Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2012, 08:45 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
For a forum full of fans of B movies, cult classics and foreign fair that are not known for their oscar nominations, they are obscure, independent titles that we embrace with love away from the mainstream crowd.... are we being harsh on this trailer? Sure Argento seems way past his best, but I for one am looking forward to it. Ill give it a go and probably enjoy it because sometimes all the right ingredients, brilliant acting excellent SFX, big budget, renowned director etc still produces crap. Thats why were on here, as fans of the different, tacky, tasteless, laughable, obscure, foreign, cheap classics! BRING IT ON!
You make a fair point but I for one don't want to see Argento make something "tacky, tasteless and laughable". As cult film fans I think most of us will still see it with an open mind anyway though.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 17th November 2012, 11:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
We have a proper trailer:

CGI still looks really iffy. Overall I have to say I remain unconvinced although I'll obviously be giving it a go
Give me this over the current trend for teeny bloodless hampire films anyday!
platostotal and Criterion7 like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 18th November 2012, 07:36 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
For a forum full of fans of B movies, cult classics and foreign fair that are not known for their oscar nominations, they are obscure, independent titles that we embrace with love away from the mainstream crowd.... are we being harsh on this trailer? Sure Argento seems way past his best, but I for one am looking forward to it. Ill give it a go and probably enjoy it because sometimes all the right ingredients, brilliant acting excellent SFX, big budget, renowned director etc still produces crap. Thats why were on here, as fans of the different, tacky, tasteless, laughable, obscure, foreign, cheap classics! BRING IT ON!
Except with all his films up until (and including imo) opera. Argento set a gold standard as far as italian genre movies were concerned. They were operatic, well constructed classics that held their own against much bigger productions, if this were lugi cozzi's Dracula we would probably be cheering but the fans expect a lot more from argento than sadly he seems able to deliver lately.
Old 18th November 2012, 11:10 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I agree with you on that front, Argento has been one of my heroes for his pushing of boundaries and individuality, since I was introdeced to him by a friend when I was a teenager I have been in awe with his work, Im in my forties now and was rewatching Deep Red last night, he just does not seem to lose his magicical hold over me, same with Fulci. Right now whilst I type this I am listening to Goblin 'live' so he has broadended my horizons in many other areas not just film. It has been heartbreaking at times to see his work go down hill, but I have accepted that he is past his best and take whatever I can from his work now. More dissapointing than anything for me is the topic 'Dracula', its been done to death and he could of developed his own 'monster' or theme so that he would not be bench marked by so many against past representations. I am not saying I want something laughable or tacky from Argento, I meant we all love films that cover those areas thats why were on this forum, we embrace a diverse range of films. Lets hope we have at some point a swan song from him, its the least the maestro deserves eh?
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 18th November 2012, 12:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'll give a shot! Although I did frown when I recognized Rutger Hauer. He's a bit like Steven Seagal.......Way past his prime and reduced to making anything for a quick buck!
Old 18th November 2012, 12:45 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
I'll give a shot! Although I did frown when I recognized Rutger Hauer. He's a bit like Steven Seagal.......Way past his prime and reduced to making anything for a quick buck!
Have you seen Hobo With A Shotgun. One of his most recent films but I'd say one of his very best!
Old 18th November 2012, 02:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
different, tacky, tasteless, laughable, obscure, foreign, cheap classics! BRING IT ON!
I never thought I'd see an Argento fan welcoming the release of one of his films described as that! If the trailer is representative – and I've learned never to trust trailers – it looks barrel-scrapingly awful and a massive step below the likes of Deep Red, Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage and all the other films where he fused high art with popular entertainment.

Even so, I will try and see it with an open mind.
Old 18th November 2012, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

If you read my post I said that we are fans of films of that ilk, not fans of argento's film/s being like that! I said we embrace these types of films , that do not fit into mainstream tastes, thats why we are on this forum. I also said it breaks my heart to watch him slide away in terms of creativity, that does not sound like a fan who is accepting the way he is going but I will still try and draw anything I can from it and also give it a go. If it comes across that way then it wasnt meant to! Lets hope he can turn his hand to one more magical film. I would think he has a quite solid fanbase that will not grow massively no matter what he turns out, so why not go back to basics and make a retro giallo with trademark lighting, a good twist and some rollercoaster camerwork. Bread and butter but a crowd pleaser Im sure.
Old 18th November 2012, 03:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
If you read my post I said that we are fans of films of that ilk, not fans of argento's film/s being like that! I said we embrace these types of films , that do not fit into mainstream tastes, thats why we are on this forum. I also said it breaks my heart to watch him slide away in terms of creativity, that does not sound like a fan who is accepting the way he is going but I will still try and draw anything I can from it and also give it a go. If it comes across that way then it wasnt meant to! Lets hope he can turn his hand to one more magical film. I would think he has a quite solid fanbase that will not grow massively no matter what he turns out, so why not go back to basics and make a retro giallo with trademark lighting, a good twist and some rollercoaster camerwork. Bread and butter but a crowd pleaser Im sure.
I see what you mean now, but your initial post mentioned Argento and crappy B-movies. Yes, most of us love both, but it's strange to see them mentioned in the same breath!

Like you, I think it's extremely sad to see what happened to Argento and how the artistic flair and magnificent camerawork which were features of his earlier films have all but disappeared.
Old 18th November 2012, 05:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

heh, sorry about the confusion! Need to structure my paragraphs a bit better eh? I agree, its not just Argento though is it? Ive read a few times on this site about how Fulci, Romero, Hooper, Carpenter, Corman all lost or have lost their way! Surely too may geniuses to be a coincidence? In certain areas creativity can grow with age but with horror film directors it seems to diminish. Shame. Hence we seem to live in the past with our love of movies eh? Can anyone name any good upcoming or present good directors who might have that special gene that I may not of heard of?

Like this? Share it using the links below!