View Single Post
Old 24th December 2011, 12:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
It's hard not to compare it to his other works. As with any director, comparions will be made, observations on how it fits in with the whole body of work. So yes, I think it's acceptable to draw such comparisons. And when you look at how Mother of Tears fits in with his body of work, you can clearly see that it's an inferior work. So, compared with what he's capable of, it's clear to see that it's rubbish. In my opinion, of course.
And you're welcome to that opinion - it was indeed a mistake to make it the third of the trilogy. But there's a world of difference between 'inferior work' and 'rubbish' - I concur with the former, but disagree with the latter. Considering the time between the films - 27/30 years - and the fact that during that time we've seen the director change considerably, I simply didn't expect another Suspiria or Inferno. I was surprised by how much I actually did enjoy it (trust me, I was prepared to hate it).

But I also can't write off what is also a wonderfully entertaining film in its own right (IMO), based on the fact it doesn't stand up to a film from 27/30 years ago. But again, I wouldn't argue that as it's all down to personal taste and I fully respect your opinion in not liking it.

Good discussing with you. Merry Christmas!