Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2012, 03:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlink73 View Post
I agree with you on the unfair criticism, I enjoyed his later works as much as I love his earlier masterpieces, but on the other hand movies like Phantom and Giallo are way below his standards by any means. The problem with Giallo is that he was just hired to direct, he didn't write or produced, same goes for Dracula. If Dario doesn't hold 100% creative control it never works out, Trauma was watered down and tampered with afterwards, Giallo as well. That;s why I lowered my hope for Dracula. I think the 3D will be great as Dario is very technical but in terms of story and especially atmosphere I'm afraid we get another "Argento light" like Giallo.
Didn't Argento have something to do with the script? I don't know all the behind the scenes on this one but I trust Argento to at least put blood and horror back into the Vampire legacy after crap like Twillight and let's be honest...Bram Stokers Dracula really was pretty bad itself . I assume it'll at least be better than that.
Old 10th May 2012, 03:26 PM
Ex-member

I don't care what anybody says about Argento's DRACULA
It's going to be gory and of course giving his interpretation of Bram Stoker's classic novel, which is no bad thing
I'm looking forward to it whenever on dvd
Not a fan of 3D though, so hoping its 2D as well, should be!
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 10th May 2012, 03:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
I don't care what anybody says about Argento's DRACULA
It's going to be gory and of course giving his interpretation of Bram Stoker's classic novel, which is no bad thing
I'm looking forward to it whenever on dvd
Not a fan of 3D though, so hoping its 2D as well, should be!
In theatre I'm guessing it's 3D since it was shot in 3D and not given some lousy conversion. They'll probably show it 2d as well but I'd suggest seeing the 3D just to get Argentos vision. You can always buy the 2d version on DVD.
Old 10th May 2012, 04:24 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
In theatre I'm guessing it's 3D since it was shot in 3D and not given some lousy conversion. They'll probably show it 2d as well but I'd suggest seeing the 3D just to get Argentos vision. You can always buy the 2d version on DVD.
where i live they don't show Argento films!
like i said i before whenever the dvd is released I'm going to buy it!
and of course i hope they have the dvd with 3D and 2D options
Old 10th May 2012, 04:35 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm looking forward to this one. Argento has gotten a lot of unfair criticism. Is every film he does perfect no. But he has made films that other directors would kill to have under there belt. Suspiria, Terror at the Opera, Stendahl Syndrome, Deep Red, Tenebrae, Inferno, Phenomena all brilliant pieces of film but even more than that brilliant works of art.
I'm not sure if any of the criticism was unfair because, no matter who the director may be, a bad film is a bad film and luminaries such as Jean-Luc Godard and Francis Ford Coppola have made clunkers which have been rightfully panned.

Although Argento has, as you pointed out, made some brilliant films, his last few haven't been very good, with Phantom of the Opera and Giallo being extremely poor.

However, I will watch Dracula (hopefully at the cinema) with an open mind.
Old 10th May 2012, 05:13 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Didn't Argento have something to do with the script? I don't know all the behind the scenes on this one but I trust Argento to at least put blood and horror back into the Vampire legacy after crap like Twillight and let's be honest...Bram Stokers Dracula really was pretty bad itself . I assume it'll at least be better than that.

IMDB says he was one of the 4 writers for Dracula, but since Giallo wrongfully credited Argento as the writer I don't trust that too much. Argento doesn't produce and that worries me the most, like I said before he is at his best when he has full artistic control. I am going to see Dracula for sure as it is Argento but I go in with lower expectations this time after that Giallo disaster....
Old 10th May 2012, 05:22 PM
Cult Addict

I Find myself looking forward to this for some reason.

Argentos days as a quality film maker are long behind him and nothing i've seen since opera can really be called a classic, but I expect this to at least be a bit of trashy fun like stendahl syndrome was. Hope its not another giallo though!
Old 10th May 2012, 05:42 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I Find myself looking forward to this for some reason.

Argentos days as a quality film maker are long behind him and nothing i've seen since opera can really be called a classic, but I expect this to at least be a bit of trashy fun like stendahl syndrome was. Hope its not another giallo though!
I think Stendhal is a very underrated movie, it actually grew on me with every viewing, I won't go that far to call it a masterpiece but it's certainly better than Phantom and Giallo, Sleepless was a brief return to form actually.
Crimson Blade likes this.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlink73 View Post
I think Stendhal is a very underrated movie, it actually grew on me with every viewing, I won't go that far to call it a masterpiece but it's certainly better than Phantom and Giallo, Sleepless was a brief return to form actually.
I Like stendahl all the way up to where thomas kretchmann (who plays dracula in the new movie) dies, then the movie loses the plot completely and has nowhere to go.

I do agree sleepless is the closest he's come to regaining his talent.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:31 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I Like stendahl all the way up to where thomas kretchmann (who plays dracula in the new movie) dies, then the movie loses the plot completely and has nowhere to go.

I do agree sleepless is the closest he's come to regaining his talent.
SLEEPLESS is very underrated imo

Like this? Share it using the links below!