..........
Nah, carry on debating, I'm not tiring of it at all . . .
Old 22nd December 2011, 03:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
The thing is, the film isn't 'wild and out there', it's incredibly restrained and dull. Not 'out there' at all. Unless a couple of goth-wannabe-witches and three people smashing up a car is considered apocalyptic and 'out there'. Sorry, I don't buy it. It's inexcusable rubbish form a former master of horror. Put against his classic works, it pales in comparison and shamefully goes and hides in the corner.
Well as you once again compare it to his earlier works, then it doesn't stand a chance - you've made your choice. As I said before I take it on it's own terms and you wouldn't find any argument that those films are in a league of their own.

And I always thought it was quite wild, unless you don't consider babies being dropped of bridges, mad monkeys, Daria Nicolodi's white witch, Udo Kier, plenty of nakedness and some good, gory kill scenes wild - not to mention the goth witches. Sure it's camp of the highest order - but I like that. I notice that scene crops up a lot from the detractors of the film. It certainly isn't boring, but I wouldn't argue that point as taste is subjective after all.
Old 22nd December 2011, 07:35 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Nah, carry on debating, I'm not tiring of it at all . . .
you're right there...
carry on arguing!
Old 24th December 2011, 01:01 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Well as you once again compare it to his earlier works, then it doesn't stand a chance - you've made your choice. As I said before I take it on it's own terms and you wouldn't find any argument that those films are in a league of their own.

And I always thought it was quite wild, unless you don't consider babies being dropped of bridges, mad monkeys, Daria Nicolodi's white witch, Udo Kier, plenty of nakedness and some good, gory kill scenes wild - not to mention the goth witches. Sure it's camp of the highest order - but I like that. I notice that scene crops up a lot from the detractors of the film. It certainly isn't boring, but I wouldn't argue that point as taste is subjective after all.
It's hard not to compare it to his other works. As with any director, comparions will be made, observations on how it fits in with the whole body of work. So yes, I think it's acceptable to draw such comparisons. And when you look at how Mother of Tears fits in with his body of work, you can clearly see that it's an inferior work. So, compared with what he's capable of, it's clear to see that it's rubbish. In my opinion, of course.
Old 24th December 2011, 08:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default tears

Quote:
It's hard not to compare it to his other works. As with any director, comparions will be made, observations on how it fits in with the whole body of work. So yes, I think it's acceptable to draw such comparisons. And when you look at how Mother of Tears fits in with his body of work, you can clearly see that it's an inferior work. So, compared with what he's capable of, it's clear to see that it's rubbish. In my opinion, of course.
the very fact that its a sequel to the excellent suspiria is a valid reason to compare it to his earlier work. Its a sad fact of life that sometimes your favourite things go bad like red dwarf and frank miller comics. You just got to appreciate them at their best and not dwell on their worst.
Old 24th December 2011, 09:37 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I like Madre as well....as I've said on umpteen occasions,compared to his earlier films,it's a disaster,but then again,what later film DOES stand up to his earlier output?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 24th December 2011, 11:17 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
I like Madre as well....as I've said on umpteen occasions,compared to his earlier films,it's a disaster,but then again,what later film DOES stand up to his earlier output?
Very little of his post-90's output is any good. Sleepless and Stendhal Syndrome are fairly good, but still a far cry from classic Argento.
Old 24th December 2011, 11:25 AM
Active Cultist

I'll continue to have high hopes for Dracula but I've had high hopes for all of his recent output. The first 30 minutes of Giallo and I thought we were gonna get something pretty damn good. All kind of fell apart after that though.

MOT would be a great 'with loads of beer' film if it wasn't for the fact it is actually an Argento film. I honestly believe if it had been directed by someone else the majority of haters would have an entirely different outlook on the film. However, it is an Argento film and therefore we all have certain expectations.

I understand his interest in making a 3D film but the idea falls apart for me as I can't see many people actually getting to see it in 3D unless you have the appropriate home cinema set up. Might get a couple of one off screenings in the UK but the type of cinema that might show the film is unlikely to have the necessary hardware for 3D. I would have preferred they forgot about the 3D aspect to be honest.
Old 24th December 2011, 12:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
And you're welcome to that opinion - it was indeed a mistake to make it the third of the trilogy. But there's a world of difference between 'inferior work' and 'rubbish' - I concur with the former, but disagree with the latter. Considering the time between the films - 27/30 years - and the fact that during that time we've seen the director change considerably, I simply didn't expect another Suspiria or Inferno. I was surprised by how much I actually did enjoy it (trust me, I was prepared to hate it).

But I also can't write off what is also a wonderfully entertaining film in its own right (IMO), based on the fact it doesn't stand up to a film from 27/30 years ago. But again, I wouldn't argue that as it's all down to personal taste and I fully respect your opinion in not liking it.

Good discussing with you. Merry Christmas!

Like this? Share it using the links below!