Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2011, 10:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

This news is hilarious! The original is an exploitation classic.
Old 6th November 2011, 11:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
So... who we gonna cast instead?

I was thinking Doug Hutchinson, he's great in sweaty, creepy, psycho roles (The X Files, Green Mile...) - though I recently remember reading he has turned into some kind of car crash reality tv star or something . . .

Or maybe Joey Pants! I haven't seen him in anything in ages (probably not since The Sopranos)!
Doug Hutchinson was recently in the final season of Lost and in Punisher War Zone, He would make a great Psycho, he reminds me of Brad Dourif.

Joey Pants is the man, he can play sleazy very well but psychotic im not sure. For me if they want a young guy playing Frank who has the right intensity then i would have gone for Ben Foster or Ryan Gosling. At least they don't look exactly like they did in 1994.
Old 6th November 2011, 11:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Edward Norton would be a good star name for the role.

Surprised its not Nic Cage though, he seems to do any old shit nowadays.
Old 7th November 2011, 08:24 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I died inside when I sat through the original MANIAC. A terrible film. The remake can only be an improvement imo.
Such blasphemy, young Peter.
Peter Neal, Daemonia and Pete like this.
Old 7th November 2011, 01:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Nah, there's only so many times you can die inside with all these remakes. I think I was done around the time of The Wicker Man. The novelty of being outraged has long worn off - now it's a minor shrug and carry on with my business . . .
saw this on the cover of the Daily Record....Greg Hemphill (Jack in Still Game etc) to star as Lord Summerisle in a musical version of TWM (...yes, i know it IS a musical ish....) as i say all bets are off!

Maniac is a great film, far more unsettling than i ever thought it would be....see, the thing is its not compulsory to watch these things thank christ...

and Wood? please. anyone seen Green Street?? sit through this shit and tell me he can act.
Old 12th November 2011, 10:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
understandable that people liked him in Sin City, but he still looks like a seven year old and has no where near the sleaze and creepiness of Joe Spinell.
Agreed and i really can't see Wood holding his own compared to Spinell. The former's too much of a 'pretty boy' type imo and not my kind of actor at all.
Old 20th November 2011, 08:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm actually looking quite forward to this, not only because "Maniac" is one of my all time faves , but because of the "French Connection" which should ensure that this doesn't drift into too tame and sanitised territory- even though we shouldn't expect quite the same amount of splattery delights as offered in the original, which doesn't neccesarily have to be such a bad thing, if the atmosphere is right.

@Pete: I really get a feeling you should watch the masterpiece that is "Maniac" very closely again................................
Old 30th November 2011, 11:13 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

First look at Elijah Wood's Maniac | TotalFilm.com
Old 30th November 2011, 11:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
HMMM.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th November 2011, 12:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Have you seen Edward Furlong lately? He looks rough as **** and looks decidedly sleazy and creepy, he'd be ideal for this role.

But Elijah Wood? Hardly an intimidating figure of a man. Still, let's wait and see how it turns out. The original is, as Paul said, an exploitation classic. Not sure why Lustig has greenlighted this, but I hope that it means that if he gets a sizeable cut of the profits that it may allow Blue Underground to purchase some new titles and remaster some older ones.

Just think, Pete, this film you hate might indirectly be responsible for getting some Franco on BD.

Like this? Share it using the links below!