View Single Post
Old 16th March 2009, 06:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWNINJA View Post
I have Hellraiser on VHS and it includes "The Art of Clive Barker" which I have never seen appear on any of the DVD releases. It's great too!

Yeah! I have that one too and am glad I held on to it, given the doc's absence in the otherwise excellent ABUK box set.

As for a quick run down of the "Hellraiser" films:

-The first one is a modern classic in the best sense of the word, great performances, great direction , great score....only Kirsty's boyfriend gets a bit irritating towards the end...but who's perfect!
--"Hellbound" is my fave too, but it should be best watched back-to-back with the first film for full pleasure.
-"Hell on Earth" is the early 90's (as in "Nightmare on Elm Street") idea of a "Hellraiser" for the US teen market, yet director Anthony Hickox still manages to pull off an entertaining, slick, fast and gory ride...you shouldn't expect the heights of either the first or the second flick though....
-"Bloodline" is my least favourite entry in the whole series: No wonder Kevin Yagher jumped the ship considering in which direction "Dimension" went with this one. Watchable, but one hell of a missed opportunity!
-"Inferno": "Hellraiser" as a cop thriller? Well, at least Pinhead works better in his supporting role than as the "Freddy clone of the previous two films.
-"Hellseeker": As DTDVD B-fare, it works well enough to pass as a poor man's "Jacob's Ladder".
- "Deader": This one has some atmospheric scenes and an overall more interesting plot going for it, though I hear some already complaining about too little screentime for Pinhead etc....I liked it.
-"Hellworld": This is the slasher movie amongst the "Hellraiser" flicks and viewed as such- particularly compared to the somewhat similarly themed "Halloween: Resurrection"- it doesn't fare too bad. Despite that I've always had a soft spot for a movie featuring a babe in tight leatherpants getting chased through the woods....