Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th March 2012, 08:12 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Question Is There Such Thing As A Perfect Film?

Something I tend to think about quite a bit (mainly because I tend to be very analytical in nature): is there such thing as a perfect film?

Even though there are a lot of films I love, I'd have to say 'no'.

Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris is as close to perfection as it comes for me, but there are plenty of other films that come close.

I recently joined Criticker where you can rank and review films, partly to help me in my ongoing quest to produce some sort of 'top film' list, and partly because I love that kind of thing - even more so where films are concerned.

Because perfection is such a subjective thing, does anyone else believe in the concept of a perfect film?
Old 7th March 2012, 10:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Something I tend to think about quite a bit (mainly because I tend to be very analytical in nature): is there such thing as a perfect film?

Even though there are a lot of films I love, I'd have to say 'no'.

Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris is as close to perfection as it comes for me, but there are plenty of other films that come close.

I recently joined Criticker where you can rank and review films, partly to help me in my ongoing quest to produce some sort of 'top film' list, and partly because I love that kind of thing - even more so where films are concerned.

Because perfection is such a subjective thing, does anyone else believe in the concept of a perfect film?
I do believe there is a perfect film out there for everyone as everyone's perceptions and emotional triggers are all different and unique.

A perfect film could always change though depending on your mood

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 7th March 2012, 10:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes: A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.
vipco and Demoncrat like this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 7th March 2012, 10:26 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

My head wants to say, no, there cannot be a perfect film.

But my heart says that every one of the many, many times it has seen Once Upon A Time In The West it has seen perfection.

I cannot see or hear any flaw in OUATITW. So I have to conclude that it is perfect.

Now, if we want to set perfection as an empirical measuring point, we have a problem. OUATITW is flawless to me, but there are those for whom it is not even their favourite Leone film, never mind favourite film. So it cannot be perfect to them.

You cannot apply the term "perfect" to art. It is a scientific term with strict meaning. Art cannot be measured thus. So, no, there cannot be a Perfect Film. But in my many years of watching films, yes, I have seen a perfect film.
Old 7th March 2012, 10:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Yes: A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.
An interesting choice: what makes it perfect for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
You cannot apply the term "perfect" to art. It is a scientific term with strict meaning. Art cannot be measured thus. So, no, there cannot be a Perfect Film. But in my many years of watching films, yes, I have seen a perfect film.
Very true: whilst the term 'perfect' is definitive in meaning, perfection itself is subjective to the individual. Plus, from my perspective it is also something that is ever-changing; tastes change; nothing is forever etc. (to an extent).
Old 7th March 2012, 10:42 PM
Cult Addict

Oddly the films that are perfect in my view or as near as, tend to be films I only ever watch once. I'm always afraid that if I watch them again it will tarnish my original feelings for the film. This doesn't happen with music or books for some reason.
Old 7th March 2012, 11:19 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Yes: The Goonies
Old 8th March 2012, 02:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gregorys Girl

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th March 2012, 02:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
An interesting choice: what makes it perfect for you?
Everything really: the acting, direction, cinematography, music, editing, production design - everything you can think of.

I'd have classed THE SEARCHERS and ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST as perfect but they lose points slightly for having animals killed on camera (buffalo in TS and a bird in OUATITW). I know those scene's are only brief but I just don't like to see it.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 8th March 2012, 10:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Agree to lot of comments but warriors has got to be in this catagory watch it at least 3 times a yr every yr..
vipco and dis like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!