Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Dario Argento's Dracula Anticipation Thread

This is the first poster for Dracula 3d as directed by Dario Argento.

It stars Rutger Hauer as Van Helsing, as usual Asia Argento has a lead role. The film is said to be very faithfull to the novel.

In my opinion the poster is a little underwhelming. What are your thoughts on the poster and the film, do we need another version of Dracula, if we do is Dario a good choice after his version of another classic novel in Phantom of the Opera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dracula050111.jpg (17.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I completely agree with you on the poster Demdike - it's completely dull and uninspiring.

As for the film, it will be great to see how the Italian maestro handles the Dracula legend (although I'm hoping that we won't see another Phantom of the Opera!). I think the quality of the film will come down to how much creative control Argento has, coupled with the quality of acting talent available - Hauer is a solid performer, so this one may surprise, but hopefully not shock!
Old 3rd May 2011, 05:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I'm on the fence with this. Not really looking forward to it.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:45 PM
Active Cultist

From the clips i have seen on the net this looks BAD,Full of awful CGI and very cheap looking
Old 11th May 2011, 06:26 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I completely agree with you on the poster Demdike - it's completely dull and uninspiring.

As for the film, it will be great to see how the Italian maestro handles the Dracula legend (although I'm hoping that we won't see another Phantom of the Opera!). I think the quality of the film will come down to how much creative control Argento has, coupled with the quality of acting talent available - Hauer is a solid performer, so this one may surprise, but hopefully not shock!
Well, it is a promo poster artwork after all, and no final poster to seduce any possible cinema goers. So the final poster will look better, I guess.

Very true, bizarre_eye. Hauer is a remarkable face and it would be nice to see a real badass Abraham Van Helsing; I hope the script does give Hauer some one liners as I think that a subtle and sophisticated Van Helsing would not fit Hauer.

Im one of the few who actually liked his Mother of Tears. It had suspense, gory effects and the lovely Asia in the lead. Three pros in my book. Of course, Savini instead of CGI would have been better - I was quite happy with the end result, though, especially as I do not expect clever plots from an Argento flick.

However, I personally would love Argento to pick up his old Suspiria and especially his Inferno-style - I like his visual ideas on those two very much and I missed it in MoT. But I doubt we will see such stylish movies nowadays - as I also think that the general audience would not accept such movies today and that also Argento may not be capable of directing that way anymore.

Greetings!

PS: Found another artwork. Still no classy thing, but better than the one already posted, I'd say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dracula3d.jpg (7.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 11th May 2011, 10:22 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Thats a better poster.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

hmm. will asia be playing mina or what? hopefully not.
Old 11th May 2011, 01:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
hmm. will asia be playing mina or what? hopefully not.
I think she still looks quite handsome. Thirty-five years seems to be the beginning of a tough age for most women, though.

What? What do you say? I can't hear you! Ah! Now! Her acting abilities? Well, it's either acting or stunning beauty (pun intended).

Greetings!
Old 11th May 2011, 02:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

She doesn't really do it for me on either level.

Just average.

I remember thinking during Mother of Tears how her co-star was far sexier than Asia herself, then sadly she was brutally murdered before we left the museum.
Old 11th May 2011, 06:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
She doesn't really do it for me on either level.

Just average.

I remember thinking during Mother of Tears how her co-star was far sexier than Asia herself, then sadly she was brutally murdered before we left the museum.
I still think she's very alluring.

But as you might know:
De gustibus non disputandum.

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!