Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Berberian Sound Studio (2012) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/9974-berberian-sound-studio-2012-a.html)

Rik 3rd January 2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 308507)
Me to..........mind you HMV here always have a good stock of Shamless DVD's.

The one I used to buy stuff from had a massive Horror section and usually carried most of the stuff I wanted, sadly it shut down last year

tele1962 3rd January 2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 308510)
The one I used to buy stuff from had a massive Horror section and usually carried most of the stuff I wanted, sadly it shut down last year

They have got what seems huge problems.....pretty soon i think there will be no high street outlet for DVD & Blu Ray or even music as i think they are the only one left?.:shocked:

Rik 3rd January 2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 308511)
They have got what seems huge problems.....pretty soon i think there will be no high street outlet for DVD & Blu Ray or even music as i think they are the only one left?.:shocked:

It's looking that way

tele1962 3rd January 2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 308513)
It's looking that way

This is the sad truth of it, and it seems that downloads are what we are left with as joe public coudn't give a fek how it looks ......as long as they see it by hook or by crook.:mmph:

Good example being kids walking along with their phones blaring some shite that sounds awful and paying money to download it .......studios look at that and think quick buck why bother going for quality, any shite will do as no one is bothered............lets just make money!

keirarts 3rd January 2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 308516)
This is the sad truth of it, and it seems that downloads are what we are left with as joe public coudn't give a fek how it looks ......as long as they see it by hook or by crook.:mmph:

Yeah, I just lost my job partly down to this, we used to have people complaining they had seen everything on our shelves, even the stuff that had come out that week!

Rik 3rd January 2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 308517)
Yeah, I just lost my job partly down to this, we used to have people complaining they had seen everything on our shelves, even the stuff that had come out that week!

We have a Blockbusters in Halifax, in fact it's the only place to buy new DVDs/BDs etc other than a piss poor selection in WHSmith, but I always forget about it because it's not in the town centre, I might have a wander down there tomorrow and see what bargains I can find.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 308519)
We have a Blockbusters in Halifax, in fact it's the only place to buy new DVDs/BDs etc other than a piss poor selection in WHSmith, but I always forget about it because it's not in the town centre, I might have a wander down there tomorrow and see what bargains I can find.

Do WH Smith still sell dvd's?

They don't online. I have fifty pounds of vouchers for them. I'll check out my local one for BBS tomorrow.

tele1962 3rd January 2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

WHSmiths here have dropped Blu Ray altogether here........probably the one who made that decision is the one listening to music through his or her phone speakers.......

Rik 3rd January 2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 308524)
Do WH Smith still sell dvd's?

They don't online. I have fifty pounds of vouchers for them. I'll check out my local one for BBS tomorrow.

Yeah, don't expect to find anything worth buying though, I don't think I've ever bought anything other than stuff for the kids. I highly doubt they'll have BBS, although I could be wrong

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 308528)
Yeah, don't expect to find anything worth buying though, I don't think I've ever bought anything other than stuff for the kids. I highly doubt they'll have BBS, although I could be wrong

They always used to have a simillar stock to Woolworths so if BBS is likely to crack the top fifty they should have it.

tele1962 3rd January 2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 308530)
They always used to have a simillar stock to Woolworths so if BBS is likely to crack the top fifty they should have it.

Last time i was in top 5 last year summed it up.:mmph:

Noticed also that ASDA & Tesco & Morrisons have severly cut back on Blu Ray stock

Rik 3rd January 2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 308530)

Must be just my local one then, they usually have **** all, unlike Woolies which I believe I bought Old Boy from on release day years ago, they used to be great for most stuff

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 308532)
Last time i was in top 5 last year summed it up.:mmph:

Oh! :(

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 308533)
Must be just my local one then, they usually have **** all, unlike Woolies which I believe I bought Old Boy from on release day years ago, they used to be great for most stuff

The last time i looked at discs in Smiths which was probably about three years ago, they had the movie chart, tv chart, kids chart etc. I'm guessing they don't have the stock of old nowadays from what you and tele1962 have said.

Oh well i can always buy 8 issues of Classic Rock with my vouchers. :rolleyes:

PaulD 3rd January 2013 09:20 PM

They'll have it in ASDA as it has an ASDA exclusive cover which is hideous and completely misrepresents the film.

tele1962 3rd January 2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 308543)
They'll have it in ASDA as it has an ASDA exclusive cover which is hideous and completely misrepresents the film.

Paul is that on Blu mate?

PaulD 3rd January 2013 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 308547)
Paul is that on Blu mate?

I've only seen the ASDA cover online but it looks like its just for the DVD

Attachment 95430

Unbelievably poor.

tele1962 3rd January 2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 308549)

Attachment 95430

Unbelievably poor.

I wiil wait for the Blu from Amazon then.........oh and a little news, a good friend of mine worked on Blu/DVD so i know we are getting a quality product.;)

Slippery Jack 3rd January 2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 308549)

Attachment 95430

Unbelievably poor.

Oof! Nasty. Can understand why they did it though. The average ASDA punter ain't gonna know jack shit about giallo or care about foley work. Might as well dupe the casual customer by making it look like Saw instead :rolleyes: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2013 11:25 PM

I don't dislike that exclusive cover. When you actually look whats on it, it seems like a reasonable giallo cover if not the most stylish.

