Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2011, 07:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

watching the trailer for the "prequel" of The Thing, it looked like a remake of a sequel.
Old 25th July 2011, 09:11 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I think a remake of The Evil Dead could be interesting as long as it stays true to the spirit of the original film.
I like to think so but if the remake strays too far for comfort from the original's ever-popular formula then i won't be interested.

Also, There'll be no need to deliver CGI deadites despite Hollywood's annoying obsession with the technology. Good 'ol fashioned make-up FX worked back in '79 and should do so again this time around.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ah....The Haunting...The Fog...both were "enhanced" by CGI...and are all the better for it........
IMO no remake captures the spirit of the original.
unless you count Sharktopus.
Old 25th July 2011, 11:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
I like to think so but if the remake strays too far for comfort from the original's ever-popular formula then i won't be interested.

Also, There'll be no need to deliver CGI deadites despite Hollywood's annoying obsession with the technology. Good 'ol fashioned make-up FX worked back in '79 and should do so again this time around.
Sam Raimi was a big fan of stop-motion animation and used it in all three Evil Dead movies, I wouldn't mind seeing it used in the remake if it required it instead of CGI.Which reminds me anyone been to see the Ray Harryhausen exhibition at the London Film Museum? I'm going to see it sometime this week.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post

I'd like to see the original Evil Dead make-up look return. Stake Land showed that you can do fairly cheap make-up jobs without sacraficing quality. The make-up FX in ED2 were superior in technical standards but lost the spookiness. Look at the difference in Evil Eds; on one hand we had the actor's make-up, which looked quite cool, if not a little rubbery then we had the animatronic dummy that ate some of Sarah Berry's hair. That just looked cheap and didn't match the Ed make-up clearly enough. It's a pity as the standard of FX was generally high on the shoot just not as atmospheric as the rice krispie/latex used in the original
Old 25th July 2011, 12:45 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
Sam Raimi was a big fan of stop-motion animation and used it in all three Evil Dead movies, I wouldn't mind seeing it used in the remake if it required it instead of CGI.Which reminds me anyone been to see the Ray Harryhausen exhibition at the London Film Museum? I'm going to see it sometime this week.
Stop-motion animation and especially Ray Harryhausen rule!

Greetings!
InDogWeTrust likes this.
Old 26th July 2011, 12:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
I'd like to see the original Evil Dead make-up look return. The make-up FX in ED2 were superior in technical standards but lost the spookiness. Look at the difference in Evil Eds; on one hand we had the actor's make-up, which looked quite cool, if not a little rubbery then we had the animatronic dummy that ate some of Sarah Berry's hair. That just looked cheap and didn't match the Ed make-up clearly enough. It's a pity as the standard of FX was generally high on the shoot just not as atmospheric as the rice krispie/latex used in the original
Well said and i'm in agreement with you there.

The Deadites in Raimi's original were scary back in '83 and still shiver the spine now. Imo it's just the combination of palid facial complexions and those white Sclera lenses. Supremely and severly spooky!

I just don't see the need for CGI to replace what worked fine in the first place. If it 'ain't broken, don't fix it. I'm not totally impartial to the usage of PC power as long as it's on an 'as and when' basis and not just employed seemingly for the sake of it as so often appears to be the case with many modern Hollywood offerings. Imo old school FX, even when perfectly applicable and servicable simply aren't seen as 'in' enough by the studio powers that be and subsequently we end up being buried under an avalanche of CGI trickery instead. You can add 3D gimmickry into the mix nowadays too.

With the remake it'll be interesting to see if we get an initial look at the 'Wood Demon' this time around as we all know Raimi's first TED denied us this opportunity. Such an appearance came our way in the sequel and i believe many fans were disappointed by the physical debut of 'Rotten Apple Head' probably myself included. Such a potential occasion in the remake will probably be an instance when CGI FX comes into play more successfully and gives us something much more approvable to look at. But only time will tell i guess.
Old 26th July 2011, 01:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I am not sure that merely sharing a title qualifies for "remake" status. I wouldn't call Prom Night, Toolbox Murders or House Of Wax remakes really as they are just too different from the supposed "source". Toolbox Murders and House Of Wax were all the better for it. Prom Night was just a bad film.

Remakes I liked: Nosferatu The Vampyre, Cape Fear, The Hills Have Eyes, Piranha, The Thing, The Fly, Body Snatchers, Fistful Of Dollars...

Remakes I did not like: Dawn Of The Dad, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Fog, The Amityville Horror, The Crazies, The Haunting, Assault On Precinct 13, Disturbia (just about a remake, I suppose!), Godzilla, Quarantine...

Remakes that were kinda OK, I guess: Night Of The Living Dead, My Bloody Valentine, The Ring, Village Of The Damned

Remakes I couldn't bring myself to sit through: The Wicker Man, Friday The 13th (I started, but...), Nightmare On Elm Street, Last House On The Left, I Spit On Your Grave...

Last edited by Gojirosan; 26th July 2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 26th July 2011, 03:45 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Heres a short film by the guy who is going to be directing the ED remake:

Old 26th July 2011, 08:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Producers in Hollywood must stop remaking movies and must find original ideas for a change!!!!!!!

Like this? Share it using the links below!