View Single Post
Old 20th March 2012, 12:48 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Frankenstein Must be Destroyed (1969)

Frankenstein is on a massive rampage in this one - he dashes through the film, raping, murdering and experimenting like mad! This is fast and furious and breathlessly entertaining.

The Baron (Cushing) has his eye on a former collaborator and wants his brain. His former colleague has gone mad and is in the local nuthouse and Frankenstein wants to transplant his brain into another body, cure him of his insanity, and learn the secrets of his old friend. Along the way he blackmails a young couple (Simon Ward and Veronica Carlson) to assist him in his nefarious activities, especially as the young man works at the asylum. But things quickly unravel once the Baron transplants the brain into Freddie Jones, whose wonderfully off-kilter performance really adds another dimension to the story.

Probably the darkest and nastiest film Hammer ever made, the Baron is truly evil and without conscience in this entry. He murders, blackmails, rapes and generally causes mayhem wherever he goes. He's unashamedly nasty and vindictive here, gone is the beneficent Baron who at least had good motives at heart. In this one he just wants to fulfill personal ambition and he removes everyone in his way.

Fisher directs again and does a fine job. The cast are impeccable and, I have to say, I think this is probably my favourite in the series.

Horror of Franknestein (1970)

Cushing is absent in this one and Ralph Bates attempts to fill his shoes. Bates is no Cushing though, nevertheless he does a fine job in his own style.

It's a basic retelling of the original tale, only this time with more blood, boobs and some jokes. It's all a bit of a mish-mash though and for a supposed comedic retelling of the story, it's not funny at all, really. Dennis Price is great fun as the provider of body parts for the Baron and Kate O'Mara and Veronica Carlson are both lovely as the two women in the Baron's life.

Frankenstein is portrayed more as a kind of scientist playboy in this offering, which is often at odds with his cold clincism. Nice of Hammer to try something different, but it's a bit of a misfire unfortunately. Having said that, this isn't a bargain basement Hammer, all the sumptuous set design and top class acting you'd expect from Hammer is here. It's just a shame the story itself is so lame, as everything else is just perfect. Although the lumbering giant monster as portrayed by Dave Prowse seems a bit out of place.

Overall, it's not great and I was flagging at some points. The film is a little overlong, in my opinion. But I can't say I didn't enjoy it because I did, just not as much as the other films in the Hammer Frankenstein series. And the ending is shit. Not very dramatic at all. It was as if everyone was bored and just wanted to go home at this point. I can imagine them saying 'Oh, just infer that he's dumped Prowse in the acid tank and imply he's been destroyed, no need even for any special effects!'

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

The Baron gets dandy! Frankenstein has faked his own death and is working as the house doctor at an insane asylum. When a young surgeon, Simon (Shane Briant), found guilty of similar crimes to Frankenstein, ends up in the asylum, the Baron quickly enlists him to assist him in his diabolical experiments. And together they cobble together a rather unsightly creature that's hairy as f***. But the Baron is undeterred and proceeds regardless, declaring he'll never stop experimenting. Simon is none-too-happy, especially regarding the Baron's intentions for the lovely but mute Angel (Madeleine Smith). But it all comes unstuck, as it usually does, with the inmates eventually ripping the creature apart. It's also interesting that Frankie's hands are bad again in this one, after miraculously being able to use them just fine in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed! But it's an inconsistency that's easily overlooked.

Frankenstein is a lot more flamboyant in this final entry but no less single-minded in his quest to create life. You'd think he would have learnt by now, but no. Cushing is mesmerising as Frankenstein and gets good support from Shane Briant, Madeleine Smith, Charles Lloyd-Pack and Bernard Lee. A triumphant end to a remarkable series of films, and I'm glad Fisher was able to bookend the series by directing this final instalment. It's probably the bloodiest of the lot, too. This is probably down to it being shot in the more permissive 70's and horror had become a lot more graphic since the days of the early Hammer films.

I've really enjoyed watching this series again and watching them in order, which is something I've never done. Great stuff.