Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2011, 04:32 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default Mother's Day (2010)

“AN EFFECTIVE CHILLER.” – EMPIRE.

Loosely based on Charles Kaufman’s 1980 Troma classic, Mother’s Day sees Rebecca De Mornay (Wedding Crashers; Lords Of Dogtown) heading a killer cast in a role that makes her psychotic character from “The Hand That Rocks The Cradle” look like Mother Theresa.

Produced by Brett Ratner (the Rush Hour trilogy; X-Men: The Last Stand; Red Dragon), directed by Darren Lynn Bousman (Saw II, III and IV) and starring De Mornay, Jaime King (My Bloody Valentine; The Spirit), Deborah Ann Woll (True Blood), Briana Evigan (Burning Bright; Sorority Row; Step Up 2: The Streets) and Shawn Ashmore (Frozen; Hatchet II; the X-Men trilogy), this nail-biting thriller has been described as “intense” (Dread Central) and “relentlessly efficient… a cracking film” (Eye For Film).

Following a disastrous bank robbery attempt that leaves one of their number critically wounded, three brothers head for their childhood home to take refuge until the dust settles. What they don’t know is their mother (De Mornay) recently lost possession of the house in a foreclosure and no longer lives there. Instead, they stumble across the new owners, a young couple, and their guests who are in the middle of birthday celebration. Seeing no alternative, the brothers take the partygoers hostage before contacting their mother to explain their dilemma. Willing to do anything to protect her offspring, mother arrives at the scene, along with her only daughter (Woll), and immediately takes control of the situation while masterminding a plan to help her family escape across the border from the US into Canada. Unfortunately for the hostages, mother’s plot requires some serious funding and she’s determined to get hold of it any way she can. So begins a long night of psychological terror in which loyalties are tested, secrets are revealed and sins are punished by a deeply disturbed woman with maternal instincts that can only be described as murderous.

Co-starring Lyriq Bent (Saw II, III and IV), Kandyse McClure (Battlestar Galactica), Patrick John Flueger (The 4400), Warren Kole (24) and Matt O’Leary (Sorority Row; Die Hard 4), Mother’s Day is both “an intense, horrifying experience” (Alan Jones, Radio Times) and “a gruesome pleasure” (The Sun).

Mother’s Day (cert. 18) will be released on DVD (£15.99), Blu-ray (£19.99) and iTunes (£9.99) by Studiocanal on 24th October 2011.

Special Features include: interviews with stars Rebecca De Mornay, Jaime King, Patrick Flueger, Warren Kole, Briana Evigan, Matt O’Leary, Shawn Ashmore and Lyriq Bent, producer Richard Saperstein, executive producers Lloyd Kaufman and Charles Kaufman and stunt coordinator Bobby King; B roll footage; trailer; 2.0 Stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital audio options; optional English subtitles for the hard of hearing.

Old 2nd October 2011, 06:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

But why call it MOTHER'S DAY when there's only a tenuous link with the original(which is a cult sleaziod classic) doesn't fill me with a need to see it. Doubt if there is even a hint of death by drain cleaner or tv bash, let alone a daft old bat living in the trees. So not for me I'm afraid.
Beyond72 and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Looking forward to Mother's Day.

Never seen the original, but this is actually a horror with an 18 rating, boasting a film star in De Mornay who plays psycho wonderfully well.

The fact that it is produced by the Kaufman brothers should also make it of interest.

Had this preordered for several weeks already.
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:28 PM
Active Cultist

Bit disappointed with the extras. Darren Lynn Bousman's films usually come with at least 1 commentary. I understand he's busy with 11.11.11 but its still disappointing. Good film though.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:09 AM
Blogs Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
But why call it MOTHER'S DAY when there's only a tenuous link with the original(which is a cult sleaziod classic) doesn't fill me with a need to see it. Doubt if there is even a hint of death by drain cleaner or tv bash, let alone a daft old bat living in the trees. So not for me I'm afraid.
Experienced horror fans will know this isn't a remake, although the central dynamic of the matriarchal family gone psycho remains intact but don't let marketing ideas put you off what is essentially a good home invasion rollercoaster ride horror thriller.

I think the film stands on it's own merits and it's a lot stronger than some of the other films that have borrowed classic, golden age exploitation titles to create new money spinners.

So unfortunately for fans of the original, No tree dwelling crones, but on the positive side, you do get a brace of psychos with nothing to lose, being beastly to some nice, innocent people.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

hmmm. i dont consider this to BE a horror film myself, you could say the same about The Desperate Hours or Fight for your Life then....tis nasty in places, but what 18 rated film isnt nowadays?? cest la vie. and i only vaguely remember (if at all) the original....DeMornay is good though...
Old 4th October 2011, 11:22 AM
Blogs Moderator

I tend to define horror by how horrible things are crossed with how sadistic the film is.

So I don't think Saving Private Ryan is a horror movie, although it's horrific, but I tend to lump these home invasion movies in when they get a bit nasty because they trade in the same fears of torture, entrapment and death as horror movies do.

But, you're right, in the general sense of things it's an horrific thriller rather than a horror thriller.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
I tend to define horror by how horrible things are crossed with how sadistic the film is.

So I don't think Saving Private Ryan is a horror movie, although it's horrific, but I tend to lump these home invasion movies in when they get a bit nasty because they trade in the same fears of torture, entrapment and death as horror movies do.

But, you're right, in the general sense of things it's an horrific thriller rather than a horror thriller.
thanks. im mean it isnt The Strangers is it? AAAnway il shut up....
Old 4th October 2011, 11:39 AM
Blogs Moderator

Just personal musings.

Just had a discussion with my girlfriend whose sat next to me as I write. Is Last House counted as a horror sometimes because Wes Craven made it? Would it be filed elsewhere if it were made by Michael Winner?

It could be location that makes it a horror movie. Once the sadists are in your house, it edges closer to primal fears for me. Then I think it's down to what the home invaders do to the victims. Panic Room isn't a horror movie because you never get the sense that any of the perps want to tear out fingernails with a pair of pliers. In Mother's Day the atmosphere is one of not knowing how far the criminals will take it. That's the horrible part I reckon.

But again, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Peter Neal and Demoncrat like this.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
Just personal musings.

Just had a discussion with my girlfriend whose sat next to me as I write. Is Last House counted as a horror sometimes because Wes Craven made it? Would it be filed elsewhere if it were made by Michael Winner?

It could be location that makes it a horror movie. Once the sadists are in your house, it edges closer to primal fears for me. Then I think it's down to what the home invaders do to the victims. Panic Room isn't a horror movie because you never get the sense that any of the perps want to tear out fingernails with a pair of pliers. In Mother's Day the atmosphere is one of not knowing how far the criminals will take it. That's the horrible part I reckon.

But again, it's all in the eye of the beholder.
or whether on of the perps is David Hess ....im thinking of HOTEOTP more here ahem, never considered LHOTL to be a horror film either, horrible yes but.... (eee what AM i like....whereas i consider that Hills IS horror IMO)

Like this? Share it using the links below!