Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2011, 09:40 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Hopefully with the involvement of Raimi, Tapert, and Campbell, they should see this kept on the right track. Fingers crossed!
Old 14th July 2011, 10:05 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I don't think any remake actually 'kills off' the original. It's not as if the original suddenly ceases to exist. If the remake is crap, just don't see it and stick with the original film. Personally, I'd be interested to see how this tuens out. Could be interesting. Point is, whether we want it or not, they're going to remake it anyway and they won't listen to the likes of us. So either see it or don't. They're the only options, I'm afraid.

I'm not anti-remakes, some can turn out well and become classics in their own right (The Thing, The Fly etc). What I've objected to in recent years is the sheer volume of remakes coming out of Hollywood, it's been ridiculous.
Essexfreak likes this.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:08 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I'm not anti-remakes, some can turn out well and become classics in their own right (The Thing, The Fly etc). What I've objected to in recent years is the sheer volume of remakes coming out of Hollywood, it's been ridiculous.
The thing with those two remakes is that they were both done by directors with a clear vision and who were enormous fans of the originals. The problem I think with the recent spate of remakes over the last few years is that the idea to remake a popular and famous film comes first, and then they stick a director on the project afterwards.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I want to keep an open mind to this "remake" or whatever it will turn out to be. The first movie is an iconic movie in my back catalogue. It made a huge impression on me when I first saw it. Whilst I would have preferred a darker movie, Evil Dead 2 was a lot of fun, although I preferred the make-up effects in the original, to the plastic looking effects in 2.

What I would love to see in a new Evil Dead film is a return to the gross out, spookiness of the original; a push towards a more hardcore horror than Army of Darkness. The demon possessed make-up could do with being similar to the crusty cereal look of the first film.

I use The Evil Dead comic book adaptation as an example of how it could be done. anyone read it? It expanded a little on the first film without losing the atmosphere and story. We got narration from an older Ash, complete with that cynical sense of humour of his, but nothing too OTT like the one-liners in AOD. There were flashbacks to Ash's first high school meeting with Linda and his relationship with Scotty. All this had a more contemporary feel to it without losing the spirit of the movie.

*****COMIC BOOK SPOILERS!!!!!******
What was genius about this adaptation was the end. It all goes how you expect until the reader finds that it's all been a dream. Normally, I'd groan at this idea but what it does is pave the way for Evil Dead 2. Ash wakes in the car, with Linda driving and they find themselves at the cabin. So, the beginning of the Evil Dead 2 movie would have worked.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

what does bother me is seeing titles like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D. Despair sets in.
Essexfreak likes this.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
So it's been confirmed!

The Evil Dead remake confirmed - Den of Geek

I don't know what to think...
loved the comments under the spiel....having just watched this on the big screen recently...no remake would touch the sheer inventivness(?) of some of the shots, all CGI etc....but then again DMTH combined top rate FX with his oldschool approach...so dont go near it if you hate remakes.....il never watch that weaker man etc....
Old 14th July 2011, 11:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I don't think any remake actually 'kills off' the original. It's not as if the original suddenly ceases to exist. If the remake is crap, just don't see it and stick with the original film. Personally, I'd be interested to see how this tuens out. Could be interesting. Point is, whether we want it or not, they're going to remake it anyway and they won't listen to the likes of us. So either see it or don't. They're the only options, I'm afraid.

That's not exactly what I meant. I think of The Evil Dead as a cult film yet if the remake becomes a big Hollywood film I would no longer see the original films as cult films.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
That's not exactly what I meant. I think of The Evil Dead as a cult film yet if the remake becomes a big Hollywood film I would no longer see the original films as cult films.
Que??
Old 14th July 2011, 11:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
Que??
I don't know, I was up all night and still haven't slept so I don't exactly know what I'm saying.
Daemonia and Demoncrat like this.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:36 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

One of the great things about The Evil Dead is the spirit of the film, the DIY approach Raimi took, the way it was might outside of a studio. In many ways this attitude is what makes certain parts of the film so good - the make-up, the low-budget feel of the film, the inventiveness of some of the shots. I don't see what a remake can add to this, even with the original cast/production team on board as producers.

Like this? Share it using the links below!