Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Maniac Remake 2012 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/7130-maniac-remake-2012-a.html)

Paul@TheOverlook 6th November 2011 09:31 PM

This news is hilarious! The original is an exploitation classic.

pedromonkey 6th November 2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 195759)
So... who we gonna cast instead?

I was thinking Doug Hutchinson, he's great in sweaty, creepy, psycho roles (The X Files, Green Mile...) - though I recently remember reading he has turned into some kind of car crash reality tv star or something :tsk: . . .

Or maybe Joey Pants! I haven't seen him in anything in ages (probably not since The Sopranos)!

Doug Hutchinson was recently in the final season of Lost and in Punisher War Zone, He would make a great Psycho, he reminds me of Brad Dourif.

Joey Pants is the man, he can play sleazy very well but psychotic im not sure. For me if they want a young guy playing Frank who has the right intensity then i would have gone for Ben Foster or Ryan Gosling. At least they don't look exactly like they did in 1994.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th November 2011 10:12 PM

Edward Norton would be a good star name for the role.

Surprised its not Nic Cage though, he seems to do any old shit nowadays.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th November 2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 195769)
I died inside when I sat through the original MANIAC. A terrible film. The remake can only be an improvement imo.

Such blasphemy, young Peter. :tsk: :tongue1:

Demoncrat 7th November 2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 195763)
Nah, there's only so many times you can die inside with all these remakes. I think I was done around the time of The Wicker Man. The novelty of being outraged has long worn off - now it's a minor shrug and carry on with my business . . .

saw this on the cover of the Daily Record....Greg Hemphill (Jack in Still Game etc) to star as Lord Summerisle in a musical version of TWM (...yes, i know it IS a musical ish....) as i say all bets are off!

Maniac is a great film, far more unsettling than i ever thought it would be....see, the thing is its not compulsory to watch these things thank christ...

and Wood? please. anyone seen Green Street?? sit through this shit and tell me he can act.

Splatterdragon73 12th November 2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 195689)
understandable that people liked him in Sin City, but he still looks like a seven year old and has no where near the sleaze and creepiness of Joe Spinell.

Agreed and i really can't see Wood holding his own compared to Spinell. The former's too much of a 'pretty boy' type imo and not my kind of actor at all.:tsk:

Peter Neal 20th November 2011 07:51 AM

I'm actually looking quite forward to this, not only because "Maniac" is one of my all time faves :nod:, but because of the "French Connection" which should ensure that this doesn't drift into too tame and sanitised territory- even though we shouldn't expect quite the same amount of splattery delights as offered in the original, which doesn't neccesarily have to be such a bad thing, if the atmosphere is right. :pop2:

@Pete: I really get a feeling you should watch the masterpiece that is "Maniac" very closely again................................

PaulD 30th November 2011 10:13 AM

First look at Elijah Wood's Maniac | TotalFilm.com

Demoncrat 30th November 2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 200885)

HMMM.

Daemonia 30th November 2011 11:58 AM

Have you seen Edward Furlong lately? He looks rough as **** and looks decidedly sleazy and creepy, he'd be ideal for this role.

But Elijah Wood? Hardly an intimidating figure of a man. Still, let's wait and see how it turns out. The original is, as Paul said, an exploitation classic. Not sure why Lustig has greenlighted this, but I hope that it means that if he gets a sizeable cut of the profits that it may allow Blue Underground to purchase some new titles and remaster some older ones. :nod:

Just think, Pete, this film you hate might indirectly be responsible for getting some Franco on BD. ;)