Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By iluvdvds@Cult Labs
  • 2 Post By iluvdvds@Cult Labs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2012, 12:40 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default Urban Explorers (2011)

URBAN EXPLORERS

“AN EPIC NIGHT… ‘THE DESCENT’ MEETS ‘CREEP’” – FRIGHTFEST.

The rapidly growing global phenomenon of urban exploration (also known as Urbex or UE), in which thrill-seeking enthusiasts explore the normally unseen or off-limits areas of towns, cities and industrial facilities, provides the unique background for director Andy Fetscher’s chilling survival-horror shocker, Urban Explorers, coming to DVD and Blu-ray on 5th March 2012.

The winner of the Best Picture, Best Actor (Klaus Stiglmeier), Best Editing and Best Make-Up awards at LA’s prestigious Screamfest Horror Film Festival in 2011, Urban Explorers is a slickly shot, tautly scripted and expertly directed horror treat, full of suspense, nightmarish situations and more than a little gore.

Looking for something different away from the usual well-beaten tourist trails of metropolitan Berlin, four young people – partners Denis (Nick Eversman) and Lucia (Nathalie Kelley), plus recently acquainted Marie (Catherine de Lean) and Juna (Brenda Koo) – hire local guide Kris (Max Riemelt) to take them on a tour with a guaranteed surprise. Kris leads the group into the city’s dark and dank subterranean maze of wartime escape tunnels and underground fortifications on a rare, and illegal, trip to visit the legendary, graffiti-laden and now walled-up Nazi war rooms rarely seen by anyone since the end of World War II.

The trip takes an initial bad turn when the group encounters a pair of confrontational neo-Nazis and their dogs prowling around, but things get much worse when an unfortunate accident leaves Kris immobile and desperately in need of medical attention. Marie and Juna set off to find help, leaving Denis and Lucia to stay behind and look after Kris. The unexpected arrival of a bedraggled looking man, Armin (Klaus Stiglmeier), provides a ray of hope. A former East German border guard and now a self-appointed “guardian” of the tunnels, Armin takes them to his base with the promise of safety and a phone call for help. However, it soon becomes apparent that Denis and Lucia have just made the biggest mistake of their young lives.

Taking the viewer on a fascinating and frightening trip into an unseen underground world, the kind of which that secretly exists beneath most vibrant cities, Urban Explorers unearths the hidden dangers and fears that lurk not only in the shadows of these unexposed landscapes but also in the darkest recesses of the mind.

Urban Explorers (cert. 18) will be released on DVD (£15.99) and Blu-ray (£19.99) by Anchor Bay Entertainment on 5th March 2012.
Old 30th January 2012, 01:05 PM
Active Cultist

Looks very interesting, rather reminiscent of After which is set under Moscow.
Old 30th January 2012, 01:07 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I managed to catch this film at FrightFest (I'm not sure, but it may have been a UK premiere) and this was easily the top best three films I saw. Fantastic stuff - very brutal and really does get the adrenaline juices flowing! Awesome stuff!
nekromantik likes this.
Old 30th January 2012, 01:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
I managed to catch this film at FrightFest (I'm not sure, but it may have been a UK premiere) and this was easily the top best three films I saw. Fantastic stuff - very brutal and really does get the adrenaline juices flowing! Awesome stuff!
It was very good indeed! Shame about the subtitle cock up! :lol
I preferred Kidnapped though as my fav of FF as it was more realistic setting.
It was brutal and harsh and unforgiving!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 30th January 2012, 01:45 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I are interest.

Old 30th January 2012, 02:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I hope its better than the tedious Stag Night.
Old 30th January 2012, 03:23 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
It was very good indeed! Shame about the subtitle cock up! :lol
I preferred Kidnapped though as my fav of FF as it was more realistic setting.
It was brutal and harsh and unforgiving!
I can't even remember that! Seems like ages ago!

It's muuuch better than Stag Night, Dem. I really does get you pumped up and rooting for the victim (rather than the villian like most horrors seem to do unintentionally!) I haven't felt that way probably since I first saw the Hills Have Eyes remake and was rooting like mad for them to kick some mutant ass!
Old 30th January 2012, 03:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
I can't even remember that! Seems like ages ago!

It's muuuch better than Stag Night, Dem. I really does get you pumped up and rooting for the victim (rather than the villian like most horrors seem to do unintentionally!) I haven't felt that way probably since I first saw the Hills Have Eyes remake and was rooting like mad for them to kick some mutant ass!
I am DISAPPOINT!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 5th March 2012, 01:30 PM
Blogs Moderator

URBAN EXPLORERS is out today on UK DVD and Blu-ray.

Check out this post on the fanhub to find out how you can win a free copy, courtesy of the Anchor Bay Facebook fan page:

URBAN EXPLORERS: OUT NOW! - Urban Explorers Official UK Hubsite - Cult Laboratories

Or see the details below. Click the image to go to Anchor Bay on Facebook:

Like this? Share it using the links below!