View Single Post
Old 24th December 2011, 01:01 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Well as you once again compare it to his earlier works, then it doesn't stand a chance - you've made your choice. As I said before I take it on it's own terms and you wouldn't find any argument that those films are in a league of their own.

And I always thought it was quite wild, unless you don't consider babies being dropped of bridges, mad monkeys, Daria Nicolodi's white witch, Udo Kier, plenty of nakedness and some good, gory kill scenes wild - not to mention the goth witches. Sure it's camp of the highest order - but I like that. I notice that scene crops up a lot from the detractors of the film. It certainly isn't boring, but I wouldn't argue that point as taste is subjective after all.
It's hard not to compare it to his other works. As with any director, comparions will be made, observations on how it fits in with the whole body of work. So yes, I think it's acceptable to draw such comparisons. And when you look at how Mother of Tears fits in with his body of work, you can clearly see that it's an inferior work. So, compared with what he's capable of, it's clear to see that it's rubbish. In my opinion, of course.