Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2011, 12:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default dracula spectacular

It looks hilarious, i am sad Argento seems to have lost his mojo but this looks entertaining
Old 18th December 2011, 05:15 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I completely agree with you on the poster Demdike - it's completely dull and uninspiring.
I know we are taking about the poster, and not the finished movie, and it might be heresy to say this, but...when was the last time that Argento made a film which wasn't dull and uninspiring?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 18th December 2011, 05:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
I know we are taking about the poster, and not the finished movie, and it might be heresy to say this, but...when was the last time that Argento made a film which wasn't dull and uninspiring?
Old 18th December 2011, 06:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
The same could be said about everyone, the majority of films covered by this forum are from the sixties, seventies and eighties.

Most new horror films are just dismissed as rubbish straight away, and those that become a success (Saw, Hostel, Paranormal Entity etc) are derided and their directors chastised.
platostotal likes this.
Old 18th December 2011, 06:41 PM
Cultist
Good Trader

I'll keep an open mind until I see the film, but the trailer I've seen doesn't inspire confidence at this early stage.
Old 18th December 2011, 08:27 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

I know that many Argento lovers will now draw their weapons, but I love Mother of Tears! It's a great movie, with a genuinely frightening atmosphere, and some really excellent scenes. It's not Argento at his peak, but pretty damn close to it!

Greetings!
Old 18th December 2011, 08:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default mother of tears

witch hazel from the bugs bunny cartoons was less silly than the 3rd mother
Old 18th December 2011, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Can't wait to see this now. I think it will be genuinely amazing(ly hilarious). The top comment on it is a gem : "Is the acting a work in progress too?"
Old 19th December 2011, 01:10 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I know that many Argento lovers will now draw their weapons, but I love Mother of Tears! It's a great movie, with a genuinely frightening atmosphere, and some really excellent scenes. It's not Argento at his peak, but pretty damn close to it!
I love your jokes, they're so funny.
plasterface likes this.
Old 19th December 2011, 08:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I really like Mother of Tears too. It's not Argento at his peak, no, nor in the same league as Suspiria/Inferno (considering it's supposed to complete the trilogy). It's not scary either, and doesn't have the trademark Argento aesthetic.

But I can't say I didn't thoroughly enjoy it. It's campy, gory, fast-paced, fun, apocalyptic mayhem - a hark back to Italian horror at its most delirious and over the top. Suspiria and Inferno are perfectly crafted arthouse horrors. Mother of Tears is a somewhat sloppy unashamed b-movie, and works perfectly well on that front, with a genuinely entertaining performance from Asia. They're polar opposite films, but work in their own ways.

So I stand by that film! Despite the anticipation, the negative press I heard was overwhelming, but I loved every second. Enough to buy the DVD and the French Blu (damned forced subs!).

I'm no Argento apologist either - I found the Card Player quite dull, didn't like his Masters of Horror stuff, and Giallo just left me incredulous.

Like this? Share it using the links below!