View Single Post
Old 19th April 2012, 04:58 PM
Cultist

I bought the Edna Pearson uncut eps when they were released so am not bothered either way.

I enjoyed the Edna story by the way, especially when we discover that she is not the innocent, sweet little old lady she pretends to be. Her hubby is a fool!

A great performance by actress, Vivean Gray who had starred in The Sullivans as Ida Jessop and later went on to even greater fame as busybody, Mrs Mangel in Neighbours (filmed in the same studios as Prisoner)

I cannot remember what the original 'cut' episodes were like but am guessing that these must have been substantially edited given that, from watching the uncut version, the Edna Pearson arc was a major storyline running through about 4 weeks worth of episodes.

Even though I'm aware that the series was generally taped 5 or 6 months in advance, depending on the part of Australia you lived in, I can imagine that this must have seriously affected the production schedule of Prisoner as it would have reduced the lead to air date of episodes being recorded by around a month, given the amount of scenes which must have ended up on the cutting room floor.

To compensate for this, does anyone know whether Grundys / Ten over time started recording above and beyond the 2 episodes a week to restore the lead to air date of episodes to what it had been prior to the Edna Pearson debacle?.

Also, I've always thought it odd that Prisoner episodes were recorded so far in advance of their broadcast dates. For example, how could producers know whether characters would be a hit with viewers and if they should keep them in the show or not?