I like the eyes in the sound waves coming out of the mouth, a decent idea.

Rick Melton would have painted a huge arse or something on those lines instead. :tongue1:

PaulD 3rd January 2013 11:32 PM

I think it's bloody awful. It's the standard sort of look a lot of low-budget horror films got after Saw. I can't see anything remotely gialloesque in it myself. I can imagine a lot of disappointed ASDA shoppers as a result of this.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 308635)
I think it's bloody awful. It's the standard sort of look a lot of low-budget horror films got after Saw. I can't see anything remotely gialloesque in it myself. I can imagine a lot of disappointed ASDA shoppers as a result of this.

Its the execution that makes you say that, the elements are there. Its nothing special i totally agree but if it was produced differently, but using the same ideas - mouth, screaming, soundwaves, eyes, it would have been fine to me.

Slippery Jack 3rd January 2013 11:56 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I had my fingers crossed for this set of exclusive covers :( . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 308640)
I had my fingers crossed for this set of exclusive covers :( . . .

Very nice.

Whats the story behind them Jack?

Slippery Jack 4th January 2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 308643)
Whats the story behind them Jack?

Rejected designs by the same dude who designed the final poster. The Curzon cinema in Soho had them up on display and for sale during the films theatrical run. I found out about it a week too late :mmph: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 308644)
Rejected designs by the same dude who designed the final poster. The Curzon cinema in Soho had them up on display and for sale during the films theatrical run. I found out about it a week too late :mmph: . . .

A booklet showcasing those covers would have rounded the disc off very nicely indeed.

Slippery Jack 4th January 2013 12:15 AM

Just spotted two recent posts on Peter Strickland's blog, which seem to have been self-censored. Was he bashing the ASDA artwork maybe :confused:...

"Sorry everyone, it's best I hide the previous design post for now. Will explain soon, but best to lie low for now. Hopefully it will be up again tomorrow, but some phone calls to get through first."

Slippery Jack 4th January 2013 12:22 AM

...thanks internet, found his original quote. Yup, he agrees with me and Paul on the ASDA cover :lol: Hope Walmart aren't giving him any shit over his opinion . . .

Refused 4th January 2013 12:25 AM

This is what he said -

Quote:

Nobody would dream of packaging quince jam in a spam tin, so why should Berberian Sound Studio be packaged in such a way that promises the unrelenting gore normally associated with the ‘Saw’ franchise. It’s not about being an arty purist, it’s simply about the ethics of misleading fans of gore/horror who might buy the Berberian DVD in good faith. It’s not fair on them.

Slippery Jack 4th January 2013 12:43 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Collect the set :rolleyes: . . .

Refused 4th January 2013 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not forgetting this one -

darthelvis 4th January 2013 07:46 AM

Gutted I miss this at the cinema but should have my blu ray copy dropping through letterbox today for this weekend's viewing!

keirarts 4th January 2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

For cult stuff, BB isnt that great. (not unless you get lucky in the pre-owned bins, I got some real bargains through trade in) But for the bigger stuff its good. A lot of major chart blu's at £13.99 on pre-order. Also its rare that people check the pre-owned games for rarities and some bargains can be had there as well.

I think rental is on the way out, but BB to their credit have been making an effort to link the stores to online so customers can return their rents to stores and get discounts/freebies in store as well.

keirarts 4th January 2013 09:59 AM

Incidentally, not long before closure we got a whole bunch of BSS on rental, actually pretty good copy depth, shame really as I had hoped to push this to our regular customers.

Rik 4th January 2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 308688)
For cult stuff, BB isnt that great. (not unless you get lucky in the pre-owned bins, I got some real bargains through trade in) But for the bigger stuff its good. A lot of major chart blu's at £13.99 on pre-order. Also its rare that people check the pre-owned games for rarities and some bargains can be had there as well.

I think rental is on the way out, but BB to their credit have been making an effort to link the stores to online so customers can return their rents to stores and get discounts/freebies in store as well.

I bought my first ever copies of House By the Cemetery(cut Vipco DVD), Demons and Demons 2(platinum collection DVDs) and Zombie Flesh Eaters 2(Vipco DVD) from the Halifax BB store, all brand new.

Yeah, what with Lovefilm and Netflix available for a relatively small subs charge, rental from stores is slowly on it's way out. I'll admit I haven't been a member in Blockbusters for years because I use Lovefilm and the main library in town has a pretty good selection of the stuff I want, including a massive Horror section full of Shameless/Arrow/Anchor Bay etc titles

PaulD 4th January 2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 308652)
Collect the set :rolleyes: . . .

Hahah brilliant!

I hate that style of poster art so very much.

Susan Foreman 4th January 2013 11:34 AM

Berberian Sound Studio | Blu-Ray Review | Film @ The Digital Fix

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 308706)
Hahah brilliant!

I hate that style of poster art so very much.

I stand corrected. :o

I still maintain it has the correct elements though, they're just brought together in a bad way.

PaulD 4th January 2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 308722)
I stand corrected. :o

I still maintain it has the correct elements though, they're just brought together in a bad way.

After you explained what you meant I can see what you mean.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2013 02:30 PM

I've just picked up the Asda release of BBS.

They are selling it at £8 instore on dvd so thats fine by me. Hopefully it will soon become a limited edition shit cover if Peter Strickland has his way. :lol: