Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2011, 09:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Well said and i'm in agreement with you there.

The Deadites in Raimi's original were scary back in '83 and still shiver the spine now. Imo it's just the combination of palid facial complexions and those white Sclera lenses. Supremely and severly spooky!

I just don't see the need for CGI to replace what worked fine in the first place. If it 'ain't broken, don't fix it. I'm not totally impartial to the usage of PC power as long as it's on an 'as and when' basis and not just employed seemingly for the sake of it as so often appears to be the case with many modern Hollywood offerings. Imo old school FX, even when perfectly applicable and servicable simply aren't seen as 'in' enough by the studio powers that be and subsequently we end up being buried under an avalanche of CGI trickery instead. You can add 3D gimmickry into the mix nowadays too.

With the remake it'll be interesting to see if we get an initial look at the 'Wood Demon' this time around as we all know Raimi's first TED denied us this opportunity. Such an appearance came our way in the sequel and i believe many fans were disappointed by the physical debut of 'Rotten Apple Head' probably myself included. Such a potential occasion in the remake will probably be an instance when CGI FX comes into play more successfully and gives us something much more approvable to look at. But only time will tell i guess.
The best use of CGI is when you don't notice that you're looking at computer generated material. I'll loosely use Terminator Salvation as an example. Some of the CGI models look like actual physical models. I can't see a TED "remake" not using some somewhere. If i was a betting man, I'd guess that the filmmakers might use a CG black mist to illustrate the initial possession. (I'm not talking the heavy thick grey fog that is used in Supernatural). CG white eyes is a must to replace the painful sclera eyepieces.

As ED2 was low budget I didn't feel let down by the wood demon, although everytime I watch it I notice Bruce pull himself into the grip of the creature I felt more let down by the Evil Ed animatronic. The evil Ash make-up was good as Bruce has an interesting face for an FX person to work on.
I liked the fact that the Wood Demon was unseen, even if it looked and sounded like the cameraman was riding a motorbike.
Hopefully, it goes without saying that there must be NO CGI BLOOD!!!! If there is I will go kin mad
Old 27th July 2011, 04:24 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Hopefully, it goes without saying that there must be NO CGI BLOOD!!!! If there is I will go kin mad

That goes without saying for every film ever! It's such a bugbear of mine, always takes me right out of the film when I see it.
Old 27th July 2011, 04:27 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
That goes without saying for every film ever! It's such a bugbear of mine, always takes me right out of the film when I see it.
100% agree CGI Blood is just unforgivable.

Surely it must be cheaper to get a load of syrup and red food colouring than to create, sh***ty looking, CGI blood.
Old 28th July 2011, 08:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
100% agree CGI Blood is just unforgivable.

Surely it must be cheaper to get a load of syrup and red food colouring than to create, sh***ty looking, CGI blood.
You'd think so! Maybe it's the cleaning up costs that spiral on a good horror set, not the blood itself
Old 20th August 2011, 09:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
I can't see a TED "remake" not using some CGI somewhere.
I second that. I just hope PC-powered FX don't totally dominate the onscreen horror when some of the trusty old techniques may still be perfectly acceptable for use.
BioZombie likes this.
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
I second that. I just hope PC-powered FX don't totally dominate the onscreen horror when some of the trusty old techniques may still be perfectly acceptable for use.
I've felt the same about action movies. Watching Fast Five last night, they appeared to have a good mix of CG and physical effects.
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I hate CGI blood with a passion, it was the main thing I hated about Midnight Meat Train.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I thought The Road had some very good CG, I like they way it looked so damp, it blended in very well...

The Evil Dead for the remake mill - this is news to me... I won't dump on this yet - I heard some good stuff about the I Spit on Your Grave remake so we'll see... I actually think even Sam Raimi couldn't remake this one - the original is just one of those moments where the film makers manage to bottle lightning. Evil Dead II has its moments but it doesn't touch the original... Everyone mentions Rob Bottin's anamatronic effects from The Thing but I think Tom Sullivan's effects in the finale of Evil Dead are still astonishing...
Old 22nd August 2011, 01:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I thought The Road had some very good CG, I like they way it looked so damp, it blended in very well...
That's because the filmmakers used CG for the right reasons, to enhance the movie. I hardly noticed it in The Road.

The trouble is when an effect takes you out of the picture. CG blood does this because it always looks so fake.

I'll use I Am Legend as a good and bad example of CG. The first Act has some great scenes showing a post-Apocalyptic New York, then we see the CG monsters. Oh dear!
Old 22nd August 2011, 06:02 PM
Active Cultist

Is anybody else worried about Diablo Cody's involvement in this?

Like this? Share it using the links below!