Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Paranormal Activity 3 (2011) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/6966-paranormal-activity-3-2011-a.html)

nekromantik 21st July 2011 03:58 PM

Paranormal Activity 3

The first trailer for PA 3 has just been released!

Its a prequel....now the way they have set it up it dont look that good tbh from the trailer but part 2 was fun so will check this out. :)

Paranormal Activity 3

PaulD 21st July 2011 04:05 PM

Wha...? I thought PA2 was a prequel? :)

Hmm..the idea of doing it as an 80's camcorder job is vaguely interesting but at the same time I just think that enough is enough really. It seems a bit absurd to have these people's whole lives documented by the video footage of their friends and family. Seems odd to have the Catfish directors behiond the camera purely because they did a documentary feature. Could be interesting though we'll see.

Gojirosan 21st July 2011 04:10 PM

I wonder just how much milk they can squeeze out of this rather sickly, unimpressive cash cow?

trench 21st July 2011 05:05 PM

I thought PA2 was shockingly bad but I'll definitely give this a look. The central conceit, i.e what appears to be the reasoning behind the haunting (judging by the trailer at least) seems to be a little contrived to say the least.

nekromantik 21st July 2011 05:59 PM

yeah I hope its not all because of the "bloody mary" chant as that would be so lame!

kingofwitches666 21st July 2011 09:47 PM

The first one sucked. Never bothered with 2.

nekromantik 22nd July 2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 167838)
The first one sucked. Never bothered with 2.

:lol:
fair enough!
I disagree...it was not a remake or a crappy pg13 hollywood "horror" which was what was been shown in cinemas as of late. For what the movie was, a low budget flick made by a guy and his mates, it was very good and was creepy! Now yes its not scary BUT no movie for me since the exorcist has been scary. I can only be creeped out by horror so I dont go in expecting to be scared as then I will start to not like much! It was very effective and had a lot of atmosphere. I give props to Oren Pelli!

The sequel was pretty good too, it kept the atmosphere but amped up the ghost activity.

Tombsy666 22nd July 2011 10:56 AM

Well to be honest i'm a big fan of ghost movies & while reaction to these has been somewhat mixed, i'm going to say that i actually enjoyed paranormal activity 1 & 2 (own em on blu ray) i found them quite atmospheric & spooky, this is a refreshing change from the crap the hollywood business machine tends to churn out these day's labelled as HORROR, so am looking forward to part 3 :clap:

Demoncrat 22nd July 2011 11:30 AM

arse! cant see trailer (will look elsewhere)...as always il defend these types of films...and as always il plug Noroi (The Curse) ONE mair time and a spanish(?) ting called Atrocious (ITS NOT a spoof)...trailers

REWIND

just seen PA3 trailer...hmmm.

‪Atrocious - Official Trailer [HD]‬‏ - YouTube

‪Noroi the curse trailer‬‏ - YouTube

trench 22nd July 2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 167884)
arse! cant see trailer (will look elsewhere)...as always il defend these types of films...and as always il plug Noroi (The Curse) ONE mair time and a spanish(?) ting called Atrocious (ITS NOT a spoof)...trailers

REWIND

just seen PA3 trailer...hmmm.

‪Atrocious - Official Trailer [HD]‬‏ - YouTube

‪Noroi the curse trailer‬‏ - YouTube

I wish I could give you more than one "like", simply for mentioning Noroi.

As for Paranormal Activity, I mentioned above that I'm not particularly fond of the second, but I love the first movie. I do hate the theatrical "leave-it-open-for-a-sequel" ending, much prefer the two original endings.

nekromantik 22nd July 2011 07:01 PM

Atrocious is been shown at FrightFest but I can only go for 1 day so will miss it!
It does look like it could be interesting.

Demoncrat 25th July 2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 167994)
Atrocious is been shown at FrightFest but I can only go for 1 day so will miss it!
It does look like it could be interesting.

shame!! i just "went" for the trailer more than Grave Encounters etc...but Noroi was well worth the wait etc....and all the other spanish genre things ive seen i like so fingers crossed!!

Rassilon 11th October 2011 01:03 PM

Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)

Who else is looking forward to this film. I loved the first one and thought the second was good too. Saw the trailer for the 3rd film last night and it was very creepy in a Insidious sort of way. I hope it's as scary as Insidious and the story looks interesting set as a prequel. I'm glad the wave of commerical horror has shifted from Saw and Hostel gorefests to fright films it might make some pretty decent films come out, of course it will also open the doors for lots of bad ones.

wayfarer 11th October 2011 01:20 PM

I'm not a fan of these movies. They're no scarier than those viral emails that get you to stare at something for a while before a scary face appears and a huge sound shrieks through the speakers. The best thing about the first was the actress whose generous rack distracted me whenever she was on screen.
That said, the second one had some interesting ideas on expanding the mythos. I reckon I'll see the third one at some point, just for the hell of it.

Rik 11th October 2011 02:32 PM

I'm not particularly a fan but my wife is so no doubt I'll be seeing this on the day of release. I did enjoy the first 2, just didn't think they were scary at all

Violence is Italian Art

PaulD 11th October 2011 03:48 PM

It seems to stretch plausibility a little that when the 2 sisters werre young this was all documented on camers, jus tlike it was when they both grow up. I'm not sure I'll be able to get past that somehow to be honest

Rassilon 11th October 2011 03:54 PM

Come on, we got passed Jason coming back ten times....no wait 11. And we got passed how the killer from saw had a very busy life before dying...or did we?

