Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2012, 07:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
whatever is said, I'll give my opinions when I eventually see Argento's DRACULA
there have been a number of scenes in his films which were misleading, confusing etc
for example in TRAUMA, when Piper Laurie is decapitated, she utters a name

the reason for this and she didn't get it at the time, was Argento 'paying homage or whatever' to Marie Antoinette who supposedly said something when was beheaded
He may have been paying homage, but I don't think he is regarded that highly in movie circles for anyone to get it ... or even care. And it looked just plain daft!

"Nicholas, Nicholas, Nicholas ..."
Old 20th January 2012, 07:52 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
He may have been paying homage, but I don't think he is regarded that highly in movie circles for anyone to get it ... or even care. And it looked just plain daft!

"Nicholas, Nicholas, Nicholas ..."
well i have said before that TRAUMA is one of the 3 least films from Argento

but i still wait to buy DRACULA......
Old 21st January 2012, 11:22 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
Does anyone know if the film was shot in native 3D or converted in post production? I am guessing the latter to keep production costs down. If it is the latter, the 3D will not be good at all.

Oh and someone pleeeeez explain the mantis!
It was shot in native 3D, according to Alan Jones in the Dark Side coverage of the film. He talks about how big and cumbersome the 3D cameras are.

My expectations for this film are very low. But you never know, I may be surprised.
Old 21st January 2012, 12:22 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
It was shot in native 3D, according to Alan Jones in the Dark Side coverage of the film. He talks about how big and cumbersome the 3D cameras are.

My expectations for this film are very low. But you never know, I may be surprised.
I wonder why they gave up on using the much smaller RED cameras. Seems to to work for Peter Jackson.
Old 21st January 2012, 12:33 PM
Ex-member

Default Dario Argento's Dracula Anticipation Thread

this will be Argento's first film in years without filming with Panalight cameras
Old 21st January 2012, 04:55 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
this will be Argento's first film in years without filming with Panalight cameras

Is this going to be the first time Dario's shot digitally?
Old 21st January 2012, 06:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I love Argento and to be honest its never been for the acting abilities of the films characters, I have never watched an Argento film and after though wow! What a performance!! But i have come away thinking what a mindf@ck, what a twist, what camera work, what lighting etc.

This is the same for most of my affection for euro cinema regarding acting, I love everything else it brings to the table. Dont expect too much so probably wont be dissapointed. I think if Dario had a turd on a plate I would probably find something good about it so I might be blinkered slightly!!

One thing though.........I HATE 3D!
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 6th February 2012, 01:56 PM
Cult Rookie

Being a huge Argento fan I must say I have my doubts about it, the whole marketing looks very dodgy - in Stereoscopic 3D????? The trailer didn't really ease my concerns to be honest but actually multiplied them. I don't know what to expect really, I will see it, that's for sure, but I'm going in there with very low expectations.
Old 10th May 2012, 10:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm looking forward to this one. Argento has gotten a lot of unfair criticism. Is every film he does perfect no. But he has made films that other directors would kill to have under there belt. Suspiria, Terror at the Opera, Stendahl Syndrome, Deep Red, Tenebrae, Inferno, Phenomena all brilliant pieces of film but even more than that brilliant works of art.
He's the type of director that like Kubrick should have his films seen as more than just a film but as art then you can decide whether you like it, hate it or even understand it.
What excites me about this film is this the guy that made all those brilliant visual films is making a 3d film.
It's never been that Argento can't direct actors it's that they don't matter. The actors are set pieces that help move the visuals along.
I'd like to say I'm surprised that the horror community has been iffy about it ut I'm not. When the whole of the sci-fi or fantasy community are raising up there own we've sadly taken to almost destroying our own. To the point where the only horror making money is what the casual viewers go to see.( the reason we got 7 Saw films)
Old 10th May 2012, 01:48 PM
Cult Rookie

I agree with you on the unfair criticism, I enjoyed his later works as much as I love his earlier masterpieces, but on the other hand movies like Phantom and Giallo are way below his standards by any means. The problem with Giallo is that he was just hired to direct, he didn't write or produced, same goes for Dracula. If Dario doesn't hold 100% creative control it never works out, Trauma was watered down and tampered with afterwards, Giallo as well. That;s why I lowered my hope for Dracula. I think the 3D will be great as Dario is very technical but in terms of story and especially atmosphere I'm afraid we get another "Argento light" like Giallo.
Criterion7 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!