Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2011, 06:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnashsear View Post
Is anybody else worried about Diablo Cody's involvement in this?
Old 22nd August 2011, 06:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's a shame the Crank fellas weren't hired. Just seen their wonderfully kinetic trailer for the new Ghost Rider film. No one wants high art from it, just a director who can handle proper bonkers visuals and a blacker than black sense of humour. Might be ok if they can get the balance right . . .
Old 22nd August 2011, 06:32 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
That's because the filmmakers used CG for the right reasons, to enhance the movie. I hardly noticed it in The Road.

The trouble is when an effect takes you out of the picture. CG blood does this because it always looks so fake.

I'll use I Am Legend as a good and bad example of CG. The first Act has some great scenes showing a post-Apocalyptic New York, then we see the CG monsters. Oh dear!
The creatures in I am legend are some of the worst I have ever seen, I agree that cgi blood is ****ing awful, actually most of the cgi in horror films these is terrible I'd prefer to see practical effects any day. Most of the time bad cgi can ruin a movie for me.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.609163,-0.269108
Old 22nd August 2011, 07:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthehero View Post
The creatures in I am legend are some of the worst I have ever seen, I agree that cgi blood is ****ing awful,
Agreed. They did an article on Den of Geek today about how there hasn't been one example of a frightening CGI creature. They had a screenshot from I Am Legend that reminded me just how terrible they looked . . .
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:29 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Agreed. They did an article on Den of Geek today about how there hasn't been one example of a frightening CGI creature. They had a screenshot from I Am Legend that reminded me just how terrible they looked . . .
It sucks because that had the makings of a really good film up until you see the creatures. Any way as for the evil dead remake I quite looking forward to what its gonna be like as long as they calm down on the cgi it could be good. Who on earth are they gonna replace Bruce campbell with tho!
Oh and I know it's a strange choice but army of darkness is my favourite of the three.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.609149,-0.268971
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthehero View Post
Who on earth are they gonna replace Bruce campbell with tho!
Very early word implies that they won't be using the same characters, and that older Ash will appear at some point like a visiting hobo with information on what is happening.

As I've posted before, I hope it's a frightening balls-out horror, without the humour in 2 and 3. Stake Land showed how they could do the possessed make-up without resorting to CG.
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Very early word implies that they won't be using the same characters, and that older Ash will appear at some point like a visiting hobo with information on what is happening.

As I've posted before, I hope it's a frightening balls-out horror, without the humour in 2 and 3. Stake Land showed how they could do the possessed make-up without resorting to CG.
I don't think they can put Ash in it (a now distinct comedy character) and keep up a serious tone. Depending on how they place it, the last time we saw him was either killing a demon and saying 'Hail to the King, baby' or stuck in the future, so it's going to be pretty hard to keep it serious!
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
I don't think they can put Ash in it (a now distinct comedy character) and keep up a serious tone. Depending on how they place it, the last time we saw him was either killing a demon and saying 'Hail to the King, baby' or stuck in the future, so it's going to be pretty hard to keep it serious!
When I said "without the humour in 2 and 3" I didn't mean have no humour at all.

There can still be a bit of comedy in it, without it becoming too OTT. Using the new Fright Night as an example, it's possible to have a proper horror with comedy elements. Ash could come back (as implied) as a caretaker type that could still throw a few one-liners into the mix without going back to the caricature we know and love. It'd be "groovy".
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:18 AM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to parkrobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Some movies really don't need any remakes. The Evil Dead is definitely one of them. Period.

Greetings!
Prince Vajda, I could not agree with you more. And yet this common sense does not seem to penitrate some studios. The Nicolas Cage Wickerman is a prime example... Leave it alone!

Last edited by parkrobs; 25th August 2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 16th September 2011, 05:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Bad news! Campbell's Ash Out Of "Evil Dead" Reboot | News | Dark Horizons

Quite what "new approach"means is anybody's guess

Like this? Share it using the links below!