View Single Post
Old 21st April 2012, 11:56 AM
Ex-member

Question Bigas Luna's ANGUISH

Hello everyone. I am new here, so I hope you are all well.

I would love to see Shameless or Arrow release Bigas Luna's superb 1987 psychological horror thriller ANGUISH, which stars Zelda Rubinstein (from POLTERGEIST fame) and Michael Lerner (from HILL STREET BLUES and THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE).

I own this on a bare-bones Region 1 DVD, courtesy of Blue Underground, but the basic story follows Rubinstein and Lerner as a ever-so-slightly deranged mother and son. Via hypnosis and torture, she gets her son - a serial-killing madman - to go around killing young men and women, in order to get their eyeballs! The eyeballs are to help cure her son's vision problem - he wears huge pint-glass spectacles, despite being an opthalmologist/optician!

This is undertaken, within a cinema auditorium, in which the audience are watching a fictional horror film called The Mommy. In The Mommy, another cinema audience are watching the genuine silent classic THE LOST WORLD.

As the killing goes on, the viewers (us) have to work out who is being killed, and why. Are we really seeing what we think we are?

It's a short film, at around 85 minutes, but a great one-of-a-kind piece of para-cinema, that would easily pass through the BBFC's hallowed halls, with an uncut 18 certificate.

So, how about it Arrow, or Shamless? Any chance of seeing this cracking (and laregly unheard of) film in a lovely yellow or white Blu-Ray case, please? The trailer can be viewed on YouTube, by looking for "OAW_7xghhkw" for those who want to get a better idea. (Sorry, it seems I can't post direct links, as I'm a newbie. )