Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Berberian Sound Studio (2012) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/9974-berberian-sound-studio-2012-a.html)

Rik 4th January 2013 02:32 PM

Mine didn't arrive today from Amazon :mmph:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2013 02:33 PM

Just going back to the WH Smith debate, the Burnley branch had two new releases this week - Total Recall and an exercise dvd. WTF?

Their dvd section is a shadow of its former self and i never noticed any cd's at all. :rolleyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 308783)
Mine didn't arrive today from Amazon :mmph:

AARGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

He's at it again. :pound:

PaulD 4th January 2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 308786)
AARGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahah!

I want a Rik's Delivery Frustration thread

Rik 4th January 2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 308786)
AARGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, I'm not going to be moaning about it everyday until it comes, I just expected it to arrive today so I could watch it tonight. No big deal :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th January 2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 308791)
Don't worry, I'm not going to be moaning about it everyday until it comes, I just expected it to arrive today so I could watch it tonight. No big deal :)

Yeah, right. I believe you. ;)

Susan Foreman 4th January 2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 308791)
Don't worry, I'm not going to be moaning about it everyday until it comes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 308793)
Yeah, right. I believe you. ;)

Um...me too, MR ZFE!

sjconstable 5th January 2013 12:08 AM

I went and picked it up from HMV today, thought it was really good! There was a point where I was like 'please don't end here, do not end here', and thankfully it didn't end there, and instead got all ****ed up :cool: For fans of Inland Empire.

keirarts 5th January 2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 309117)
I went and picked it up from HMV today, thought it was really good! There was a point where I was like 'please don't end here, do not end here', and thankfully it didn't end there, and instead got all ****ed up :cool: For fans of Inland Empire.

I actually think inland empire is a very good comparison. Wont say too much more, a few people here havent seen BSS yet so I'm trying not to ruin anything while I rave about the film. Thinking about dedicating an afternoon sometime soon to everything on the blu-ray, I have the time on my hands! :lol:

sjconstable 5th January 2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 309150)
Thinking about dedicating an afternoon sometime soon to everything on the blu-ray, I have the time on my hands! :lol:

Yeah it's a nice package, listened to the audio commentary last night and thankfully Strickland doesn't give too much away at all about what exactly is going on. I was pleased to hear that he does consider it a horror though because I keep seeing people saying it isn't one, but really that's just because it doesn't fit their idea of horror (it fits mine).

keirarts 5th January 2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 309214)
Yeah it's a nice package, listened to the audio commentary last night and thankfully Strickland doesn't give too much away at all about what exactly is going on. I was pleased to hear that he does consider it a horror though because I keep seeing people saying it isn't one, but really that's just because it doesn't fit their idea of horror (it fits mine).

Its definately a horror, in the same way a film like repulsion is. Snooty barstewards try and maintain they arent because they still try and hug to the halliwells film guide assertion that there has been no good horror movies since the 40's. Every time one comes along they try and re-categorise it!

Beyond72 5th January 2013 10:10 PM

Pretty damn great, but...

One of those type of films I admire but don't totally love 100%. (Yet.)

*Spoilers*

I love the backdrop obviously and don't mind it didn't go where most viewers will expect, but have to admit it still left me a little underwhelmed at the very end. An enjoyable trip none the less!

Rik 5th January 2013 10:11 PM

Gonna watch this later on tonight I think or possibly at some point tomorrow, haven't decided yet

Beyond72 5th January 2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 309300)
Gonna watch this later on tonight I think or possibly at some point tomorrow, haven't decided yet

Be cool to watch before or after Mother of Tears! :nod:

Rik 5th January 2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 309301)
Be cool to watch before or after Mother of Tears! :nod:

That's what I'm thinking, those are my next two films to watch, just trying to decide in what order

Beyond72 5th January 2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 309302)
That's what I'm thinking, those are my next two films to watch, just trying to decide in what order

Maybe after...as I'm definitely in the mood for some Italian horror after watching it.

Grape Ape 13th January 2013 05:35 AM

Any word on a US release of this? The soundtrack is available but no word on a theatrical or Blu release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and the devil

keirarts 13th January 2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grape Ape (Post 311930)
Any word on a US release of this? The soundtrack is available but no word on a theatrical or Blu release.

