Thread: Spanish Horror
View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:26 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I recently assembled a small "Spanish section" whilst finally putting all my film collection on shelves finally.

There have been some excellent modern Spanish contributions.

There was Jaume Balagueró's excellent adaptation of Ramsey Campbell's The Nameless/Los sin nombre from 1999 (which does a remarkable job of translating the odd, dreamy atmosphere of the novel to the screen); there was El rey de la montaña/King Of The Hill from 2007 (sadly Gonzalo López-Gallego would go on to make the dreadful Apollo 18, but I try not to hold that against him!); The Nun/La monja (2005, d: Luis de la Madrid) which was a silly but atmospheric and enjoyable film, quite beautifully shot; the opinion splitting The Abandoned from Nacho CerdÃ* in 2005, which I thought was just superb...and that's before one even considers the mighty The Orphanage!

Of course the classics from Jorge Grau and Amando de Ossorio and their ilk bear remembering, but they do rather overshadow some slightly lesser known crackers: The Hanging Woman/La orgÃ*a de los muertos from 1973, directed by José Luis Merino; Vengeance Of The Zombies/La rebelión de las muertas, also 1973, by the often under-rated director León Klimovsky; the fun Gothic romp Il castello dalle porte di fuoco/Blood Castle, Merino again, from 1970...and so on...

And they are just the ones I can see to my right on the shelf! So many others to be found!

Last edited by Gojirosan; 3rd August 2012 at 01:50 PM.