Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   A Night In The Woods (2011) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/9321-night-woods-2011-a.html)

James Morton 16th September 2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 266618)
Oof! That's shockingly derivitive of Blair Witch, the trailer makes it look like blatant plagiarism! They even have the scene with the local old folk discussing the spooky local legend :doh: Would've been more interested if it wasn't a 'found footage', the production values look quite decent . . .

haven't seen ANITW but it has to be better the overrated BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Rik 16th September 2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 273808)
haven't seen ANITW but it has to be better the overrated BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

I like Blair Witch, but it was certainly better on the big screen, definitely more effective

James Morton 16th September 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 273823)
I like Blair Witch, but it was certainly better on the big screen, definitely more effective

i saw it at a cinema when first released
waste of money

Rik 16th September 2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 273826)
i saw it at a cinema when first released
waste of money

I watched it for nowt, my old company used to do all the electrics on the Virgin Cinemas, so I watched it while eating my dinner one day, basically in an empty cinema seeing as it was a test screening

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 06:03 PM

I luv the Blair Witch Project! Admittedly, it's a one-watch film but it definitely got me terrified when I saw it. I watched it on DVD, alone in my room - I think that would've been much better than the cinema, personally, as seeing it in the cinema kind of goes against what made the film so believable and ultimately scary.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 273839)
I luv the Blair Witch Project! Admittedly, it's a one-watch film but it definitely got me terrified when I saw it. I watched it on DVD, alone in my room - I think that would've been much better than the cinema, personally, as seeing it in the cinema kind of goes against what made the film so believable and ultimately scary.

I watched the documentary then the film straight after in a pitch black room and i really enjoyed it. The doc got me in the mood for it. Very creepy in places.

As teens we always used to camp out in fields and woods so things that go rustle in the dark always work with me.

Slippery Jack 16th September 2012 08:50 PM

Yeah I bought into the whole Blair Witch hype at the etime. Loved that faux documentary they made going into the backstory, and I still have a comic book that details the history! Superb film, and imo holds up on the small screen - great trio of performances, almost more a dramatic tragedy than horror . . . !

Daemonia 16th September 2012 11:11 PM

My hatred of BWP is legendary, so I'll keep off this thread.... :lol:

Vampix 17th September 2012 10:36 AM

I personally think BWP would have worked better for me if I'd actually caught a glimpse of something terrifying lurking in the woods, but you didn't. :rolleyes:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th September 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 273909)
I personally think BWP would have worked better for me if I'd actually caught a glimpse of something terrifying lurking in the woods, but you didn't. :rolleyes:

I think that is what divides people about that film so much. Personally, the fact you don't see whatever it is makes it all the more terrifying for me. It demands you to use your imagination which can often be much scarier than anything put on the screen. The same is true with Paranormal Activity. It also avoids the problem of having such a great build up and then it being completely ruined by some stupid looking monster.