Some enterprising person is sure to release it, I have no idea if the uk disc is locked. The soundtrack from broadcast is well worth picking up.

it'smebilly 13th January 2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grape Ape (Post 311930)

Apparently, IFC will be releasing it at some point. That's all I can find on the tinternet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Beyond72 13th January 2013 01:38 PM

*edit* Wrong thread! :doh:

Beyond72 14th January 2013 06:52 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0IcpyYQanP...ror+Design.png

BEYOND HORROR DESIGN: THE EQUESTRIAN VORTEX (Giancarlo Santini 1976)

:tongue1:

Paul@TheOverlook 14th January 2013 07:01 PM

Excellent!

plasterface 27th February 2013 09:10 PM

sound

got it for a fiver in asda , terrible cover, hmv's was a lot better . Anyone have any idea's what was going on near end, cant get film out of my head.

tele1962 27th February 2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 324516)
got it for a fiver in asda , terrible cover, hmv's was a lot better . Anyone have any idea's what was going on near end, cant get film out of my head.

As i see it, the making of the film is so far from his normal life it takes him over the edge where reality and fantasy become one and the same for him. He literally cracks up.

plasterface 27th February 2013 10:26 PM

studio

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 324518)
As i see it, the making of the film is so far from his normal life it takes him over the edge where reality and fantasy become one and the same for him. He literally cracks up.

that's what i thought at first , but started thinking that the whole making of film was in his head.

Beyond72 28th February 2013 12:17 PM

Even the director struggles to give a definite answer.

What I take from the film is, his disappointment with life comes to head. He should be excited about a new job, but it's not what he really wanted. And to add to that he's being treated badly and doesn't really fit in.
He's homesick for a while, but then slowly realises his home life isn't exactly the be and end all, the letters from his Mum just reinforce his disappointment with life. And working on a horror film for virtually every waking hour isn't gonna help matters!

Not claiming this as fact, just what I take from the film.

plasterface 28th February 2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 324592)
Even the director struggles to give a definite answer.

What I take from the film is, his disappointment with life comes to head. He should be excited about a new job, but it's not what he really wanted. And to add to that he's being treated badly and doesn't really fit in.
He's homesick for a while, but then slowly realises his home life isn't exactly the be and end all, the letters from his Mum just reinforce his disappointment with life. And working on a horror film for virtually every waking hour isn't gonna help matters!

Not claiming this as fact, just what I take from the film.

I get that, but is it a simple case of him losing the plot so to speak. Are his mother's letter's real? the actress reads one as if they are part of script, he seems to live in the studio, The whole flight situation where receptionist tells him there never was one makes me think instead of her percieved frostiness to him earlier was her dealing with someone mad, very Lynch

Refused 28th February 2013 06:11 PM

Maybe the film is actually the film in the film.

....my head hurts.

Rik 28th February 2013 06:37 PM

I've watched it three times now and I'm still no nearer to understanding it, probably never will either. I'm putting it down to one of life's many mysteries like what actually happened to Richie Edwards from the Manics, where Lord Lucan is, who thought making the Godfather Part III was a good idea.......:confused:

Slippery Jack 28th February 2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 324658)
I've watched it three times now and I'm still no nearer to understanding it, probably never will either.

But that's a good thing, right . . . ?

Rik 28th February 2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 324679)
But that's a good thing, right . . . ?

Definitely, not understanding it is one of the reasons why it has major rewatch value. That and the fact it's bloody brilliant too

tele1962 28th February 2013 08:09 PM

I think maybe this is the point.......you make your own mind up as to the meaning of it and every answer will be right. ;)

it'smebilly 28th February 2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 324696)
I think maybe this is the point.......you make your own mind up as to the meaning of it and every answer will be right. ;)

Exactly the same reason I really liked this too and similarly why Mulholland drive is one of my favourite films ever.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jiraffejustin 5th March 2013 01:29 AM

Does anybody else think BBS is to Giallo what Unforgiven was for westerns? Or am I overthinking it?

Daemonia 5th March 2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 325571)
Does anybody else think BBS is to Giallo what Unforgiven was for westerns? Or am I overthinking it?

Hmmm.....an interesting viewpoint, as Unforgiven was really a Western out of time, and BBS is very much a Giallo-esque piece that's out of its time. So, yeah, I can see your point.

I also think Berberian Sound Studio is an amazing piece of filmmaking. I see it as an ideas film more than a piece of conventional narrative filmmaking. It's a film full of concepts that you can latch onto and the ambiguous ending leaves you to make your own mind up. I understood it, but not in a way that I can convey with words, if that makes sense. It's that kind of film.

Jinx_Barkman 5th March 2013 03:52 AM

With all of the positivity radiating throughout this thread I am going to have to give this a look. Shame it hasn't received a US release yet.

plasterface 5th March 2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 325571)

hmmmm In that vain of thought I think AMER would be a suitable candidate.