Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Maniac Remake 2012 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/7130-maniac-remake-2012-a.html)

Paul@TheOverlook 27th October 2012 09:10 AM

This has had some very good word of mouth so I'm quite intrigued now.

Rik 27th October 2012 09:59 AM

It does look good but I suspect it will be far more polished than the original so may lose some of its impact, I'll definitely check it out

it'smebilly 9th January 2013 10:15 PM

Just seen on twitter, a retweet from fright fest that this has been passed uncut. It's not on the BBFC website yet but this is great news as there was talk of potential censorship problems with this one.

I'm really intrigued by this one, it's had some good early reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Susan Foreman 2nd February 2013 02:01 PM

Passed uncut for cinema release, with an 18 certificate!

MANIAC | British Board of Film Classification

Rik 2nd February 2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 318474)
Passed uncut for cinema release, with an 18 certificate!

MANIAC | British Board of Film Classification

Great news, looking forward to checking it out

Justin101 2nd February 2013 02:15 PM

Can't wait to see this, watched the opening scene when it was uploaded on YouTube last month and it was pretty tense.

Hawkmonger 2nd February 2013 05:53 PM

This was a film always destined for a remake, and thank god it look's to be a winner. Thingers crossed (and testicles to, I bet my life this will be at least passable).:lol:

gag 3rd February 2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 200920)
I've actually seen it three times and it got worse with each viewing.

Ill second that i didnt rate it either got extremely bored and at one point in his bedroom i was more fascinated at seing what junk he got lying round in it than watching the actualy film,

Justin101 21st February 2013 12:24 PM

For those in doubt Elijah can do scary - this is terrifying!

Elijah Wood Dancey Dance - YouTube

:lol:

nekromantik 21st February 2013 05:11 PM

Im hoping to catch this in the cinemas!
Meant to be amazing!

I also doubted Elija but trailers seem to prove me wrong. Same thing with the upcomging Bates Motel and Freddie Highmore as Norman Bates!

SilverGunnar Hansen 21st February 2013 06:49 PM

I'd lower expectations slightly - it's amazing technically and very true to the original's spirit from what I've been told, but it will leave alot of people cold and it is fundamentally kinda silly and shallow. The violence is very visceral but it's nothing you've not seen before, it's more the way you're seeing it.

Having said that, I'll def go again at cinema - hopefully people won't whoop and cheer at every bit of violence like the crowd at Frightfest did, kinda ruined the menacing atmosphere.

Zann 3rd March 2013 08:02 PM

I'm looking forward to this but wonder how widely it'll be distributed and more to the point how far I'll have to travel to a Cinema showing it:mmph:

jiraffejustin 7th March 2013 02:58 AM

I am tremendously excited for this film, if I'm being honest. Elijah Wood is a fantastic actor that has proven his range (Lord of the Rings, Sin City, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Wilfred,) and I expect this to be at the very least extremely interesting.

antmumford 7th March 2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 325266)
I'm looking forward to this but wonder how widely it'll be distributed and more to the point how far I'll have to travel to a Cinema showing it:mmph:

Your answer lies on the latest facebook post by the official Maniac page which will also be updated Monday :)

Zann 7th March 2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 326122)
Your answer lies on the latest facebook post by the official Maniac page which will also be updated Monday :)

Great! Cheers :happy:

Zann 7th March 2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 326122)

Hey could you post a link? I don't Twitter or Facebook and a diligent Google search revealed nothing :confused:

antmumford 7th March 2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 326125)
Hey could you post a link? I don't Twitter or Facebook and a diligent Google search revealed nothing :confused:

No worries, here you go mate :)

We can confirm that the following sites will be screening MANIAC from MARCH 15th (More to follow)

Prince Charles Cinema, Leicetser Sq

Vue:

Acton

Islington

Finchley Rd

Shepherds Bush

Croydon Purley Way

Romford

Stratford Westfield

Staines

Reading

Portsmouth

Bristol Cribbs

Swansea

Plymouth

Newcastle Under Lyme

Northampton

Birmingham

Cheshire Oaks

Leeds Light

Edinburgh Omni

Showcase:

Dudley

Leeds

Teeside

Glasgow East

Newham

Coventry

Bristol (showcase not DeLux)

Cineworld:

Glasgow Renfrew St

Sheffield

Enfield

Milton Keynes

Wolverhampton

Castleford

Crawley

Greenwich O2

Ashton

Dublin

Aberdeen

Bolton

Cardiff

Wandsworth

Odeon:

Stoke on Trent

Manchester Printworks

Kingston

Birmingham Broadway Plaza

Liverpool One

Marble Arch - tbc

The full line up will be finalised on Tuesday March 12th - check back in then

keirarts 7th March 2013 11:18 AM

would also point out Grimm up north are screening it tonight at the DANCEHOUSE in manchester in a double-bill. Tragically I can't make it as I have to sign on this afternoon and get lectured on how to find work (despite the fact I can prove i'm getting the damnned interviews) with an advisor. :mmph: Still if vue screen it in lancaster i'll head up to watch it. Hopefully I'll be either working for Screwfix or greggs by then (my next two interviews.)

