View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyther View Post
I thought Big Guns was pretty balls to the wall action, with Alain Delon as a totally badass anti-hero for the ages! But still need to dig into my copy of Convoy Busters!

Totally with you on Confessions. Brilliant film with dialog which I felt was really well done, but yeah, definitely a drama more than an action piece. Love Street Law, but there are so many beat up prints of Death Rage out there, it's bound to lose something in translation. Still, some really cool set pieces in there, nonetheless!
Delon makes for a fine assassin in BG and i especially like the execution scene on board a moving train. Taut Duccio Tessari direction too coupled with a memorable music score imo.

The gorgeous Olga Karlatos pops up in CB too if i'm not mistaken and i thought Martin Balsam and Franco Nero made a good double-act in COAPC with Marilu Tolo looking lovely.

Nero was also great paired up with the likeable and much-missed Giancarlo Prete in SL imo and this film also benefitted from the likes of the similarly departed Romano Puppo and Massimo Vanni in ruthless bad guy roles. Another solid soundtrack too.

DR had it's moments but PF's print was a pretty poor fullscreen affair and i don't know if any footage was missing from the film. Still, any old port in a storm as they say and i'd rather watch DR this way than not watch it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Convoy Busters isn't bad but it's lower-tier Merli. His best films are definitely those directed by Lenzi but the Stelvio Massi pictures are still good fun.
Agreed on the Massi Merlis and i look forward to checking out Lenzi's outings a.s.a.p.