Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   A Night In The Woods (2011) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/9321-night-woods-2011-a.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th August 2012 10:02 AM

A Night In The Woods (2011)

A NIGHT IN THE WOODS

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...nightwoods.gif

'A FRESH TERRIFYING NEW FEAR LURKS IN THE WOODS' 4*
Dean Boor, Shock Horror.

An impressive horror/psychological thriller hybrid that pushes all the right fright buttons from the award-winning director of acclaimed indie Brit-flick “South West 9”.

Key talent:

Directed by Richard Parry (South West 9), starring US indie star Scoot McNairy (Monsters; In Search Of A Midnight Kiss), promising Australian actress Anna Skellern (Siren; The Descent: Part 2) and rising British actor Andrew Hawley (Snow White And The Huntsman; Wuthering Heights), and featuring impressive camera work by cinematographer Simon Dennis (who recently completed shooting the forthcoming big-screen adaptation of “The Sweeney” for director Nick Love).

Synopsis:

On what is intended to be a fun camping trip to investigate and to chill in the atmosphere of the legendary haunted past of Dartmoor’s Wistman’s Woods, Brody, his girlfriend Kerry and her cousin Leo very soon find themselves mysteriously ill at ease both with their surroundings and their companions. Bad moods and minor disagreements rapidly lead to feelings of severe paranoia, sexual tension, fear and, eventually, violence between the three friends, a situation that worsens as the evening draws in. At first, they suspect the conflicts are simply the result of being thrown together in the ancient, eerie surroundings, but as night closes upon them each begins to wonder if darker forces are at work.

We like it because:

Director Richard Parry effectively takes the “Blair Witch Project” template and reinvents it for a new generation by injecting it with a distinctive British feel and by brilliantly employing the excellent camerawork of Simon Dennis to add a goosebump-raising visual style that puts the viewer right in the midst of the terror.
[B][U]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4izXz765iA

A Night in the Woods opens at selected UK cinemas on 7th September 2012 and will be available on DVD and download on 10th September 2012.

Demoncrat 17th August 2012 10:21 AM

Duly noted.

Slippery Jack 17th August 2012 10:32 AM

Oof! That's shockingly derivitive of Blair Witch, the trailer makes it look like blatant plagiarism! They even have the scene with the local old folk discussing the spooky local legend :doh: Would've been more interested if it wasn't a 'found footage', the production values look quite decent . . .

Sam@Cult Labs 22nd August 2012 06:54 PM

A tribute to Wilderness Horror, courtesy of A Night In The Woods...

A Night In The Woods: Wilderness Horrors

Sam@Cult Labs 27th August 2012 11:52 AM

Check out this exclusive clip as Brody reveals himself to be a bit of a creepy sort:

A Night In The Woods: Private Footage

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th August 2012 01:07 PM

I see you used a quote from Gorezone's Dean Boor.

He's to reviewing what Alan Jones is to secrecy.

Sam@Cult Labs 4th September 2012 10:17 AM

Check out a new clip from A Night In The Woods:

A Night In The Woods: It’s In The Trees, It’s Coming!

Sam@Cult Labs 6th September 2012 03:19 PM

Another clip exclusive... and some musings on the legacy of Blair Witch:

A Night In The Woods: Blair Witch Legacy

Sam@Cult Labs 10th September 2012 02:09 PM

ON DVD TODAY:

A Night In The Woods: Out Now

Sam@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 03:21 PM

A Night In The Woods: The Legend Of The Woods

James Morton 16th September 2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 266618)
Oof! That's shockingly derivitive of Blair Witch, the trailer makes it look like blatant plagiarism! They even have the scene with the local old folk discussing the spooky local legend :doh: Would've been more interested if it wasn't a 'found footage', the production values look quite decent . . .

haven't seen ANITW but it has to be better the overrated BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Rik 16th September 2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 273808)
haven't seen ANITW but it has to be better the overrated BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

I like Blair Witch, but it was certainly better on the big screen, definitely more effective

James Morton 16th September 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 273823)
I like Blair Witch, but it was certainly better on the big screen, definitely more effective

i saw it at a cinema when first released
waste of money

Rik 16th September 2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 273826)
i saw it at a cinema when first released
waste of money

I watched it for nowt, my old company used to do all the electrics on the Virgin Cinemas, so I watched it while eating my dinner one day, basically in an empty cinema seeing as it was a test screening

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 06:03 PM

I luv the Blair Witch Project! Admittedly, it's a one-watch film but it definitely got me terrified when I saw it. I watched it on DVD, alone in my room - I think that would've been much better than the cinema, personally, as seeing it in the cinema kind of goes against what made the film so believable and ultimately scary.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 273839)
I luv the Blair Witch Project! Admittedly, it's a one-watch film but it definitely got me terrified when I saw it. I watched it on DVD, alone in my room - I think that would've been much better than the cinema, personally, as seeing it in the cinema kind of goes against what made the film so believable and ultimately scary.

I watched the documentary then the film straight after in a pitch black room and i really enjoyed it. The doc got me in the mood for it. Very creepy in places.

As teens we always used to camp out in fields and woods so things that go rustle in the dark always work with me.

Slippery Jack 16th September 2012 08:50 PM

Yeah I bought into the whole Blair Witch hype at the etime. Loved that faux documentary they made going into the backstory, and I still have a comic book that details the history! Superb film, and imo holds up on the small screen - great trio of performances, almost more a dramatic tragedy than horror . . . !

Daemonia 16th September 2012 11:11 PM

My hatred of BWP is legendary, so I'll keep off this thread.... :lol:

Vampix 17th September 2012 10:36 AM

I personally think BWP would have worked better for me if I'd actually caught a glimpse of something terrifying lurking in the woods, but you didn't. :rolleyes:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th September 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 273909)
I personally think BWP would have worked better for me if I'd actually caught a glimpse of something terrifying lurking in the woods, but you didn't. :rolleyes:

I think that is what divides people about that film so much. Personally, the fact you don't see whatever it is makes it all the more terrifying for me. It demands you to use your imagination which can often be much scarier than anything put on the screen. The same is true with Paranormal Activity. It also avoids the problem of having such a great build up and then it being completely ruined by some stupid looking monster.

Demoncrat 17th September 2012 06:13 PM

ANITW is not a clone btw, it peaked my interest anyhow....some odd bits in there, will divide genre fans just like TBWP, so there's the similarity for a start haha.;)

Daemonia 18th September 2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 273911)
It also avoids the problem of having such a great build up and then it being completely ruined by some stupid looking monster.

No, instead we get a great build up to....a pile of twigs. Wow. I'm scared. Seriously, the whole film is a total misfire IMO.

Okay, okay, so lots of people like it. But I'm not one of them. Like when they're freaking out because they no longer have the map. Er....look, idiots, you VIDEOTAPED the ****ing map and your camcorder has a playback screen. Rewind the tape and you'll see the map. D'oh! :lol:

I dunno, I can suspend logic and disbelief so far....but these numpties were taking the piss with their repeatedly stupid actions. A snotty nosed teen crying does not a horror film make. ;)