View Single Post
Old 26th October 2012, 01:27 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

My issue with remakes is this: it's not that I hold films sacred, but unless they're going to radically alter the story, they're just showing me something I've already seen and know. That's why something like Hills Have Eyes works so well - they completely reinvented the story so you really couldn't anticipate what was coming next. They kept the core idea enough so that it WAS a remake, but altered it dramatically too. Then you get something like The Omen remake and you know exactly what's coming. They're just telling the same story all over again. Put it this way, Stephen King writes a book, you read it. Another person writes the same story again with minimal changes - would you read basically the same book again? I don't, I want something new.

Hollywood is basically cannibalising itself. It's run short on originality and they place their bets on what has sold previously rather than gamble on something new. But, as I always say - they want new ideas? Well listen up studio execs, there's these things called libraries full of original work....