View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:06 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
See, I don't think it is generic, as other than an affectionate and glorious hark back to 70's/80's Italian horror it's still a wild and out there film. It appears to reference (intentionally or not, who knows) everything from Fulci to Bava to Argento himself - the ending is particularly Fulci-esque, and there's a few nods to Argento's earlier work, even if it has been stripped of the visual aesthetic we're accustomed to. It's less Argento trying to emulate himself (and if you want to see a modern interpretation of that visual aesthetic, I recommend Amer) than ironically winking at the whole scene and having fun with it.
Okay, granted, it has that kind of 80's throwback feel. But more of a late 80's Italian-cinema-in-decline vibe. In that context, and I was shown the film, I'd think it was a Bruno Mattei knock-off of an Argento-styled film. But certainly not from Argento himself. In fact, Mattei could probably have done better.

The thing is, the film isn't 'wild and out there', it's incredibly restrained and dull. Not 'out there' at all. Unless a couple of goth-wannabe-witches and three people smashing up a car is considered apocalyptic and 'out there'. Sorry, I don't buy it. It's inexcusable rubbish form a former master of horror. Put against his classic works, it pales in comparison and shamefully goes and hides in the corner.