Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:27 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Evil Dead and Ash are one entity in my eyes, you can't separate them. Can't have one without the other. But that's because the original trilogy is what's foremost in my mind. So it'll be hard to judge any remake without preconceptions. I'll do my best to keep an open mind, but it still seems all a bit pointless to me. Most remakes have committed the sin of not bringing anything new to the table and being too dull and unimaginative considering the FX wizardry available these days compared to when the originals were filmed. I've no objection to remakes in principle, but do something new. Update the stories and concepts. Not only do Hollywood seem fixated on remaking everything, but doing so in the most boring way possible. Be creative, expand on the concepts, use modern technology to do the things the original filmmakers couldn't do. Jeez, is it really that hard to be creative and original, even if doing a remake? The Hills Have Eyes remake had the right idea. If only all remakes were that good...
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Bad news! Campbell's Ash Out Of "Evil Dead" Reboot | News | Dark Horizons

Quite what "new approach"means is anybody's guess
theyre filming the musical????
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
theyre filming the musical????
I would not be surprised!
Old 4th October 2011, 03:35 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

This was me when I found out about an Evil Dead remake...

Daemonia and wayfarer like this.
Old 19th October 2011, 05:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
CG for the right reasons, to enhance the movie. I'll use I Am Legend as a good and bad example of CG. The first Act has some great scenes showing a post-Apocalyptic New York, then we see the CG monsters. Oh dear!
My thoughts exactly. CGI just for the sake of it and an army of extras in FX make-up would've worked far better imo.

Quote:
I hope it's a frightening balls-out horror, without the humour in 2 and 3. Stake Land showed how they could do the possessed make-up without resorting to CG.
Yeah, once the Three Stooges-esque amusement made it's presence known in the ED saga the fans weren't fooled and the later two films remain enjoyable but less visceral and entertaining than the original. Too much comedy over creepiness and carnage. It's gotta be hardcore horror for me and i do like AOD as a standalone effort but as a third ED entry the movie sucks big time imo.
wayfarer likes this.
Old 19th October 2011, 01:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
The Evil Dead and Ash are one entity in my eyes, you can't separate them. Use modern technology to do the things the original filmmakers couldn't do.
I totally agree. Think Robert Englund think A Nightmare On Elm Street. Think Christopher Lee think Dracula. Think Bruce Campbell think TED. The actor may have played a variety of other roles since his horror heyday but he'll never escape from Ash's shadow.

I believe in EDII when Annie's father manifests himself in tormented form, Raimi and his crew originally wanted said spirit to travel within the cabin walls. Much like a similar sequence in The Frighteners. However, neither the film's budget or FX of the time could accommodate such a concept so the transparent paleface patriarch had to suffice.
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:09 AM
Cult Rookie

I really, genuinely was forcing myself to not pre-judge this and approach it with an open-mind, but no Ash!? Ash = Evil Dead.
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw13 View Post
I really, genuinely was forcing myself to not pre-judge this and approach it with an open-mind, but no Ash!? Ash = Evil Dead.
Evil Dead without Ash = Evil and Dead!
Old 22nd October 2011, 05:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Evil Dead without Ash = simply a new approach to the formula, whether good or bad has to be seen....
Old 28th October 2011, 10:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The latest news doesn't sound all that great; a cross between Night of the Demons and Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows - sorta.

My feeling is that Raimi has signed this thing over, a little like Carpenter did with The Fog. The ideas might have sounded good, but the execution could suck.

More details on this Evil Dead remake: Teens, Cabin in the woods and Drugs?! - Horror Movie News | Arrow in the Head

We've still got the original on Hi-Def, so no real harm can be done can it?

Like this? Share it using the links below!