Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Nicholas Winding-Refn to Direct Maniac Cop Prequel? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/8448-nicholas-winding-refn-direct-maniac-cop-prequel.html)

PaulD 18th April 2012 01:36 PM

Nicholas Winding-Refn to Direct Maniac Cop Prequel?

Nicolas Winding Refn May Direct MANIAC COP Prequel

Good to see Larry Cohen's on board for this if it goes ahead. What are people's thoughts on this?

edit: should have put a question mark at the end of the title really since it's not confirmed. Damn. If a mod could amend it that'd be good just to avoid confusion

PaulD 18th April 2012 01:42 PM

Winding Refn Producing New Maniac Cop?! | Movie News | Empire

This Empire story suggests he's only on board as a producer. Still, a Maniac Cop prequel could have some potential regardless I think.

TJ Doc 18th April 2012 03:15 PM

Ha ha AWESOME. :dance:

Christ, it's probably ages away, but I'm looking forward to it!

Daemonia 16th May 2012 09:51 AM

A Maniac Cop prequel? You mean, before he was a maniac? How interesting can that be? If it's about how he was set up and so forth, then it can only be played as a straight police thriller, surely?

Paul@TheOverlook 16th May 2012 10:42 AM

NRW is a big fan of genre films so I'd imagine his involvement would mean that this will be well worth a watch :)

Daemonia 16th May 2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 242435)
NRW is a big fan of genre films so I'd imagine his involvement would mean that this will be well worth a watch :)

I do love Refn's work, but I'm not sure how you would go about a prequel to Maniac Cop. A prequel would imply that it's what happened to him before he became a maniac, therefore kind of nullifying the whole concept of a 'maniac' cop. But, I keep an open mind and we'll have to see how it turns out. But a Maniac Cop film without a maniac cop just ain't the same...

After all, the premise of the original film was that he was an innocent cop framed and is back for revenge.

Paul@TheOverlook 16th May 2012 12:52 PM

I reckon, and I'm only speculating, that the word "prequel" is being used very liberally here. It's more than likely the film will be an origin story in which we see what it was that pushed him over the edge and the start of the onslaught that followed. It has all the ingredients for a great revenge film.

Slippery Jack 16th May 2012 12:55 PM

Yeah, Bill Lustig and Refn have been in cahoots for ages - they did the commentary together on the Pusher dvd (think Lustig distributed the film or something?). Whatever Refn does next is fine by me. The guy's on fire at the moment . . .

wayfarer 16th May 2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 242474)
Yeah, Bill Lustig and Refn have been in cahoots for ages - they did the commentary together on the Pusher dvd (think Lustig distributed the film or something?). Whatever Refn does next is fine by me. The guy's on fire at the moment . . .

Agreed, although I'd prefer a sequel to Drive. One has been written.

Slippery Jack 16th May 2012 07:46 PM

Hmmm dunno about that. Don't think Drive needs a sequel. It would probably just be a rehash of the original with a new set of gangsters . . .