View Single Post
Old 21st December 2011, 12:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I hear what you're saying, James. And as a film in its own right I might have been more forgiving. However, try this: watch Suspiria, Inferno and then Mother of Tears in immediate succession. You'll quickly see how it's gone to shit with the final instalment. It's an embarrassment to the trilogy. To conclude such a magnificent series with this turd is what I found most insulting.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing that it's unsuitable for the third in the trilogy, but I disagree that it is a bad film.

Take the dates, Suspiria ('77), Inferno ('80), Mother of Tears ('07). I'm sorry, but I just wouldn't expect a film made 27 years later from when the director was at his peak to be exactly the same - so watching them back to back, when it's clear the director has drastically changed his style, seems somewhat futile. Again, it's his fault for making it the third in the trilogy and I wouldn't argue that.

But on its own terms - which is how I personally prefer to take the film - it's great fun. Despite my reverence of the first two films, I can't ignore the basic fact that Mother of Tears still entertains me no end.