PaulD 11th October 2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 189122)
Come on, we got passed Jason coming back ten times....no wait 11. And we got passed how the killer from saw had a very busy life before dying...or did we?

Haha I get your point but the crappy reasons for Jason coming back are part of the appeal and they're grounded in the context of the supernatural. The Paranormal Activity thing is the same as Saw as far as I'm concerned, stretching plausibility to breaking point for the sake of keeping a franchise alive and presenting ideas which oculd never have been part of the filmaker's original intention.

nekromantik 11th October 2011 05:09 PM

reviews for 3rd have been good so far.
people that hated first 2 liked it!

Rassilon 11th October 2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 189146)
reviews for 3rd have been good so far.
people that hated first 2 liked it!

I get the feeling it will follow isidious for scares. The 2nd one wasn't as great as first. I like the franchise. I feel they could take it anywhere. It scared me, the first one as I didn't know what it was and was really surprised. I loved it. I think the hand held camera thing works well with PA and REC. I just like this form of cinema. When its good you feel the isolation more and the terror, when its bad its just most haunted.

Demoncrat 12th October 2011 10:14 AM

loved the 1st (with the PROPER ending, ahem), hence when i saw the 2nd was v confused. wasnt until i saw official PA (with a substandard ending as far as im concerned) that 2nd "made sense". thought that the trailer for 3rd was at most meh... and youve never seen Youve Been Framed? most of that footage is from the 80s/90s still so its nae stretching plausability THAT far that they wouldve been filming the girls....AAAAnyway, didnt theink much of the trailer, am holding out for the asian remake (for once, and why not?) but then i liked The Wig....sue me:laugh::laugh:

Splatterdragon73 17th October 2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 189103)
I'm not a fan of these movies. The best thing about the first was the actress whose generous rack distracted me whenever she was on screen.

I agree and yours truly turned off the first film before the half hour mark. Totally devoid of scares and boring imo. Far more apt viewing for those fans frightened by the likes of The Blair Witch Project and all other 'wobblycam' hand-held brand of horror. However, like yourself i do recall PA's female lead being somewhat easy on the eye, though.;)

Argentofan 22nd October 2011 07:30 PM

Really disappointed with this, the trailer made the movie look a lot better than it is (a lot of the scenes from the trailer were not in the final film). Low on good scares and a certain addition to the story line ruined it for me I'm afraid.

nekromantik 22nd October 2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 192157)
Really disappointed with this, the trailer made the movie look a lot better than it is (a lot of the scenes from the trailer were not in the final film). Low on good scares and a certain addition to the story line ruined it for me I'm afraid.

first bad review I have heard about it so far.
I knew about the trailer having scenes not in the final cut but they might get put on the blu-ray release.

Im seeing this either tomorrow or tuesday.

PaulD 22nd October 2011 09:27 PM

I'm going to avoid this thread from now on - going to see this on Tuesday, shall be revisiting parts 1 and 2 in the days before. Despite previous misgivings I am quite looking forward to it

Argentofan 22nd October 2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 192162)
first bad review I have heard about it so far.
I knew about the trailer having scenes not in the final cut but they might get put on the blu-ray release.

Im seeing this either tomorrow or tuesday.

I was expecting the scenes in the trailer to not be in the movie cause it happened for number 2, but in my opinion the scenes in the trailer were scarier than scenes they chose to put in the film.

sjconstable 22nd October 2011 10:15 PM

I rate it 2.5/5. It relied too much on cheap jump-scares which I am immune to, the rest of the audience all jumped out of their seats every time though. It started getting better at the end, but then ended.

nekromantik 22nd October 2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 192181)
I was expecting the scenes in the trailer to not be in the movie cause it happened for number 2, but in my opinion the scenes in the trailer were scarier than scenes they chose to put in the film.

The trailer is awesome for it no doubt.
First 2 flicks they released "unrated" versions for home video so I hope all the scenes in the trailer get put back.

sjconstable 22nd October 2011 10:47 PM

I've just watched the trailer and that is ridiculous, how can that not be classed as false advertising? I know it's fairly normal for snippets in trailers to not be present in the final film, but this is on another level.

J.R. 25th October 2011 09:49 AM

Here is my review: Paranormal Activity 3

nekromantik 27th October 2011 01:09 AM

saw this today and thought it was great.
it had more charcter development then part 2 and it featured something different then the first two. Yes there was jump scares like the part 2 but it didnt spoil it.
I would loved it if the trailer scenes were included but I hope they all make it into the home video release.

Rassilon 27th October 2011 08:46 AM

I'm dying to see this film. I loved the first two. Sometimes when horror becomes so popular many fans turn away from it. Either way I can't wait. Perhaps the clips will make it too the BD release, but it isn't the first time a trailer has not contained what's the film. Rec trailer had the sound altered in cinema's to make the kid scream more demonic. The orginal vamp trailer saw Chris Makepeace taking to the camera about the night.

Rik 27th October 2011 01:51 PM

Not seen it yet but my 15 year old Sister-in-law has and couldn't sleep for 2 nights after!

Sometimes, dead is better

WillCarter 2nd November 2011 11:52 PM

Saw this tonight and I have to say it's taken the story into a direction I wasn't expecting. However at this point I'm not entirely sure if it's a direction the story really needed to take. At the moment the third edition has brought up more questions before anything that has been left open from the previous films has been answered. I'm looking forward to the inevitable Fourth film but I am worried that this franchise is just going to become a never ending series of tangents and dead ends.

I'll give it a 6/10.