Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Berberian Sound Studio (2012) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/9974-berberian-sound-studio-2012-a.html)

PaulD 3rd January 2013 10:32 PM

I think it's bloody awful. It's the standard sort of look a lot of low-budget horror films got after Saw. I can't see anything remotely gialloesque in it myself. I can imagine a lot of disappointed ASDA shoppers as a result of this.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 308635)
I think it's bloody awful. It's the standard sort of look a lot of low-budget horror films got after Saw. I can't see anything remotely gialloesque in it myself. I can imagine a lot of disappointed ASDA shoppers as a result of this.

Its the execution that makes you say that, the elements are there. Its nothing special i totally agree but if it was produced differently, but using the same ideas - mouth, screaming, soundwaves, eyes, it would have been fine to me.

Slippery Jack 3rd January 2013 10:56 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I had my fingers crossed for this set of exclusive covers :( . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 308640)
I had my fingers crossed for this set of exclusive covers :( . . .

Very nice.

Whats the story behind them Jack?

Slippery Jack 3rd January 2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 308643)
Whats the story behind them Jack?

Rejected designs by the same dude who designed the final poster. The Curzon cinema in Soho had them up on display and for sale during the films theatrical run. I found out about it a week too late :mmph: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd January 2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 308644)
Rejected designs by the same dude who designed the final poster. The Curzon cinema in Soho had them up on display and for sale during the films theatrical run. I found out about it a week too late :mmph: . . .

A booklet showcasing those covers would have rounded the disc off very nicely indeed.

Slippery Jack 3rd January 2013 11:15 PM

Just spotted two recent posts on Peter Strickland's blog, which seem to have been self-censored. Was he bashing the ASDA artwork maybe :confused:...

"Sorry everyone, it's best I hide the previous design post for now. Will explain soon, but best to lie low for now. Hopefully it will be up again tomorrow, but some phone calls to get through first."

Slippery Jack 3rd January 2013 11:22 PM

...thanks internet, found his original quote. Yup, he agrees with me and Paul on the ASDA cover :lol: Hope Walmart aren't giving him any shit over his opinion . . .

Refused 3rd January 2013 11:25 PM

This is what he said -

Quote:

Nobody would dream of packaging quince jam in a spam tin, so why should Berberian Sound Studio be packaged in such a way that promises the unrelenting gore normally associated with the ‘Saw’ franchise. It’s not about being an arty purist, it’s simply about the ethics of misleading fans of gore/horror who might buy the Berberian DVD in good faith. It’s not fair on them.

Slippery Jack 3rd January 2013 11:43 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Collect the set :rolleyes: . . .