Rik 7th March 2013 01:11 PM

Nearest one for me is Vue in Leeds, might see if I can persuade my Horror loving bass player to go watch it

Slippery Jack 7th March 2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 326165)
Hopefully I'll be either working for Screwfix or greggs by then (my next two interviews.)

If it's the latter, can you get me a good deal on cheese & bean bakes. I luvs them :nod: . . .

keirarts 7th March 2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 326211)
If it's the latter, can you get me a good deal on cheese & bean bakes. I luvs them :nod: . . .

hopefully.

just need to be careful not to put on too much weight!

Susan Foreman 7th March 2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 326165)
Hopefully I'll be either working for Screwfix or greggs by then (my next two interviews.)

We need some good screws for the bathroom and bedroom

Can you recommend anything?

keirarts 7th March 2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 326213)
We need some good screws for the bathroom and bedroom

Can you recommend anything?

Dont get them from poundland?

:pound:

keirarts 7th March 2013 01:37 PM

Seriously though, I'm no DIY enthusiast, though I do believe i'm a good screw in the bedroom...

:pound:

Sorry

Slippery Jack 7th March 2013 01:44 PM

:rolleyes:

I held back from making my own screw gag just then . . .

PaulD 7th March 2013 01:59 PM

I'm betting at nailing women...

le sigh

Susan Foreman 7th March 2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 326220)
I'm betting at nailing women...

le sigh

Ala 'The Toolbox Murders'?

Hawkmonger 8th March 2013 07:27 AM

You could say this thread is....screwed up.

'YYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!'

jiraffejustin 8th March 2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 326332)
You could say this thread is....screwed up.

'YYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!'

You could say that you....nailed it.

Slippery Jack 8th March 2013 08:30 AM

Well it's a brave role for Elijah WOOD. I just hope it isn't the final NAIL in his career :doh: . . .

antmumford 8th March 2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 326347)
Well it's a brave role for Elijah WOOD. I just hope it isn't the final NAIL in his career :doh: . . .

It's a brave but smart career move I think, only time will tell though. We'll have to keep our eyes and ears as peeled as the ladies scalps to know for sure

Justin101 8th March 2013 10:15 AM

Showing at my local Odeon, I might brave the great unwashed and venture out of the house :lol:

PaulD 8th March 2013 10:29 AM

Gah no north east showings as of yet which is odd since we have two Odeons and an Empire.

Am I right in thinking most of the film is shot from Wood's POV?

Demoncrat 8th March 2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 326385)
Gah no north east showings as of yet which is odd since we have two Odeons and an Empire.

So I hear, wonder if it'l end like the Smack My Bitch Up video?? Tee hee.

Slippery Jack 8th March 2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 326385)

The whole film I think. Like Peep Show without the laughs . . .

antmumford 8th March 2013 01:03 PM

It's managed to hold a complete 100% rating on rottentomatoes at the mo. The only film out this month that's got it. There's been some brilliantly rave reviews so I can't wait to see it. Not one to take Kelly to though, may have to go on my own.

it'smebilly 19th March 2013 11:41 PM

I just got back from seeing this. It's a very good remake and highly recommended.

The cinema was empty unfortunately, so might be best to catch it pronto if you're interested in a very stylish, graphic and edgy modern horror film. Elijah Wood is great too. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

keirarts 20th March 2013 07:40 AM

No trace of MANIAC locally, :mmph: Really want to see it as well.

On a side note, didn't get the screwfix gig, though with my knowledge of DIY/Tools thats probably a good thing!

Have applied this morning to work security at the local job centre!!!! Hope they give hazard pay!

Hawkmonger 20th March 2013 07:47 AM

I saw it on Friday and it's a cracking little remake. It actualy does hold a candle to the opriginal paying both homage, sticking true to it and all the while spining it's own yarn. The gold standard for how to do a remake/ reboot IMHO. Reccomended.:nod:

robertzombie 21st March 2013 06:47 PM

It was all right...