View Single Post
Old 18th October 2012, 11:02 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I've never been a big fan of Argento.The only films of his I really rate are: Deep Red, Tenebrae and Phenomena.I find Suspiria and Inferno overrated.I haven't seen any of his more later films, and that includes: Opera, Trauma, The Stendhal Syndrome and Sleepless. I very much doubt I'll be seeking out his version of Dracula too.
I think you should try Opera at least, I thought that was pretty good. Stendhal has its moments, but I found it a bit of a mish-mash and seeing it again recently with its dated CGI FX it's obvious it hasn't aged well. Sleepless was almost a return to form, but didn't quite get there.

I agree with you on Deep Red and Tenebrae though. I also rather like Suspiria, I think it's very nightmarish and very effective and the maestro's magic is still in full force at this point. But my preference has always been for his earlier standard Giallo work (without the supernatural creeping in). Deep Red was the crowning achievement of this era. I was glad when he returned to this style with Tenebrae, dispensing with the fantastic and making it more real-world orientated.

Argento's work is a bit of a mixed bag, but I'd say that between 1969 and 1982 he never put a foot wrong IMO. Phenomena is one I've never been able to warm to, but that may have something to do with the awful heavy metal music that peppers the soundtrack and the more stilted than usual acting. The opening sequence is pure brilliance though, I'll admit that.